raw images on CD are transferring as read only...help!

MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
edited December 25, 2010 in Digital Darkroom
Ok..wow its been so long since ive posted here :) Im glad to be back.. I need some help. I have a client who Is also a photographer.. I have a PC..and she has a Mac.. we both have PSE. I tried to burn my raw files onto a disc..flash drive...(a trillion other methods).. and they are coming up as read only on her end. She cannot open them...and can only view a thumbnail version. I am trying to avoid processing these files into JPEGS as she wants to do the processing herself. HELP!! suggestions?

ps. I know when i burn the images here.. open the files...right click...properties.. I can see that read only is checked. How do I make sure that when im burning them for her it is NOT read only.

thanks!
missb
Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
:ivar

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2010
    Please Lay out your exact workflow including burning software so we know what is happening...if you can include a few screenshots of the burning workflow that might help also.
    I have never had this happen......for many many years I have been using Roxio Creator Classic for burning anything to disk (except music).............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    I don't think "read-only" is the right way to frame the issue here. The issue is the full original raw files can't be opened. Read-only status does not prevent opening and editing, it only prevents saving your edits. Remember:
    • CDs and DVDs are always read-only unless you specifically wrote to a "rewritable" disc.
    • Raw files are (almost) always read-only. That is why all our edits always get saved in sidecar files or databases, because they can't go back in the read-only raw. There are a few rare apps that do save edits into original raws, which some consider a potentially dangerous practice.
    Those are the normal conditions under which we open raw files on read-only CDs all the time. Because as the name implies, read-only does allow reading! :D

I don't know exactly what the real problem is though. Macs can usually read files on PC CDs, it's only the Windows apps that don't run. Art is right: Lay out the steps of how the disc is burned, what format is chosen, etc. and state what your OS is.

Also, can you open the full raw files if you have the burned disc in your PC? If you can do this and she can't with the same disc, it could point to needing an adjustment to the burning settings.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited December 24, 2010
    Are you both using the same version of PSE? Maybe her version is old enough that it cannot read the raw files from your camera. You could test this easily by attaching a card reader to her computer and trying to open a raw file from your camera. If that's the case, then either she needs to update PSE or you could convert your raw files to DNG before burning them.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    Also on the Windows and Mac section, can you list the operating systems? I do this all the time at work using PS CS3 without an issue at all.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 24, 2010
    Any RAW file on a CD or DVD is read only by definition, since CDs, and DVDs, are both read only mediums once they are burned. There is no way for PS to write back to the original CD or DVD. Copy the files to a hard drive and then things should work out fine.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited December 25, 2010
    What happens when she tries to copy them to a folder on the mac? Do that and then try converting them to JPEG's.

If this doesn't work, please reply with the exact message your friend is seeing on her mac.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?