Print Quality

FACzenFACzen Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited December 20, 2010 in Finishing School
OK, I'm about to test BayPhoto's output service. I posted a few new pictures for testing, then I downloaded the icc profile for their printer and ran a soft proof onscreen in CS5.

YUCK.

No blacks. All washed out. I couldn't even figure out how to correct it within reason. And I wonder if I should. Could it be that I should be seeing this onscreen but the prints will come out?

Here's a test image: It's a pretty extreme night shot. Would you attempt to correct it further?

http://faczen.smugmug.com/Professional/Gallery-Series/15119779_qdoDq#1130358176_P6c6X-A-LB

Glenn

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    Looks pretty good to me.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 18, 2010
    Lovely shot of the house at night with the starry sky.

Your blacks in the sky, are black, they do read 1,1,1 or 3,3,3.

But your highlights, even your specular highlights of the lightbulbs themselves, are merely grey.

Specular highlights should read should read north of 250,250,250 as should the stars in your sky. Yours do not read so on my monitor screen. I think you need more pop in your highlights, a steeper curve in the upper highlights, so that the stars are truly white or even specular, unless it wasa foggy night that you are wanting to capture.

Some of these choices come dawn to artistic intent, of course, but lights and stars should not usually read as light greys, but as white or specular highlights, I tend to think. I do see the color in your stars, but they still look flat to me. Most images are best rendered taking advantage of the full black to white range of the paper 0,0,0 to 255,255,255

Your thoughts about my suggestions?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    PF is right. This image will print very, very dark. Something like this is in order (scroll right to compare)

20101219-tcuhdf8j3frxjtk4tnf4k2n874.jpg
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2010
    if you are seeing 'washed out' ... I'd grab a color monitor STAT.
    //Leah
  • FACzenFACzen Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited December 19, 2010
    Thanks, folks. FWIW, I have two Spyder calibrated monitors but as I said, when I tried to soft proof the image in CS5 it showed up as muddy grey with no solid blacks. Andy points out that it will print very dark. Hmmm. BTW, Andy, your version looks just like the one I had created by adding an adjustment layer. I had discarded it because i thought it would be TOO bright! I guess I'm going to make a couple of version and send them to Bay Photo in a reasonable size so I can evaluate them. As I write this, I'm uploading 103 images on the other computer -- this one was the most extreme so I used it as a point of discussion. I'll order a couple of larger format prints of other images and if you want, report back here as to how well they came out.

Thanks again!

Glenn
  • NormanPCNNormanPCN Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited December 20, 2010
    What options did you use for Soft Proof? Preserve RGB numbers should be off. That can wash things out.

-Norman
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    FACzen wrote: »
    OK, I'm about to test BayPhoto's output service. I posted a few new pictures for testing, then I downloaded the icc profile for their printer and ran a soft proof onscreen in CS5.
    YUCK.

Since they probably demand you send them the data in sRGB and not using the output profile, its a moot point. Its another lame workflow where labs want you to think they are implementing color management when they are not. If someone provides an ICC profile, they should let you use it fully; control rendering intent, Black Point Compensation and conversion using (ideally) the ACE CMM. We have no idea if they even use that profile for conversion (unlikely) or if the profile represents the actual output device (unlikely).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/