Sigma 24-70 for nikon d 7000

baygrafixxbaygrafixx Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited December 22, 2010 in Cameras
Hi All,
Don't post much, but am a" frequent lurker" and would appreciate your input if you will.
I just bought a Nikon d7000(have a 5000 now). I,m looking at the Sigma 24-70 for my first lens. I photograph cars,some small products and guns for some of my websites. As my skills are not yet what I would like them to be I would prefer to at least start with good equipment.
Anyone have experience with this lense, or any other recommendations near that price range?
Thanks Ron

Comments

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Sigma makes good products. I have several Sigma lenses just not this one.
    You might want to consider the HSM model so you can use it on both the 5000 and 7000. Though the non HSM is less expensive it wont AF on the 5000.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    When I bought my D90 (first DSLR), I purchased a Sigma 24-70 as well. I used it for about 4-5 days and then returned it. I found the focal length range was a bit awkward for the DX sensor. I now have a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 and am MUCH happier. The 24 end on DX just isn't very wide. If you have a camera store nearby where you could go try out the lens before making your decision, I'd recommend that. For some people, 24-70 on DX might be fine, but I just found it to not be a good range. YMMV.

The lens quality was just fine, and the photos I took with it were good, so I'm not at all suggesting not to go with Sigma. It's just a focal length issue, IMO.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    What lens are you using now? Obviously you don't just have a D5000 body:D. A lens I find quite useful for indoor use is the Nikkor 16-35 f4. It works very nicely on ff and crop bodies. I love my Nikkor 24-70 f2.8, but agree it's not as useful indoors on the crop body. On your D7000, with its amazing low light capabilities, I think you would be happy with an f4 lens.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    i had all my stuff stolen so had to replace it and just ended up with the following kit - it might help you decide too

D7000
    Tamron 17-50 f2.8 (Not the "VR" version - this one has better IQ)
    Nikkor 70-300 f4.5-5.6 VR
    SB-900

I highly recommend the little Tamron - bang for buck it's just amazing!

and not having a wide angle would kill me - especially shooting cars when I can't always guarantee people will get out of the way.

edit: and the 70-300 is like 105-450mm as it's an FX lens - so you have wide for cars up close and looong zoom for cars on the track - nice :)
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Can't speak to the Nikon version, but my Canon Tamron 17-50 mkI is terrific - highly recommended for the price!
  • cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    jasonstone wrote: »
    the 70-300 is like 105-450mm as it's an FX lens

Just a clarification... being an FX lens makes no difference. "Equivalent" focal lengths of ALL lenses, not just those that produce FX image circles, are multiplied by the crop factor. Your 17-50 "behaves like" a 24-75, even though it's a DX lens.

Being an FX lens just means that the image circle covers an FX sensor, which means more glass, weight, physical size, and money.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • baygrafixxbaygrafixx Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 22, 2010
    Thanks for the replies.....I had questions about the 24mm end myself.
    My d5000 came with the kit 18-55 and 55-200 lenses. Actually, they are probably as good as lenses as I am as a photog....lol. I would however like to upgrade to better glass. Also, I am needing to spend a little income before the end of the year and feel the lenses would be the best return for my money.
    I like the Tamron idea....going out today to my cameras shop and try on some lenses. thats definately one I will try.
    Thanks again, and I'll post what I end up with.
    Ron
  • baygrafixxbaygrafixx Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited December 22, 2010
    Quick update ....
    Ended up buying the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 Macro . It has HSM and Optical Stabilizer.
    I'll probably get out to try it tomorrow.
    Thanks for the help...Ron
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    baygrafixx wrote: »
    Quick update ....
    Ended up buying the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 Macro . It has HSM and Optical Stabilizer.
    I'll probably get out to try it tomorrow.
    Thanks for the help...Ron
    I have that lens in the non HSM OS version. It is a good lens. You will notice the difference from the kits lens. Like other had mentioned and I forgot that range will give you the equivalent range (actually more) of the 24-70. If you really need to spend some money get a Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 DX it is one sweet lens.
    Happy Shooting
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/