Canon Angle Finder C

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited February 17, 2008 in Accessories
Anybody can provide a feedback on this device? Sid, I remember you mentioned you had one.. Is it used all the time, most of the time, or does it spend most of the time in the bag, or even on the shelf back home?

TIA
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Anybody can provide a feedback on this device? Sid, I remember you mentioned you had one.. Is it used all the time, most of the time, or does it spend most of the time in the bag, or even on the shelf back home?

TIA

i use it when i'm tripodding
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    I own one and rarely use it I am afraid to say. I bought it to use in Antelope Canyon, but it was as crowded as a subway station in there, and there was just no way, and I could obtain focus lock with my 10D so....

Since then, it just rides around in my bag weighing me down.:uhoh I think it would be useful for studio shots or macro shots of stationary targets, but I rarely shoot that kind of stuff. ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    Nik
    I have one and love it
    I use it when shooting flowers,bugs
    On the tripod shooting nightshots and anything down low
    I like the 2.5X magnification
    I don't like that I have to adjust the eyepiece for my eye sight each time I go from 1.25X to 2.5X and back.
    Do I use it all the time ...no...but it does keeps me from kneeling on the ground

I was kinda hoping you would buy this and give us a full report :D

Fred
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    ZigView
    USAIR wrote:
    Nik
    I have one and love it
    I use it when shooting flowers,bugs
    On the tripod shooting nightshots and anything down low
    I like the 2.5X magnification
    I don't like that I have to adjust the eyepiece for my eye sight each time I go from 1.25X to 2.5X and back.
    Do I use it all the time ...no...but it does keeps me from kneeling on the ground

I was kinda hoping you would buy this and give us a full report :D

Fred
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I remember posting about zigview when it first came out.
    Didn't have dslr at the time.
    The only problem now - it seems hard to find it online in US, all the retailers are in UK, so shipping would be expensive..
    I'll keep thinking of it though!

Cheers!
    Andy, PF
    Thank you very much for the feedback!iloveyou.gif
  • PhotofotoPhotofoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 28, 2006
    Zigview ... Zigview ... What about the resolution
    Hello all,

sorry for my bad english.

Can someone tell more about the resolution of the Zigview?

I expect having the focussing more easy by seeing on a wider screen rather the viewfinder of the camera. Am I right?

Thanks for replying.

Réjean

Nikolai wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback!
    I remember posting about zigview when it first came out.
    Didn't have dslr at the time.
    The only problem now - it seems hard to find it online in US, all the retailers are in UK, so shipping would be expensive..
    I'll keep thinking of it though!

Cheers!
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Rejean, welcome to dgrin! Glad to have you posting. I think you ask a very good question. The answer appears to be, no. The resolution is too poor to help with accurate focusing.

Here's a decent review. Note that as of June 2005 it was only for sale in England.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 28, 2006
    ZigView sounds like one of those products that, if they survive, to Version 2 or Version 3, might really be worthwhile. Who hasn't wanted an SLR with a moveable LCD display like many P&S cameras have.

Or maybe Canon, or Nikon, or SONY, might their hand at a simlar product.:):

• PhotofotoPhotofoto Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 15, 2008
    ZigView
    Thank you for replying. I donT think it is a good idea to buy it for now.

The goal of my search was in searching a way to help for doing the focus in the little hole of the camera (sorry for my bad english).

I finally found something more "exciting". For my Canon 5D I found a Nikon Eye piece magnifier DG-2 with the DK-22 Eyepiece adaptor. It fit perfectly on Canon.

You can see at: http://shashinki.com/shop/nikon-eyepiece-magnifier-dk22-eyepiece-adaptor-p-56.html

It is bad that Canon do not produce that kind of equipement for his cameras. It is bad too that Canon do not make similar door in the back of the cameras like they did for Canon Powershot G-serie.

Everything is fine now ...

Réjean

wxwax wrote:
    Rejean, welcome to dgrin! Glad to have you posting. I think you ask a very good question. The answer appears to be, no. The resolution is too poor to help with accurate focusing.

Here's a decent review. Note that as of June 2005 it was only for sale in England.
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    Wow, 2 years between posts :oogle

You been hibernating? mwink.gif
    edited February 16, 2008
    Interesting discussion that may be completely unneeded now that Nikon and Canon are introducing Live View - allowing visualization with the cameras LCD back like with a P&S.

Houboucha makes great use of the Live View mode on his D300 with an extreme wide angle lens - allows very creative angles that would be almost impossible to view through the viewfinder. Watching its use, was enough to send me to the manual for the 40D on the Canon side to learn more about Live View. I want to explore this technique in more detail in the nest few weeks.

I think Live View will replace the right angle viewer's need, and with the 10X magnification possible make the right angle viewer unnecessary for tripod based shooting.

edited February 16, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Interesting discussion that may be completely unneeded now that Nikon and Canon are introducing Live View - allowing visualization with the cameras LCD back like with a P&S.

Houboucha makes great use of the Live View mode on his D300 with an extreme wide angle lens - allows very creative angles that would be almost impossible to view through the viewfinder. Watching its use, was enough to send me to the manual for the 40D on the Canon side to learn more about Live View. I want to explore this technique in more detail in the nest few weeks.

I think Live View will replace the right angle viewer's need, and with the 10X magnification possible make the right angle viewer unnecessary for tripod based shooting.
    +1 on LiveView, Jim!
    Now if only the remote viewers/controllers (be it Z-view or manufacturer's addons) were a little bit cheaper...mwink.gif
    edited February 16, 2008
    I hate to say it but my initial impression is that Live View may be better done on the D300 than the 40D, since AF is one by default in the D300.

You can turn AF on in the 40D, but it is clunkier to use - it takes one button push to activate Live View, another to AF and then a third to press the shutter. On the D300 it was half shutter press to activate and focus, full press to shoot.

I wonder if it is any different with the 1DMKlll.

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited February 17, 2008
    live view is nice but two things. One, if you're doing a night exposure, you
    wouldn't want to use it. And when the camera is on the ground, it's still easier
    to look through the angle finder thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?