Is it just me?

2»

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Wachel wrote: »
    Those are the bluest eyes I have ever seen! Crazy.
    15524779-Ti.gifeek7.gif
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Okay...so most people agree that going to the absurd is not necessary. So...for that subtle sharpening and brightening what process do you guys use?

I use Aperture 3 for 99% of my editing and I sometimes use Photoshop CS (yes, it's that old!). In Aperture I simply use the dodge brush on the iris and the sharpen brush on the entire eye. I then use the sliders to adjust each to taste...my wife peeks over my shoulder to make sure I stay in reality! :)

Also to make the eyes pop I use the Aperture healing tool with an opacity of about 25% and run that over the dark areas under the eyes. It is rare to have people with no darkness under the eyes so I don't like to totally get rid of them....just lessen them a bit so they don't stand out. Again...staying in reality.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    My favorite is High Pass Filter in Photoshop.
    • I duplicate bkgd layer, go to filter>other>high-pass, move the slider until outlines of the image show up (depends on pixel dimensions of the image) usually btwn 1.5 & 2.5 for print/lower for web.
    • Then I change the blending mode of the dup layer to Soft Light (mild sharpening) Overlay (more) Hard Light (even more) or Vivid Light (emergency only!).
    • Now I dial back the opacity of the layer if needed.
    • Lastly, I create a Layer Mask and mask out the areas where I don't need the sharpening. Works great and offers tons of flexiblity.
    I'm also a fan of Smart Sharpen in Basic mode if I'm in a hurry. Works especially well with web images for me. Again I always duplicate the layer in case I change my mind (which I usually do). eek7.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
    edited December 23, 2010
    Oops! For brightening... I make an adjustment layer (doesn't matter- Levels, Brightness/Contrast, Curves) and change blending mode to "screen." Make no adjustments. Now fill the layer mask with black (black conceals, white reveals). Make white the foreground color on the color picker and paint areas you want brightened. Lower the opacity slider on the layer, usually waaay down until the desired brightness is acheived. If you want to eliminate some brightness, make black the foreground color and paint it out. Layer mask is the ultimate reversible eraser!

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    Oops! For brightening... I make an adjustment layer (doesn't matter- Levels, Brightness/Contrast, Curves) and change blending mode to "screen." Make no adjustments. Now fill the layer mask with black (black conceals, white reveals). Make white the foreground color on the color picker and paint areas you want brightened. Lower the opacity slider on the layer, usually waaay down until the desired brightness is acheived. If you want to eliminate some brightness, make black the foreground color and paint it out. Layer mask is the ultimate reversible eraser!

Is there a functional difference between using an overlay layer filled with grey and then lightening areas, and using a screen and masking areas?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • &lt;ed&gt;&lt;ed&gt; Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Is there a functional difference between using an overlay layer filled with grey and then lightening areas, and using a screen and masking areas?

I don't know about screen and mask but good question.... I use the a new layer set to soft light then use what ever color fits the application if needed at all but it can help when you lose the eyes in some photos..
    edited December 23, 2010
    I find Screen blending mode works best for me to lighten dark areas just like Multiply is best for darkening washed out areas. What I like is that you usually don't have issues with interacting color shifts. I haven't tried the Overlay blending mode for lightening. I've used that before for hand coloring effects along with Color blending mode. I'll have to try that.