Alabama Hills, CA

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited December 23, 2010 in Landscapes
The Alabama Hills are in California, in the Sierra Nevada foothills, and near the town of Lone Pine. They used to film western movies there because it's such a cool looking place. I went there mainly to see the Mobius Arch and was amazed how large and interesting the area was.

1 Hills at sunset
1133843548_WjMUc-XL.jpg

1133843569_BbJ2u-XL.jpg

3 Mobius Arch (next morning)
1133315596_ezPd4-XL.jpg

4 Closer shot through the arch, looking towards Mount Whitney. Guess which peak is Mount Whitney?
1133315687_weGZV-XL.jpg

5 This one.
1133841877_ZyaGa-XL.jpg

6 Back side of arch looking out towards the rest of the hills
1133842152_qht8z-XL.jpg

7 Heart Arch
1133315285_xfQTN-XL.jpg

8 Panamint Valley at dawn, on the way to Hills from Death Valley. That's the road through the park you take to get there.
1133891988_oRu3r-XL.jpg

C&C's welcome, and thanks for looking.

-joel

Comments

• Sexy6ChickSexy6Chick Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Joel this is a fantastic set, I can't even pick a favorite! That place looks amazing.
    ~*Natalie*~

A lover of all things photography.

Olympus E-500

My Smugmug Gallery
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    All great shots! Best, Pam
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Great stuff Joel! bowdown.gif

#3 and #4 are standouts! thumb.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,240 moderator
    edited December 21, 2010
    You found the arch (and view) Marc's father was talking about in Outdoor Photographer a year ago! thumb.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Jason HermannJason Hermann Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Killer series! Great comps and all the rest ;)

Best,
    Jay
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Niiiiiiice! I really like 1 and 3.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Really nice set of images. I love #4 the closer look, It allow us to see the A. hills better. I also wonder about perspective how large is this Mobius Arch? I would bring up the yellow/orange hue in this rock as it seems to be desaturated compared to the other shots. Also I love #5 the close up of the beautiful peaks, this immediately reminds me of Torres Del Paine in Chile
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 21, 2010
    Sexy6Chick wrote: »
    Joel this is a fantastic set, I can't even pick a favorite! That place looks amazing.
    Thanks, Natalie. This place IS amazing. I didn't allow myself nearly enough time to do it justice. I will be back. deal.gif
    PGM wrote: »
    All great shots! Best, Pam
    Thanks, Pam!
    anwmn1 wrote: »

Thank, Aaron. The arch is pretty neat, and I'm happy with the way they came out considering it was late morning.
    David_S85 wrote: »
    You found the arch (and view) Marc's father was talking about in Outdoor Photographer a year ago! thumb.gif
    Hey David, I think that shot is fairly iconic now. The ranger even described the shot to me when I asked for directions there. Perhaps David Meunch's article was the catalyst behind that. I didn't see the article, but now I'm really curious. nod.gif
    Killer series! Great comps and all the rest ;)

Best,
    Jay
    Thanks, Jay!
    bryanj87 wrote: »
    Niiiiiiice! I really like 1 and 3.

Thanks, Bryan! Those are my favorites as well.
    edited December 21, 2010
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Really nice set of images. I love #4 the closer look, It allow us to see the A. hills better. I also wonder about perspective how large is this Mobius Arch? I would bring up the yellow/orange hue in this rock as it seems to be desaturated compared to the other shots. Also I love #5 the close up of the beautiful peaks, this immediately reminds me of Torres Del Paine in Chile
    Hey Doug, thanks. The aperture (technical term) of Mobius is probably just over 5' tall. I couldn't stand up fully inside of it. I think you're right that #4 could use a bit more saturation. My workflow could have been more consistent there. This is the first time I've taken such a close look at Whitney, and it's pretty impressive. I've never been to Chile, but the pictures I've seen look incredible and I can see the resemblance now that you mention it.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2010
    Nice work, Joel! I've been to that side of the Sierras a couple of times but strangely, never been to the Alabama Hills. I had no idea the Mobius arch was that small, as I just assumed they were as huge as the ones in Moab. But very cool to know... and I'm surprised that there isn't more snow on those mountains!
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Nice ... seems well worth the drive. I have to make a note under "Places I Gotta Shoot".

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    anwmn1 wrote: »

15524779-Ti.gif. clap.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Nice work Joel. I ran through there around Thanksgiving and snapped a few shots. The time before that when I had more time to spend there they were shooting a movie and had the road shut down.
    Taking my trailer and going to camp out there. It is a very interesting area.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Stunning work! loved them all.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    #5 shows just how large Mt Whitney is (and the Sierras are) when you can count the large trees on its slope. I like #6 alot
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Great shots!!!

-
    Anybody can do it.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Nice set of images. I will put Alabama Hills on my list of places to visit.

Sam
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 22, 2010
    Joel - great series. Prompted me to a virtual tour on Google Earth. Such natural beauty so close by. Now on my list of things to do very soon
    edited December 22, 2010
    schmoo wrote: »
    Nice work, Joel! I've been to that side of the Sierras a couple of times but strangely, never been to the Alabama Hills. I had no idea the Mobius arch was that small, as I just assumed they were as huge as the ones in Moab. But very cool to know... and I'm surprised that there isn't more snow on those mountains!
    Thanks, Schmoo! Yeah, I'd come within a mile or two of that area myself in the past and never knew it was there. I too was a bit surprised that the arch was so small, almost disappointing in a way that's not totally unlike discovering that Sylvester Stallone is only 5'7". :giggle
    Seefutlung wrote: »
    Nice ... seems well worth the drive. I have to make a note under "Places I Gotta Shoot".

Gary
    Thanks, Gary. I don't think you would be disappointed.
    dlplumer wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif. clap.gif
    Thanks, Dan! See you soon. mwink.gif
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Nice work Joel. I ran through there around Thanksgiving and snapped a few shots. The time before that when I had more time to spend there they were shooting a movie and had the road shut down.
    Taking my trailer and going to camp out there. It is a very interesting area.
    Thanks, Chris. I didn't know they were still making movies there. I wonder if they allow spectators to watch at all. That would be fun to watch!
    Stunning work! loved them all.
    Thanks, Awais!
    jdryan3 wrote: »
    #5 shows just how large Mt Whitney is (and the Sierras are) when you can count the large trees on its slope. I like #6 alot
    Thanks, David! Yeah, finally how Whitney looks so small until you realize it's set much further back than the other mountains that appear along the same ridge. It's pretty huge. Looking forward to seeing your shot from the trip as well. thumb.gif
    wfeller wrote: »
    Great shots!!!

-
    Thank you, Walter. thumb.gif
    Sam wrote: »
    Nice set of images. I will put Alabama Hills on my list of places to visit.

Sam
    Thanks, Sam. Definitely, and so close to Death Valley.
    edited December 22, 2010
    Angelo wrote: »
    Joel - great series. Prompted me to a virtual tour on Google Earth. Such natural beauty so close by. Now on my list of things to do very soon

Thanks, Angelo! Maybe we should do a Dgrin shootout there some time. mwink.gif
  • TreyHoffTreyHoff Registered Users Posts: 388 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Hey, Great shots! 3,4 & 5 are my favs with such good clarity.
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Absolutely gorgeous shots of one of my favorite areas!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    I agree .. they are all fantastic thumb.gif

Really enjoyed the series of photos. Looks like you had a wonderful area to photograph.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 22, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    Thanks, Angelo! Maybe we should do a Dgrin shootout there some time. mwink.gif

thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gif

edited December 23, 2010
    TreyHoff wrote: »
    Hey, Great shots! 3,4 & 5 are my favs with such good clarity.
    Thanks, Trey!
    OffTopic wrote: »
    Absolutely gorgeous shots of one of my favorite areas!
    Thanks, Lori. Haven't seen you around in a while. I checked out your gallery -- you've been busy! thumb.gif
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I agree .. they are all fantastic thumb.gif

Really enjoyed the series of photos. Looks like you had a wonderful area to photograph.
    Thanks, Mary. Glad you liked the shots. The area turned out to be quite a surprise. I definitely need to get back there when I have more time to do it justice.
    Angelo wrote: »
    thumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
    Cool! Now we just need to pick a date. Maybe in the spring. Maybe we should throw in Bodie at the same time. mwink.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    wow - they really almost pop out of the screen - beautiful colours and sharpness! thumb.gif