On the way from x-c'ing today

LadukebobLadukebob Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
edited December 24, 2010 in Landscapes
I stopped and took a few shots of this big open area. And with the gray skies and lack of color I converted them to b&w. Traveling light all I had was my 35mm so these got cropped about 30% to get rid of too much snow in the fore ground. I'm really new to b&w's so let me know what you think.

p246526493-4.jpg

p168747021-4.jpg

p218215724-4.jpg

Thanks
Dan
Nikon D90
18-105 mm
85 mm 1.8
10-20 mm
35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com

Comments

• LadukebobLadukebob Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    No comments, or critiques. Are these shots that bad? headscratch.gifrofl

Probably a little boring maybe.
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    I really like your second shot. Love the contrast and how the background trees just seem to fade into the sky. The other two seem too gray to me, need more of a white and black point set to bring up the contrast ( actually all three would benefit). Now these are film? which I know nothing about so please take what I just said with a grain of salt as I'm looking at them as digital and trying to make suggestions. I also like your idea to convert to B/W, good choice.
  • nazquelnazquel Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    hi there,

i find them a bit dark and lacking contrast.

i like the subject in the foreground of trees in the 2nd shot, but wonder if you could isolate them more from the darker background. perhaps a tighter crop.

just my thoughts...
    Navin Sarma

Washington, D.C., based landscape and fine art photographer

http://navinsarmaphotography.com/
    edited December 22, 2010
    Thanks everyone, really helps to get some feedback. I'm new to black and white and I'm learning.

Also, what I meant was that these were shot using my 35mm f/1.8. Sorry for any confusion.
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
    edited December 23, 2010
    nazquel wrote: »
    hi there,

i find them a bit dark and lacking contrast.

i like the subject in the foreground of trees in the 2nd shot, but wonder if you could isolate them more from the darker background. perhaps a tighter crop.

just my thoughts...

I tweaked the contrast of the three trees a little and I really like it. Thanks for the suggestion.

p534913739-5.jpg
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    Over all just to grey and blah for me........how did you arrive at these?? by just cliking on greyscale in photoshop or did you run thru the lab settings or did you use other software.

on a scene like this I would have bracketed the hell out of it and possibily ran thru an HDR software.....to me the whites are not truly white...dingy greay and that takes away from the beauty the pix possesses ..... JMHO.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 23, 2010
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Over all just to grey and blah for me........how did you arrive at these?? by just cliking on greyscale in photoshop or did you run thru the lab settings or did you use other software.

on a scene like this I would have bracketed the hell out of it and possibily ran thru an HDR software.....to me the whites are not truly white...dingy greay and that takes away from the beauty the pix possesses ..... JMHO.....

Thanks for commenting Art.
    I arrived at what you see after looking at the photo in NX2, which is the software I use. I know nothing about Photoshop. The colors just weren't there so I converted to b&w and adjusted contrast levels. I also adjusted different areas of the photo to try to get some depth. You mentioned HDR. I use the Photomatix software and I have some experience with colors but it never occurred to me to try it with b&w. You'll got me excited about trying HDR and I might go back to this location and see what can be done.

I understand that this scene isn't all that interesting but it seemed like a good photo to work on and learn.

Thanks
    Dan
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    looks like you had a grad ND filter on, which probably wasn't needed for these shots... seems like the tops of the trees and the sky are unnaturally dark and gray, which kinda takes away from the effect of the B&W conversion.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 23, 2010
    I think setting a proper white point would help these.
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    Hi,

When taking photos with lots of snow you need to increase the EC on your camera to +1 or +1.5 or even +2 on a very bright day.

Otherwise the camera's meter is fooled and you end up with dark gray snow.

I took your first photo and brought it into Photoshop. Nothing fancy here - the same histogram is on the back of your camera.

Here's the histogram from the first image:

histo_1.jpg

As a quick lesson the left side of this graph (or histogram) has a value of 0 and represents black. The far right will have a value of 255 and represents white.

There are 3 channels for Red, Green and Blue, but put that aside for the moment.

Notice on the graph that your highest values are only about 2/3 of the way across. In fact the highest value was 169. 169 will look gray.

So these are just underexposed images.

Next time dial in some +EC until the histogram just gets up to the right (but doesn't go past it) and you'll have some pure white snow. I suspect this will really help.

best,
    edited December 24, 2010
    Thanks for the comments and helpful tips. I played with the white set point and it really helped. And the histogram looks better. What do you think?

The sky looks like it does because of the really low cloud cover that comes all the way down to the tops of the trees.

p29208347-4.jpg
    Nikon D90
    18-105 mm
    85 mm 1.8
    10-20 mm
    35 mm 1.8

kleinsmith.zenfolio.com
  • NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    Hi Ladukebob,

That last redo is really good, IMO. Being from WI myself, these shots remind me of...the building I work in...wait a second... ;-) In all seriousness, I do like the overall series.

As for the conversion, you may want to take a look in the Street & PJ forum. A lot of the folks there are in love with B&W. I've learned a lot about doing a cleaner conversion just from looking at the shots posted in there.

SteveF, thank you for the Histogram lesson! I'm going to be utilizing that for my 'winter wonderland' shots. :-)