New shots posted. Opinions?

DaveriDaveri Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited December 30, 2010 in Holy Macro
I just posted a bunch of macro shots from the past couple of years. I'd love to get some feedback/opinions on them. Anyone have any favorites?

http://photos.riedl.ca/Nature/Macro1/15028013_Fy84g#1122484195_YpZhk

Comments

• JamesMitchellJamesMitchell Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    i love the lighting of the moth on the leaf, initially the color draws me in, then i see the moth. My only suggestion, and you are a much better shot that I, is that the eyes be more in focus because the antennae, legs, and leading edge of the wings keep bringing my eyes back there. perhaps that is just what the insect looks like, but it appears slightly softer than the rest of the insect. Also photo 51 and 1 are a couple of my favorites. thumb.gif
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited December 24, 2010
    welcome to the forum, great series of shots

would be better to post direct into the thread so everyone can view larger size more easily

philspacer.gif

spacer.gif
  • DaveriDaveri Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 30, 2010
    more info about the shots you mentioned...
    i love the lighting of the moth on the leaf, initially the color draws me in, then i see the moth. My only suggestion, and you are a much better shot that I, is that the eyes be more in focus because the antennae, legs, and leading edge of the wings keep bringing my eyes back there. perhaps that is just what the insect looks like, but it appears slightly softer than the rest of the insect. Also photo 51 and 1 are a couple of my favorites. thumb.gif

I think you are correct, the focal plane looks to be slightly in front of the butterfly's eye. I had some trouble getting the flash to shine through the leaf and also illuminate the butterfly. I was using a soft-box just slightly bigger than the leaf that appears to be glowing. This was the best exposure among about a dozen. I'm glad you liked it.

#1 Its also one of my favorites, but it probably does not fit into the macro category. It was shot with canon's 100-400 @400mm with a slight crop to tighten things up and remove some extraneous/distracting "floaties" in the water.

I think what stands out the most about #51 is the cool bug itself. I love how much it looks like a leaf. It was pretty timid. It quickly flew away as I tried to get closer to it.

Thanks for you feedback.
  • DaveriDaveri Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 30, 2010
    Thanks Phil, will do next time. You have some amazing pictures yourself. You are very talented.
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    welcome to the forum, great series of shots

would be better to post direct into the thread so everyone can view larger size more easily
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    LOvely series you have- great light and colour !
    Brian v.