WTB: Canon beginner lens

twintiger74twintiger74 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited December 25, 2010 in House of Canon
A friend gave me his old Rebel XT and my husband wants to buy a lens for me for Xmas. I'm looking for any of the following: Canon 18-55mm, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 100mm f/2. I'm trying to save some money by buying used. If you have any of these or others with similar functionality, pm me with details and price. Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Comments

• Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    I used to have the 50mm 1.8. I actually just sold it last night. It's a great lens and was very sharp. It goes for about $100 new and is a great beginner lens...I'd say one of the best, especially if you want to learn more about depth of field. I had the 18-55 and personally hated it. I would never buy another kit lens like that. The 100mm f/2 I've never used but I hear is a great lens. I have the 100mm 2.8 macro and it's one of my favorite lenses. It may be a bit long for walk around photography, but you can definitely get creative with it.
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • relsah85relsah85 Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    i have a mint Canon 55-250mm IS. I will let it go for $180 shipped and paypaled.

my fb page
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    starting with the 50 1.8 is ALWAYS a great place to go. plus, cost so little you can save up more $$ for the next lens :D
    //Leah
  • DeadlockDeadlock Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    I don't have anything to sell you, but before you buy anything it may be best to have an idea of what you want to shoot.
    If you like birds and wildlife then a 50mm prime will be very restrictive and you'll be best off with a zoom with a top end around the 200mm mark.
    Florida has a lot of good light so you don't really need a lens with a wide aperture.
    A zoom around an 18-200mm has the benefit of allowing you to capture almost anything at all until you learn what range you like to work with best.
    On the other hand, if you intend to do a lot of indoors shots of children running around then a smaller focal length and wider aperture like the 50mm f1.8 will allow you to capture them.
  • Executive Images PhotoExecutive Images Photo Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    I have a 28-135. Its a great "walk around lens" PM me if you are interested.
    Matthew Baratucci
    Owner/Photographer
    Executive Images Photography

www.executiveimagesphotography.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Rockledge, FL on the Space CoastPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    I'm not sure what you want to photograph but would guess some of it might be indoors. If so you would find a zoom that starts in the "wide angle" area useful. For the XT or other crop cameras (Rebels, 40D, 50D, 60D) this would be 18mm or so (18-55mm IS). Something like the 28-135 works as a "Normal" to "telephoto" lens on the XT, no wide angle view.

If you get an 18-55 zoom, a good starting point, get the newest of the three versions the IS. It has Image Stability and cuts down on camera shake. And has the best optics of the three versions.
  • greatbuffalogreatbuffalo Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    All very good advice from folks who know.