Secure Digital Card?

TrailaceTrailace Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited July 9, 2004 in Accessories
Hello all first post and it's a question. I'm no camera guy so thanks for any input.
Would it be better to get one 512 card or two 256 cards? Would you go with Viking or Panasonic?

Comments

• GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    Trailace wrote:
    Hello all first post and it's a question. I'm no camera guy so thanks for any input.
    Would it be better to get one 512 card or two 256 cards? Would you go with Viking or Panasonic?
    I cant speak for the brand, and it might help to know how many MP yer camera is, but I would say the 512, the less you swap cards the less wear and tear and risk of damage.

The 512 can be very handy too as you empty the card, it will all fit nicely on a burned CD without a lot of waste.
  • TrailaceTrailace Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I cant speak for the brand, and it might help to know how many MP yer camera is, but I would say the 512, the less you swap cards the less wear and tear and risk of damage.

The 512 can be very handy too as you empty the card, it will all fit nicely on a burned CD without a lot of waste.
    Still working on the camera looks like I'll go with the Konica Minolta - Dimage Z2 Digital Camera 4 MP.
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    Trailace wrote:
    Still working on the camera looks like I'll go with the Konica Minolta - Dimage Z2 Digital Camera 4 MP.

If your looking for a big zoom camera, I'd suggest the Panasonic FZ10. I has 12x optical zoom f/2.8 throughout the range with IS. This will help you get sharp pictures handheld at full zoom. With the Z2, you will probably need a tripod to get sharp pics at full zoom.

Dave
    edited July 1, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    If your looking for a big zoom camera, I'd suggest the Panasonic FZ10. I has 12x optical zoom f/2.8 throughout the range with IS. This will help you get sharp pictures handheld at full zoom. With the Z2, you will probably need a tripod to get sharp pics at full zoom.

Dave
    Thanks Dave

Now why did you do that to me I was set on the Z2 or the PowerShot S1. The Z2 is on sale for $400 and the S1 is $499 The FZ10 is $600.

I wanted a camera that runs on AA batteries not near power to recharge the others I camp alot. The reason I picked the Z2 is it’s faster than the S1. (Turning on and off) and lighter. But man I don’t know jack about this stuff. The Z2 fits my hand real well but if the Z2 is not a good camera it would not take much for me to change my decision.
    Rick
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    Hiya Trailace! wave.gif Great to have you drop by!

If anyone's using the white background, like me, Trailace's last post was in white fonts.

Ace, the Dimage sounds like a very good camera. stevesdigicams calls it a winner. dkapp's right about image stabilization, tho. If you're gonna use the 10x zoom, it will need to be on a tripod or monopod.

Image Stabilzation is the good thing about Canon S1 and the Panasonic. The Panasonic sounds great with the fast lens and the IS, but it has a proprietary battery, so you'll want to buy a backup batt, and it takes 5 seconds to turn on.

The Canon gives up some zoom length and a megapixel to the Panasonic. Unless you make larger prints, the pixel loss shouldn't affect you. On the plus side, it uses the AA batts you want for camping. Turn on time is also just shy of 5 seconds. The flip-out screen is great - makes it really easy to get shots at unconventional angles. Patch29 has one, if you want to ask him any questions.

Rick, if you think you're going to be using that big zoom, then you'll want some sticks or something on which to rest the camera. If you don't want to tote a tripod around, and you think you'll use the big zoom (I know I would if I had it) then you might want to think about a camera with Image Stabilization - it will save an awful lot of shots for you.

Oh, and at 4 megapixels, I'd get the 512 card... and then a second one. It's easy to fill 'em up fast!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited July 1, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Hiya Trailace! wave.gif Great to have you drop by!

If anyone's using the white background, like me, Trailace's last post was in white fonts.

Ace, the Dimage sounds like a very good camera. stevesdigicams calls it a winner. dkapp's right about image stabilization, tho. If you're gonna use the 10x zoom, it will need to be on a tripod or monopod.

Image Stabilzation is the good thing about Canon S1 and the Panasonic. The Panasonic sounds great with the fast lens and the IS, but it has a proprietary battery, so you'll want to buy a backup batt, and it takes 5 seconds to turn on.

The Canon gives up some zoom length and a megapixel to the Panasonic. Unless you make larger prints, the pixel loss shouldn't affect you. On the plus side, it uses the AA batts you want for camping. Turn on time is also just shy of 5 seconds. The flip-out screen is great - makes it really easy to get shots at unconventional angles. Patch29 has one, if you want to ask him any questions.

Rick, if you think you're going to be using that big zoom, then you'll want some sticks or something on which to rest the camera. If you don't want to tote a tripod around, and you think you'll use the big zoom (I know I would if I had it) then you might want to think about a camera with Image Stabilization - it will save an awful lot of shots for you.

Oh, and at 4 megapixels, I'd get the 512 card... and then a second one. It's easy to fill 'em up fast!
    Wxwax wave.gif

I was planning on using a tripod for the big zoom shots because it does not have the image stabilization. The thing I like best is it only takes 1.8 seconds to turn on. I miss a lot of shots waiting for the one I have now to turn on. (6 seconds) If you leave the camera on waiting for a shot the batteries go dead quick.

A guy at the camera shop told me the lens on the Z2 was better than the S1 what is your opinion on this?

Rick
    edited July 2, 2004
    Well, if you're taking a tripod (great idea, BTW, they make a huge difference) then you've picked the right camera. I don't know enough to say which lens is better. But at 12x and 4mp versus 10x and 3mp, I'd say the Dimage has the edge. I haven't read of any complaints about the image quality. And that bit about faster turn-on makes a lot of sense - it's frustrating as all get out, waiting for the camera to fire up.

Here's a review of the Minolta's image quality. Here's the entire review.

They seem to like it too. Sounds like a good camera, to me.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited July 2, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Well, if you're taking a tripod (great idea, BTW, they make a huge difference) then you've picked the right camera. I don't know enough to say which lens is better. But at 12x and 4mp versus 10x and 3mp, I'd say the Dimage has the edge. I haven't read of any complaints about the image quality. And that bit about faster turn-on makes a lot of sense - it's frustrating as all get out, waiting for the camera to fire up.

Here's a review of the Minolta's image quality. Here's the entire review.

They seem to like it too. Sounds like a good camera, to me.
    Sid

It's in the mail mwink.gif

Rick
    edited July 2, 2004
    Trailace wrote:
    Sid

It's in the mail mwink.gif

Rick
    thumb.gif Way to go, Rick! I'm keen to see your first shots with it.
    Sid.
    edited July 8, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    thumb.gif Way to go, Rick! I'm keen to see your first shots with it.
    Sid The UPS guy dropped off the Z2 late yesterday read some of the instruction and took my first pic this morning.
    5914845-M.jpg
    edited July 9, 2004
    Trailace wrote:
    Sid The UPS guy dropped off the Z2 late yesterday read some of the instruction and took my first pic this morning.
    5914845-S.jpg

clap.gif Great! Nice shot. The first of many, right? ear.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    edited July 9, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    clap.gif Great! Nice shot. The first of many, right? ear.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I don't know about that I just don't have the eye for it. I look at all the great pictures posted and can't tell if its good or not. However I do like the subject matter of most.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 9, 2004
    Trailace wrote:
    5914845-S.jpg
    Very nice soft warm late afternoon light. Lovely image.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin