Options

Mind Your Own Business (but belongs here...

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited January 11, 2011 in The Big Picture
I think?)

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/371931/smartphone_apps_betraying_us_report_says/?fp=4&fpid=762455&eid=150

Neil (yes, that's my name, no secret, guys, you can have it gratis and with knobs on, and now for a limited time only, with Chrissy decorations as well! Deck the halls with pilfered info tralalalala-lalala-la!) :D
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 21, 2010
    Personally, I'm hoping the day will come when the software gets smart enough to figure out that I never buy anything from companies that interrupt what I am doing with ads. So to maximize the chance that I will buy their product, they shouldn't show me any ads. Yeah, right. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    Personally, I'm hoping the day will come when the software gets smart enough to figure out that I never buy anything from companies that interrupt what I am doing with ads. So to maximize the chance that I will buy their product, they shouldn't show me any ads. Yeah, right. rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gif

yeah! it's a bit like the arms race!

Neil

• Options
    MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    I read an interview recently with the creators of the popular game Angry Birds, which is free (with ads of course) on the Android platform. The company stated that they project that by the end of this year (now) they would be at a run rate of $1 million dollars per month, all from ads displayed while the user is playing the game.

This stuff is big business.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Well, see, if y'all were Luddites like me and just used your phone to make phone calls, you wouldn't have to worry about this crap. I think. Maybe. I dunno. Damn, now you've given me sumpin else to fret aboot.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    Well, see, if y'all were Luddites like me and just used your phone to make phone calls, you wouldn't have to worry about this crap.

I agree...I do not even accept text messages and it is so old a phone that it won't take or show images either and I am perfectly happy with it that.....,my home phone never allowed me to text, email or take and send images....why does my cell need too......????? It is strictly a phone.

that keeps all these other probs down to Naught.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited December 22, 2010
    I read an interview recently with the creators of the popular game Angry Birds, which is free (with ads of course) on the Android platform. The company stated that they project that by the end of this year (now) they would be at a run rate of $1 million dollars per month, all from ads displayed while the user is playing the game.

This stuff is big business.

It's amazing to see the figures involved.

It's really like kidnapping, we really are being held to ransom. To be free of it you have to pay, like I pay for my Yahoo email account to be free of advertising (Yahoo Mail Plus). One way or another someone is milking you quite gratuitously, like a leech. I have to remind myself though that just like war has given us a lot of positive things, on the science and tech side of things at least, this kind of abuse and nuisance might teach us something beneficial. Though I'm sure there are better ways to progress!mwink.gif

Neil

• Options
    edited December 22, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    just as how macs are so useless nobody writes viruses for them ;)

As useless as high heels, and for certain kinds of minds, as seductive!rolleyes1.gifDrolleyes1.gif

Neil

• Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    If a government said " We want to track your movements and be able to give you a unique ID that we can match to your personal info" People would be up in arms yet they trip over themselves to get these crapps that do exactly that!

I was looking for a new phone before christmas and a sales girl pulled this thing off the shelf and was parroting on about all the things it did/ could do for not less than a full 5 min almost without coming up for breath.

At the end of her techno features barrage, I looked at her with my most deadpan face possible and said, that's great, but what I'm after is one that makes phone calls. She didn't know how to take that and finally said they all make phone calls!
    I said Oh, I didn't hear you mention that!

Stupid thing had so many buttons and they were all so small I couldn't press just one at a time, I got one of about 3.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Got this on Twitter this morning...
    Apple Sued Over Apps Privacy Issues; Google May Be Next http://cnbc.com/id/40830464
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2010
    Yep they are too clever for their own good, and mine.

I live in Australia, and now when I do a Yahoo or Google search, even though I have "Web" selected rather than "Australia" most of the early pages are .au. Now one of the reasons I do a search is often that I am looking for info which is not on my doorstep, so to speak. If I want good advice about looking after geraniums and want to buy a plant I want a .au site, so search results which focus on Australian sites are appropriate. But mostly I am looking for information which is not generated in Australia, and that's an awful lot. So it is way off the track and a waste of time on all fronts to heap me with .au sites which are only sideways related to my search terms. Yet, Yahoo, Google etc now have this restrictiveness and poverty built into them because what they are mainly oriented to is serving local sales. And the most relevant and saleable info about me they have access to is my IP address.

Neil

• Options
    edited December 31, 2010
    richy wrote: »
    Do you get the same on the .com site ? I used to have the same issue with google.co.uk but I switched to using the .com and that solved many of them. Using a proxy helped even more lol but thats excessive. Theres little more annoying then trying to order something for family abroad and the site 'helpfully' directing you to their local site rather than the foreign one. Vistaprint seem to go to insane lengths to achieve this defeating even using a proxy.

I agree entirely re people clamouring over themselves for these apps and platforms at the same time as the ceo of one of them companies is telling everyone they know where you live? Google are creepy (I admit streetview is useful for finding shops etc), apple is like a paranoid dictator, facebook just doesn't give a flying hook about privacy, strange that MS is one of the better ones mostly because they are too useless to be effective at being evil.

I've had similar discussions with sales reps, mostly I want a phone for email / web / calendar etc but I love poking them with sticks, try asking them if any of the mp3 polyphonic whatever tones just goes ring. I had to go download one, but I can say for sure I know when my phone goes off because I'm the only one who has one that just goes wrong instead of playing that damn frog tone or the latest just in a beaver song.

My sentiments entirely, comrade!

They're wise to .com

Neil

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    I am constantly amazed (did BradfordBenn trademark that?rolleyes1.gif) at how many people don't see the use of today's "cell phones." It's really not a good name for them; I like "mobile device" a lot better. Actual phone is almost useless now... yes, you do sometimes like to talk to people, and for those times, there's this minor feature on your mobile device called "phone." It's hardly what your device is about. Practical use is what today's mobile devices are about.

Honestly, I see use in text messaging. I'm not trying to side with teenagers, I think the way they use it (talking to friends constantly) is a waste, of time and money. No, I think it can be used very practically. It's much easier to communicate than phone; just open the app and start typing. With phone, you have to dial the number (actually, not any more, just type in the first few letters of the person's name and press enter). True, if you want to carry on a long and detailed converstaion it's probably better to just call them. But if you want to let someone know of something (i.e. "we won woo-hoo!" or "don't forget the potato chips") then text messaging makes it a lot easier. Plus if you're like at a meeting or something where you have to be quiet it's better to text.

Another practical use of today's mobile devices is, well, practical use. Let's see... stopwatch, mirror, notepad, memo, tasks (really helps me with keeping track of photo processing) calendar, maps (I don't need to carry paper maps with me everywhere), dictionary/thesaurus, periodic table of the elements:D, and a host of other things that I can't think of right now.... You know, those things really are useful... well, ok, I don't use that periodic table that much...:D And arrrrg, that reminds me, I'd have GPS if my bluetooth weren't broken... grr...

Internet is another practical advantage... I can check if there's a thunderstorm coming, if I have any subscribed threads here, if the Patriots won last night, if Canon finally released that 1Ds Mark IV:D... you know, and I can do that stuff anywhere (except if I'm in some mountain range shooting exotic wildlife where they don't have a cell tower, which usually means no civilization). It's really useful. You'll see if you try itdeal.gif

And of course, entertainment. Pics and movies that I have on my 8GB SD card... plus all the games in the world practically. Seriously, I'm never bored waiting anymore. I haven't had to wait at the airport recently, but hey, that doesn't sound too bad... not with the most addictive games right here in my pocket. Let's see, I have tetris, FREE; Senet (an addictive ancient Egyptian game), FREE, monopoly, sorry, I had to buy it for 10 bucks... it's so fun, you can play 3 other computer players in monopoly. And a FREE brickbreaker game. And dozens of other games that aren't as addictive but will keep you entertained. Including but not limited to math games.

All of this... but you have to make sure it's available. It depends on the OS... that's why I soooo dislike LG, they make these tiny (TOO tiny) "stylish" phones and market them as "great free sleek texting phones." Guess what, what OS do they have? Some nothing that might have a few apps on their website. The apps I mentioned above are all for Palm OS... It's been around forever, so there are so many apps for it. iPhone is pretty good at this, and Android to a lesser extent (I think). I think Palm WebOS supports regular old Palm OS programs, that's good because Palm is switching to WebOS devices like the Pre and Pixi. I only recommend Palm and iPhone and personally that's all I'll use. I'm not sure about Android so I can't rule tham out yet.

So, I have a Palm Treo, original Palm OS. Qwerty keyboard is great for entering data. And I have a Palm T|X PDA that has Palm OS, a bigger screen and no keyboard. So... do I use "cell phone" service? No! Not me. I don't need it. All I want is internet. It's all I have use for, right now. I never need to call anybody. I never need to text anybody. I could get text service for it but that'd cost 15 bucks a month.... I don't have internet either, I just get to a Wifi spot and use that. Saves me 30 bucks a month, between that and texting that's $540 a year toward another L:D. So I'm exempted from all this location monitoring and stuff, while still enjoying the benefits of Palm OS. And my PDA's bluetooth works, so I get GPS on that:D I use wifi on my Treo. My PDA's wifi is broken of course:D I'd like to fix my treo's bluetooth so I can have wifi AND bluetooth... then with the bluetooth I can play multiplayer monopoly with other devices:D....

Edit: And I'm sure most are different than me, you do need to text and/or talk. So, get a plan. Sure, the companies charge you outrageous rates, but hey what can you do. Go into a store and haggle? Doesn't usually work. Most need communication stuff, I'm probably gonna have to get it one day, and guess what this is the best way. Better than having an old black-and-white phone with no keyboardrolleyes1.gif. Way better.

Anyway, another advantage of my treo is that it's big.... It feels comfortable in my hand (like a 1D not a Rebel) plus it doesn't look like a tiny "teenager texting phone."

Anyway, is this my longest post ever?:D

It's funny this reminds me of an article I read recently... the biggest moneymaker in the itunes store is free... and it doesn't get its money from ads. It's called "The Smurfs' Village," and you can buy buckets of Smurfberries to feed your Smurfs... you can even buy a wheelbarrow of them for $59.99. It's actually charged to your credit card! This 4-year-old kid unknowingly bought $60+ of Smurf stuff on his mom's ipad. Experts think most of the revenue is from addicted grownups... hey, zombie farms aren't free! Now isn't that hilarious!?!
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2011
    I am constantly amazed (did BradfordBenn trademark that?rolleyes1.gif) at how many people don't see the use of today's "cell phones." It's really not a good name for them; I like "mobile device" a lot better. Actual phone is almost useless now... yes, you do sometimes like to talk to people, and for those times, there's this minor feature on your mobile device called "phone." It's hardly what your device is about. Practical use is what today's mobile devices are about.

Honestly, I see use in text messaging. I'm not trying to side with teenagers, I think the way they use it (talking to friends constantly) is a waste, of time and money. No, I think it can be used very practically. It's much easier to communicate than phone; just open the app and start typing. With phone, you have to dial the number (actually, not any more, just type in the first few letters of the person's name and press enter). True, if you want to carry on a long and detailed converstaion it's probably better to just call them. But if you want to let someone know of something (i.e. "we won woo-hoo!" or "don't forget the potato chips") then text messaging makes it a lot easier. Plus if you're like at a meeting or something where you have to be quiet it's better to text.

Another practical use of today's mobile devices is, well, practical use. Let's see... stopwatch, mirror, notepad, memo, tasks (really helps me with keeping track of photo processing) calendar, maps (I don't need to carry paper maps with me everywhere), dictionary/thesaurus, periodic table of the elements:D, and a host of other things that I can't think of right now.... You know, those things really are useful... well, ok, I don't use that periodic table that much...:D And arrrrg, that reminds me, I'd have GPS if my bluetooth weren't broken... grr...

Internet is another practical advantage... I can check if there's a thunderstorm coming, if I have any subscribed threads here, if the Patriots won last night, if Canon finally released that 1Ds Mark IV:D... you know, and I can do that stuff anywhere (except if I'm in some mountain range shooting exotic wildlife where they don't have a cell tower, which usually means no civilization). It's really useful. You'll see if you try itdeal.gif

And of course, entertainment. Pics and movies that I have on my 8GB SD card... plus all the games in the world practically. Seriously, I'm never bored waiting anymore. I haven't had to wait at the airport recently, but hey, that doesn't sound too bad... not with the most addictive games right here in my pocket. Let's see, I have tetris, FREE; Senet (an addictive ancient Egyptian game), FREE, monopoly, sorry, I had to buy it for 10 bucks... it's so fun, you can play 3 other computer players in monopoly. And a FREE brickbreaker game. And dozens of other games that aren't as addictive but will keep you entertained. Including but not limited to math games.

All of this... but you have to make sure it's available. It depends on the OS... that's why I soooo dislike LG, they make these tiny (TOO tiny) "stylish" phones and market them as "great free sleek texting phones." Guess what, what OS do they have? Some nothing that might have a few apps on their website. The apps I mentioned above are all for Palm OS... It's been around forever, so there are so many apps for it. iPhone is pretty good at this, and Android to a lesser extent (I think). I think Palm WebOS supports regular old Palm OS programs, that's good because Palm is switching to WebOS devices like the Pre and Pixi. I only recommend Palm and iPhone and personally that's all I'll use. I'm not sure about Android so I can't rule tham out yet.

So, I have a Palm Treo, original Palm OS. Qwerty keyboard is great for entering data. And I have a Palm T|X PDA that has Palm OS, a bigger screen and no keyboard. So... do I use "cell phone" service? No! Not me. I don't need it. All I want is internet. It's all I have use for, right now. I never need to call anybody. I never need to text anybody. I could get text service for it but that'd cost 15 bucks a month.... I don't have internet either, I just get to a Wifi spot and use that. Saves me 30 bucks a month, between that and texting that's $540 a year toward another L:D. So I'm exempted from all this location monitoring and stuff, while still enjoying the benefits of Palm OS. And my PDA's bluetooth works, so I get GPS on that:D I use wifi on my Treo. My PDA's wifi is broken of course:D I'd like to fix my treo's bluetooth so I can have wifi AND bluetooth... then with the bluetooth I can play multiplayer monopoly with other devices:D....
    Anyway, another advantage of my treo is that it's big.... It feels comfortable in my hand (like a 1D not a Rebel) plus it doesn't look like a tiny "teenager texting phone."

Anyway, is this my longest post ever?:D

It's funny this reminds me of an article I read recently... the biggest moneymaker in the itunes store is free... and it doesn't get its money from ads. It's called "The Smurfs' Village," and you can buy buckets of Smurfberries to feed your Smurfs... you can even buy a wheelbarrow of them for $59.99. It's actually charged to your credit card! This 4-year-old kid unknowingly bought $60+ of Smurf stuff on his mom's ipad. Experts think most of the revenue is from addicted grownups... hey, zombie farms aren't free! Now isn't that hilarious!?!

Hey TCG don't have a palm so this will have to do!mwink.gif Fun 5min read! Especially since Dgrin is flat right now. What you say is of course indisputable.

But you know, guys like you are the darlings of BigBrother, you go to your doom smiling and quoting how lucky you are and this is the best of worlds. Never forget that BB is just that, because it sees you and more than you, as you blithely go meanwhile unaware you are in the dark!rolleyes1.gifD

Neil

• Options
    ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    I'm mostly trying to convince DGrinners to get a Palm or iPhonemwink.gif Not really trying to brag, but I do love my palms (as I'm sure you can tellrolleyes1.gif)