My first Canon Experience

helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited December 20, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
One of my classes this year for grade ten is Communications Technology, which is video, photoshop, flash animation, and, the best part, photography. The one task of our photography unit was an alphabet photography. We had to take pictures of something that started with the letter we drew from a hat. I got the letter H. My teacher knew that I was really into photography, so she gave me the honours of using the Canon EOS 450D. It was the camera the school bought last year, and it was my first experience using a Canon.

These were two of my favourite pictures I took with it. My teacher seemed to really like them, but I found that her definition of a great photo is way different that many of the definitions online and on here. So I figured I would see what you guys thought:

5274184029_a064e8aa79_b.jpg

5274793240_bd995ecc43_b.jpg

Thanks for viewing. C&C welcome.
-Brandon

Flickr
My Gear

Comments

• run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    I think they're nice. You found some very interesting textures.

What would you say your teacher's definition of a great photo is?
  • helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    It's actually kind of hard to explain. We'll take noise, for example. On here, it's one of the first things pointed out if you have a noisy photo. But she seems to not even pay attention to the noise at all. Even when I point it out, she kind of shrugs it off. It's interesting to have two very different opinions on your photo, but like I said, there seems to be a very big difference in the definition of good photos.
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 20, 2010
    Nice abstracts. Great exposures, and good use of DOF to emphasize details. It sounds like your instructor is placing a much higher priority on composition and maybe lighting than on technical nits like noise. That is probably as it should be. Noise doesn't bother a lot of folks, in fact some digital photographers frequently add more grain to give a film look. Personally, I work hard at reducing noise. So to each their own I guess. Let your eye be your guide.
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    Great set of pics I dont think the noise in the photos take away from what you were trying to do.
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    Nice shots, Brandon...

Judging from your Flickr posts (and another post I read recently about lens choices and Christmas camera wishes) you've got the bug. As a career educator, I'm pleased to see this kind of course on the books for kids your age.

As far as the definition of good photography, there's a fine balance of subjective judgement, technical knowledge and accepted standards. The order in which these are learned and applied may not be as important as the fact that you attempt to get well-rounded exposure (pun intended) to every aspect of what makes photos (all art really) excellent.

It might be interesting to find a subject of interest and take several version of it with different ISOs and/or post-processing techniques to create a study in what effect different levels of noise have on the viewer's (teacher's?) reaction.

Keep up the good work... and the good questions!
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug