Options

Monitor Calibration software?

JayClark79JayClark79 Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
edited December 28, 2010 in Finishing School
Can anyone recommend a monitor calibration software? Im looking for something not crazy expensive, just something that can get the job done.

My Site http://www.jayclarkphotography.com

Canon Rebel T1i | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm 2.8 | Canon 75-300mm EF f 4.5 III | Opteka Grip | Canon 580exII | 2 Vivitar 383 Flash's and a home studio setup.

Comments

• Options
    dberthiadberthia Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    I've been happy with Spyder Express. Version 3 is around $80 at Amazon, but for my money version 2 works great, and you might be able to find it cheaper somewhere.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 19, 2010
    What is your budget? Under $200 ?? Are you using wide gamut monitors?

If you already have a colorimeter, ColorEyes Display Pro is software only.

If you do not have a colorimeter already, the Eye1D2 gets high regard, as does the Spyder3. I used a Spyder2 for several years.

The Hueys are cheaper, but get more mixed reviews, with some folks not finding success with them. Some folks seem to love them.

I have been using my Eye1D2 for the last year, and find good matches between my screen ( 30 in Apple Cinema Display ) and my prints from my Epson Stylus 3800, and my prints from EZ Prints or Bay Photo.

Amazon has the Eye1D2 with software for $200.00
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    I have a spyder2express. Seems to work well. I wish I had ponied up for a colormunki, though, and if you make prints, I'd suggest you take that route even at the increased cost.
  • Options
    gloogloo Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    I have the spyder3 express and it works well, especially considering the low cost compared to some others.
    "An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Canon Rebel XS
    17-85 USM
    100mm 2.8 macro lens
    100-300mm usm
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    You get what you pay for! In terms of the software, if you can’t target the three important calibration aim points (white point, Luminance, the most important, and TRC gamma), don’t waste your money. See:http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/why_are_my_prints_too_dark.shtml

The EyeOne Display-2 with the right software option gets the job done. But next time, get a dedicated “smart monitor” with software and instrument designed from the group up for the task. This is also covered in the article referenced above.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Win 7 !!!
    Just a thought but - I've had good luck with calibration within Win7. It walks you through all the vital steps. Personally I can see no difference between it and my Huey Pro.

Brady
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    Another vote for the basic SpyderXpress. Version 3 is under $70 (with free shipping) at B&H.

Version 2 works well provided you're not using a wide-gamut monitor. You might be able to pick up a used copy on Ebay or Craigslist for around $20!
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    i use the eye 1 display 2, and it has been simple and flawless. However, it costs more than some of the others mentioned.
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    FWIW, any software for calibration that does not allow you to target luminesce (cd/m2) is basically worthless.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,951 moderator
    edited December 28, 2010
    I am also interested in this topic, having just received a Dell U2410 for Christmas and hoping to use it for photo editing in conjunction with macbook pro. Does the Spyder 3 Elite make sense for this combo? I have a son in college who would be happy to utilize whatever I get to calibrate his macbook and dell monitors as well, so at least it would have the potential of helping a couple of family members.
  • Options
    tgrisiertgrisier Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    I just got the Spyder 3 Pro and am very pleased with it. It was easy and fast.