Poipu sunrise:
1048048727_saqAT-L-3.jpg

Hanalei bay storm clouds:
1117158829_FuxNF-L-1.jpg

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Great stuff Chris
    Especially Bird Eye 1, Sunrise and the pano storm clouds.
    Some really nice light and great compositions!
    E
  • chickendropchickendrop Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Thanks!
    eoren1 wrote: »
    Great stuff Chris
    Especially Bird Eye 1, Sunrise and the pano storm clouds.
    Some really nice light and great compositions!
    E
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Oh so green and lush .. nice to see :D
    edited December 22, 2010
    Super lush. I want to go back!
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Oh so green and lush .. nice to see :D
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    Beautiful shots. Love the birdseye and the sunrise shot both are stunning.
    edited December 22, 2010
    Thanks Doug!
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Beautiful shots. Love the birdseye and the sunrise shot both are stunning.
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2010
    I like especially 2, 4, and 5, Chris, but all are just beautiful. Best, Pam
    edited December 23, 2010
    Thanks Pam :)
    PGM wrote: »
    I like especially 2, 4, and 5, Chris, but all are just beautiful. Best, Pam
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    Your photos remind me of how beautiful an island Kauai is. And you do it justice! Every shot is well done and representative of one of my favorite places.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    Lovely series. I like Birdseye 1 and the Canyon, but all of them have very nice lighting.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    Wow, that 2nd shot is superb!
  • ir robbieir robbie Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    Beautiful cloudscapes,very nice series.
    Ir fanatic
    edited January 3, 2011
    Thanks everyone!
  • freewheelfreewheel Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    Hi Chris, great shots! I'm heading to Oahu at the end of the month(-30c this morning, can't wait).
    I currently have a canon 50d with the 18-200mm kit lens. I'm thinking about buying a wide angle for sunset/landscape shots, do you think its worth it?
    also what do you recommend for a polarizer?

Thanks
    edited January 13, 2011
    freewheel wrote: »
    Hi Chris, great shots! I'm heading to Oahu at the end of the month(-30c this morning, can't wait).
    I currently have a canon 50d with the 18-200mm kit lens. I'm thinking about buying a wide angle for sunset/landscape shots, do you think its worth it?
    also what do you recommend for a polarizer?

Thanks

Thanks! Jealous! Oahu is awesome! A wide angle lens would be great for a variety of shots in Hawaii, but a 18-200mm is really all you need. All of my pics were shot with the 18-55mm kit lens. There are some spectacular tide pools on the north shore that you have to check out. I woke up at 5am two days in a row to see the sunrise over them. Hoya makes some really good quality circular polarizers. Have a great trip!
  • freewheelfreewheel Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Thanks Chris, I'll check out some of the polarizers.
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Wow! Amazing shots! I was scrolling through thinking on each one that it was my favorite, then I would get to the next one and change my mind!
    edited January 14, 2011
    Rhuarc wrote: »
    Wow! Amazing shots! I was scrolling through thinking on each one that it was my favorite, then I would get to the next one and change my mind!

Thanks! I thought the same when I was there. I'd get to one beach and say "This is my favorite spot on the island", then when I got to another location with a beautiful vista I found myself repeating the same thing :)
  • HamsterHueyHamsterHuey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Chris,

Absolutely stunning shots!! I especially love 2,3,4 and 5. Could you post some details on where all these were taken and how you got there? :). I just got back from Hawaii and my wife and I were very sad that we couldn't fit a trip to Kauai into our vacation plans (we visited Oahu, Maui and Big Island). We are planning to go back to Hawaii to spend a few days hiking around Kauai the next time we take a vacation and I really really want to go to these places in your photographs!

Also, feel free to check out some of my shots that I just posted from my Hawaii trip here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1537275#post1537275

Cheers
    Unhappy SmugMug beta tester - http://smandal.smugmug.com
    edited January 15, 2011
    Chris,

Absolutely stunning shots!! I especially love 2,3,4 and 5. Could you post some details on where all these were taken and how you got there? :). I just got back from Hawaii and my wife and I were very sad that we couldn't fit a trip to Kauai into our vacation plans (we visited Oahu, Maui and Big Island). We are planning to go back to Hawaii to spend a few days hiking around Kauai the next time we take a vacation and I really really want to go to these places in your photographs!

Also, feel free to check out some of my shots that I just posted from my Hawaii trip here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1537275#post1537275

Cheers

Thanks! It doesn't sound like you had such a bad trip :) I've been to Kauai a few times, and Oahu once. I've been fortunate to cover quite a bit of the globe and Kauai is easily my favorite place in the world. I feel like I'm home when I'm there. My wife and I hiked the Kalalau trail in October and it was incredible. It's pretty exhausting but the experience is worth it, not to mention the gorgeous sites and delicious fresh guava along the trail. You have some really beautiful landscape shots from the other islands. I feel like I need to go and check them out now!

Here's a little description of each of my shots:

1. These are the taro fields near the Princeville resort. It's one of the more popular scenic overlooks. The view changes dramatically throughout the day depending on the weather. It's pretty breathtaking overall.

2 & 3. These were taken during a helicopter tour (highly recommended!) with Safari tours. Awesome and unique views that you won't get while hiking, biking, or on ATV.

4. Waimea canyon. As impressive as the Grand Canyon in my opinion. This picture doesn't capture the awesomeness. You just have to see it in person.

5. I don't even remember exactly where this was shot. My wife read up on good places to watch the sunrise in Poipu and found this location. All I remember is that we drove down a sandy overgrown road with "no trespassing" signs to get here. Once we reached the end there were pick up trucks with surfers sleeping in the back. Apparently it's a good drop in spot. We then hiked up quite a steep sandy hillside. We reached the top to find an absolutely killer view. Cliffs, clouds, golden reflections off the rocks, pretty fantastic.

6. This is probably my favorite place on the entire island. These are the mountains around Hanalei bay. I shot this with my feet hanging off the end of the pier.
  • HamsterHueyHamsterHuey Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Thanks for the details Chris! I'm going to bookmark this info for when we get a chance to visit. My wife was actually born in Hawaii and she has quite a bit of family there but Kauai is the only island she's never managed to visit. I would definitely recommend Maui. Haleakala is awesome and you can do a 2 night, 3 day trek if you like (My wife's parents did that. We didn't have time as we were island hopping so instead we did a grueling 6 hour hike from the summit down to the valley and back up. Make sure you dress in lots of layers!). Hana is also quite amazing with all the lush, tropical vegetation. This was one trip where I really couldn't pick a favorite place or island. Haleakala was one of the standout picks for me though since the landscape is just so amazing and different from what you will typically find in most places.

After reading your post, I'm glad we decided to put off Kauai till next time since we would only have had time to take a cruise for a day or so. I really want to hike around the island, and from your post, it seems that that is the thing to do. Will definitely do the helicopter tour as well.

Cheers,
    Sudeep
    Unhappy SmugMug beta tester - http://smandal.smugmug.com
  • ProfessionalProfessional Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    Beautiful Phan-taz-tik shots!
    edited January 16, 2011
    Thanks!