Options

Central Oregon Coast in January

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited December 22, 2010 in Location, Location, Location!
I will be headed out to the central OR coast for about a week in early Jan. I plan on day-tripping, using Lincoln City as the base-camp and heading mainly south (unless someone has some better recommendations).

I'd like to head to out-of-the-way, locals only know spots. The central coast is ripe with well visited, over-loaded tourist venues.

I am looking for insights, tips, hints, and places less visited yet that provide the location, vistas, and opportunity to not only kick back and decompress some, from a very busy 4th qtr., all the while avoiding the general tourists buses and still be glad I brought along my photo gear.

So, what are some of your favorite "secret" photo locatiions (I promise, I won't tell a soul), pull-off-the-road turnouts usually missed by most, must see coves, almost always empty beaches, places you'd go back to again and again?

Thanks in advance to all who stop bye here and provide replies!! :clap

Comments

• Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2010
    Don't miss: Depoe Bay, Beverly Beach State Park, and the Oregon Dunes. The Sea Lion caves are cool, too, but a little touristy. Oh, and Heceta Head and the tidepools.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2010
    Thanks!!
    Aquaticvideographer...

Many thanks for the tips!

Very much appreciated.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    Wet conditions...
    I would be prepared for some very wet conditions along the Oregon Coast in January.

I recommend both a cover for your camera and a weatherproof jacket of some type for you.

I remember seeing tourists in the Hoh River Rain Forest on Washington State's Olympic Peninsula who had to rip arm and neck holes in garbage bags to use as rain coats. They surely weren't Boy Scouts because the motto "Be Prepared" didn't fit a person visiting a rain forest without rain gear.

BTW: Kata makes a fine rain cover I used mine in Alaska on a 30D and 17-55mm f/4L IS lens...
    http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=1G1ACGW_ENUS392&q=kata+rain+covers&wrapid=tlif12929032858481&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5762019059485593282&ei=bSMQTb3_J4GqsAOK8qG4Ag&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=image&resnum=4&ved=0CEEQ8gIwAw#

An adequate but, not heavy duty cover is the OP/TECH Rainsleeve.

http://optechusa.com/rainsleeve.html
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    I would be prepared for some very wet conditions along the Oregon Coast in January.

I recommend both a cover for your camera and a weatherproof jacket of some type for you.

Agreed, although it's also likely that you will experience some sun and partly/cloudy conditions. Along the central coast, people (like my inlaws) often brag about "4 seasons in a day".
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    A wet OR Coast in Jan.
    Hi rpcrowe..

Funny you should mention weather protection for my gear. I had been investigating this issue for some time in anticipation of exactly the conditions you mentioned.

In the investigation process, along with the products you identified, I came across what appears to be a rather new entry into the field, Camera Duck [www.cameraduck.com].

The Camera Duck (SLRS) is useable for most camera bodies with a standard lens up to200mm, an optional telephoto sleeve (ASLRS) is available for longer lenses. The Camera Duck also has internal, sewn-in, heat warmer pockets for cold weather use (you slip in a gel pocket warmer to heat up the air surrounding the camera). For those of us who shoot in extreme cold environments, the Polar cover product adds a secondary thinsulate insulated cover used over the regular Camera Duck. The Camera Duck only weighs 1.5oz and the Polar cover is only about 6oz so even when used together you'll barely notice the extra weight in your kit.

I JUST received my Camera Duck, and will be (a) field testing it in OR and (b) testing the product in the coming frigid winter nights as I engage in some astro-photography. I'll be writing up my evaluation later in Jan.

I plan to take the Duck on many of my fowl weather shooting trips this year.

Thanks again for the tips and insights. I hope to have at least some sun, as a diversion.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    Wet conditions
    I had the VERY fortunate and RARE opportunity to spend six days in the upper west coast area of WA's Olympic Peninsula, including the Hoh River Rain Forest in April hiking, walking, filing memory cards, and enjoying the entire area...without a single drop of rain!

I was truly amazed, especially from all of the stories I had heard, the research into the area's repiutation for moisture and the rain/water proof gear I packed in anticipation.

Had a super time, would recommend the Olympic Peninsula, upper west coast down through Forks, WA and especially going to the Hoh, to anyone wanting an "other world" experience, stepping into Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Lost World!
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Here's what I do...
    I always carry an OPTECH Rainsleeve for each camera in the back pocket of my shooting vest. The Rainsleeve is very inexpensive and so light in weight that I don't know it is there...

In addition to rain or snow, it is handy to have that protection available in blowing dust and salt spray.

When I am going out into areas where I know it will rain or where there is a high probability of precipitation; I use my Kata Cover. I have a lot of confidence in the Kata since I shot for ten days in the rain on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula. I got the Kata on sale at Calumet camera a few days before my trip to Alaska and was very glad that I got it!

BTW: I will also use a UV filter for better lens protection when shooting in adverse conditions. And, of course, I always use a lens hood with any lens that I am using.
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Bandon Beach has some great sea stacks, but it's a popular location.

One place that's a little bit off the beaten path is Sweet Creek
    near Mapleton.

I have no idea what it's like in the middle of January though, might want
    to take some precautions.

The trail passes along some lovely cascades.

Some photos I took a few years ago.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2010
    weather protection
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    I always carry an OPTECH Rainsleeve for each camera in the back pocket of my shooting vest. The Rainsleeve is very inexpensive and so light in weight that I don't know it is there...

In addition to rain or snow, it is handy to have that protection available in blowing dust and salt spray.

When I am going out into areas where I know it will rain or where there is a high probability of precipitation; I use my Kata Cover. I have a lot of confidence in the Kata since I shot for ten days in the rain on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula. I got the Kata on sale at Calumet camera a few days before my trip to Alaska and was very glad that I got it!

BTW: I will also use a UV filter for better lens protection when shooting in adverse conditions. And, of course, I always use a lens hood with any lens that I am using.

Great advice - Thanks for sharing this important info. Looking foward to the trip and maybe some drier days among the mist, fog, clouds, and rain (all of which should make for some interesting shots).
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2010
    Sweet Creek
    a110p0 wrote: »
    Bandon Beach has some great sea stacks, but it's a popular location.

One place that's a little bit off the beaten path is Sweet Creek
    near Mapleton.

I have no idea what it's like in the middle of January though, might want
    to take some precautions.

The trail passes along some lovely cascades.

Some photos I took a few years ago.

Alvin

Alvin...

Thanks for these ideas/locations. I'll add them to our list!

I appreciate your reply.