Options

Crazy 8 (A racy pool scene)

triangulartriangular Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited December 21, 2010 in Street and Documentary
A sticky for this board included dimly lit bars as valid urban scenes, so here it is:

5277439915_8ede6e3286.jpg
Crazy 8 by triangular, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    Love it!
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    great shot
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2010
    That made me chuckle....
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    That had to be a wild and crazy (8) place! You captured it well.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    rainbow wrote: »
    That had to be a wild and crazy (8) place! You captured it well.

It's always wild with this crowd. All I really have to do is follow them around, hehe. Thanks for the comments. To me its a really fun pick, glad other people like it.
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,929 moderator
    edited December 21, 2010
    Hi there and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif. Fun shot indeed. Well done thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Hi there and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif. Fun shot indeed. Well done thumb.gif

Thanks Richard, appreciate that. Since this forum is a little flexible in the definition of "street", I look forward to contributing as well as receiving a lot more C&C here. I've read Dgrin from time to time but now its good to be a member.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    It seems that lately here on street/pj there has been an influx of some "enviornmental portraits" I guess you'd call them.
    It wasn't until too long ago that I could not image a shot like this in this forum because I had learned to take the definition of street too literally, but the more I see shots like this the more I like them and the more I want to try my hand at this.

This shot is a prime example of that, I also enjoyed Swords and Scales portrait, Jiro's "Pride and Joy" and of course Michswiss portraits and B.D.'s summer work project. I know shots like this would not fly in "people" so I'm glad they found a home here.

This shot screams fun, rough and tumble, and is somewhat documentary no?

Looking very forward to more contributions from you and I am anxious to try it out myself.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    Lizzard_nyc:
    Well, Im new here so I wouldn't know what to expect. Normally I would not post this shot in a "street photography" forum, but I read the Welcome Sticky and it mentioned examples in part "depicting urban environments" and went on to include "Street scenes and candids, back alleys, graffiti, dimly lit bars, etc", so I figured right on, ok I found my niche! While this does include a broader type of photography normally considered or found in "street photography" forums, I do agree that its the very essence of the street. Basically in my view that is wherever strangers gather in public spaces to have natural and impromptu interactions. I like how you actually put it when you called it "environmental portraits". That is the essence of the open, public street scene isn't it? I think it's great, because I wouldn't know where else to put something like the shot I posted above, and neither would it likely be appreciated any more than by fellow street photographers. To answer your question I suppose it is somewhat documentary, if more should follow in a series or as a theme. Of course its hard to stay on par with your best work sometimes, or to make the time to follow up on things that tend to work well.

I really appreciate all the positive feedback from everyone. This is kind of a wild photo and I really didn't know how it would fly anywhere. But now I know that I'm onto something and encourages me to be more proud of it. I look forward to seeing more traditional street as well as more urban environment portraits from everyone. Thanks again for the positive feedback.