Options

Export originals to Smugmug from Lightroom

kbevphotokbevphoto Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited December 27, 2010 in Finishing School
Anyone know how to export original files to SmugMug from Lightroom? I have edited DNG files from a portrait session. However, I like to show clients the original photos too.

I see the "originals" option in Export, but that gives me an error because Smug wont take DNGs. I just want to export plain DNG-->JPG files without my edits.

Any ideas on how I can do this short of reimporting them into a new folder and exporting those?

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited December 24, 2010
    Go into the Develop module, highlight the original Import step in the left hand palette, and right click the image to export a jpg from that imported file. You will not have any effect on your editing steps, until they are selected by clicking on them.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2010
    Or if you wish you can Control+' to create a new vertual image of the original imported file before editing it. Every step in your editing is merely a list of a command. You can click on any step and edit a file from there, or create another virtual duplicate of it.

Merry Christmas.

• Options
    edited December 25, 2010
    Thanks. But it is about 50 photos, so doing each one manually isn't the move I was hoping for. Other ideas?
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2010
    Select all 50 images, with the Develop setting at the import stage, into a collection, and then export the collection, perhaps?

• Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    It's easier than you're making it, if you look at the big picture. They know you'll be exporting to the Web all the time (JPEG is required by all sites, not just Smugmug), so Lightroom is set up to make this efficient.

First, there are multiple ways to set up a JPEG export. Right-click is one way, but you also have the Export command on the File menu, its keyboard shortcut, and the Export button at bottom left. They all lead to the Export dialog.

Second, while it's easy enough to set the export dialog to JPEG, you can save all the settings as a preset. Set up Export the way you want all your Smugmug exports to be, then save it as an Export preset. Once that's done you can use the dedicated File menu command (Export with Preset...) for direct access to a perfect export. Just select all 50 photos and go.

Third, there is a shortcut on the File menu for exporting the same settings again (Export with Previous). So if you just exported 372 photos to JPEG and you have 3473 more to export with the same settings you used last time, you simply select your 3473 photos, hit that shortcut, and go out to see a movie while it cranks.

Once you have all this set up, exports to Smugmug or any site should be essentially instant and easy to repeat with perfect specs every time.

And for extra credit you can use the Publish Services to create a live link between a Lightroom collection of DNGs and a Smugmug gallery of JPEGs to keep them in sync without having to manually regenerate the JPEGs, but that's a little advanced...I don't really use it yet myself...
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    Get Jeffrey Friedl's LR smugmug uploader plugin:
    http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/smugmug

Call up the original image, or whichever edit you want, and export it directly with the plugin. (The plugin will come up as an option when you click on export.) Set it so that it does not store the jpeg on your hard drive. I have done this often, and it works fine. I think for additional ones you can just select 'export with previous'.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2010
    Still missing me...
    I use the plugin (and have been for years). I also have synched galleries and send processed images all the time.

My issue is that I processed a gallery BEFORE I uploaded the originals, and now I'm trying to export the original RAWs pre-processing. Lightroom will convert them to RAW and it's applying my processing steps to them in that that process.

I'm not sure I understand the preset approach, so maybe I'm just having a "slow moment".

headscratch.gif
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Oh, I see...

In that case you could try:
    1. Select all images
    2. Make new collection, call it No Edits, be sure to select Include Selected Images and Make New Virtual Copies
    3. Go to Develop module, turn on Auto Sync (flip switch on the Sync button at bottom of right panel)
    4. Make sure all virtual copies are selected in the new collection. You do not want to select any original images, only virtual copies in this disposable collection.
    5. Choose the Settings/Reset All Settings command. This should remove all your edits and reset to whatever your Lightroom default image settings are. Because Auto Sync is on this should reset all selected items (virtual copies).
    6. Export to JPEG

When you're done, if you don't need the virtual copies you can filter on them and then blow them away. The point of making virtual copies is to not disturb the originals with the edits you spent so much time on.