Options

How do you process your JPGs?

ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
edited April 9, 2011 in Finishing School
OK, stupid question, right? Well, I'm used to using ACR, using it with RAWs. But I have some JPGs that I need to process... I don't like opening every single one in PS... and I don't have LR. I'm not a big fan of DPP, although that could be an option. So my question is: is there some way easier than opening every single file in PS? I had like 40 files open in PS on my laptop, and it wouldn't let me use sharpen tool or burn/dodge or anything like that because my scratch disks were full... ok, I understand, I don't have much free space on the laptop hard drive. So, it chews up a LOT of memory...

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    Use ACR! No reason you can’t reprocess them there. LR would make the job even easier.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    How do you use ACR to edit jpgs? ACR opens when you open a raw in PS. I don't know how to open it manually and I don't know how to get JPGs into it...
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited December 23, 2010
    Select the whole set in Bridge first, then click Open in Camera Raw. Then select the entire set in ACR and check the Synchronize box.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2010
    How do you use ACR to edit jpgs? ACR opens when you open a raw in PS. I don't know how to open it manually and I don't know how to get JPGs into it...

Go into the ACR preferences, set the JPEG and TIFF handling at the bottom of the dialog.

Note that edits applied in ACR are metadata edits and until you ask it to “Open” the JPEG (which can be saved as a JPEG or something else like a TIFF), you will now see those edits. But if you apply a Metadata edit and don’t click Open (click done), those edits are saved within the JPEG but ARE NOT VISIBLE if you open that JPEG in Photoshop! You have to have ACR apply the edits to the original JPEG or TIFF data, open it (Open button) and SAVE it. You can save over the original or save off an iteration (safer).
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2011
    Okay, back to this thread. I need to process some JPEGs, and Photoshop is too slow. I want quick, like ACR. So I need to use ACR. I went into the ACR preferences and don't see anything about JPEGs...

As a side note, when I go to Bridge the "Open with Camera Raw" option is grayed out.

I'm using CS2, ACR version 3.7. Is this version just too old?

1244830284_7Kpvk-M.png
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited April 9, 2011
    I'm using CS2, ACR version 3.7. Is this version just too old?
    I can't recall whether 3.7 can open JPGs or not, TBH, but someone here will probably know for sure. Let me suggest that if the answer is no, you could take this as a great opportunity to upgrade mwink.gif. Seriously--3.7 was really primitive compared to the current 6.3 version. If your computer is up for it, the latest version of Photoshop/Bridge/ACR or Lightroom will be a vast improvement. If you simply can't afford it or you only need to do very simple adjustments, you might consider looking into Picasa, GIMP or one of the other free editors available.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2011
    Well, it does what I need it to do, but I believe you the new one is a great deal better I'm sure. I use ACR because of the speed, it's faster than PS, DPP, etc. I'll take a look at the new version.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 9, 2011
    For global editing, ACR is no better or faster than Lightroom3.

I no longer use ACR unless I am planning on multiple Smart Objects from one RAW file. For simple global RAW edits, Lightroom3 is very fast and easy to use. I do use CS4 and CS5 for selective editing and PS plug ins.

I do not remember if ACR 3.7 could edit jpgs or not, but the current version ACR 6.3 certainly can and I use it for this from time to time if I am away from my desktop and LR3.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2011
    I'm sure LR is better, but using ACR saves me $200 for now :)

But I'm pretty sure I'll one day move to LR.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    For global editing, ACR is no better or faster than Lightroom3.

Probably the opposite.

Its no better in terms of what you can do with the various sliders and such, they share the same engine. LR is most likely a lot faster when you start working with multiple images (after all, ACR is a Photoshop plug-in). There are significant advantages LR has over ACR in terms of functionality like virtual copies, before and after viewing, unlimited history etc.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 9, 2011
    I think we are in agreement, Rodney.

I favor Lightroom3, over ACR, for Raw conversion and global editing,as I mentioned earlier. I was just not trying to overstate the advantage of LR3 over ACR. I really only use ACR when I want to create multiple Smart Objects, which is infrequently.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin