Girl With Pearl Earring

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited December 30, 2010 in People
OK, I'm not Vermeer, and this isn't a girl, and there's no pearl earring, but when I first saw the image, that's what I thought of. This is my six-year-old gransdon :lust who was kind enough to model for me while I fiddled around with a two light portrait setup. Other than some PS work to get rid of a big ol' grapejuice moustache (I left the chapped lips) it hasn't had any massaging. Is it too dark, or does it work like this? Thanks for your time.

1136532352_uvasE-XL.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    It resembles Vermeer's work all right. :D If you had taken the time to work around her hair a little bit that would make the image almost like the girl with the pearl earring! thumb.gif I know it's really hard to nail it right when it comes to lighting setup so I have to commend you for trying it out. For me, you did a good job on this one, Icebear. clap.gifclapclap.gif

I had to edit my post. My bad Icebear, I did not read your post that well that I really mistaken him as a "her". Kindly accept my apologies.
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    OK, I'm not Vermeer, and this isn't a girl, and there's no pearl earring, but when I first saw the image, that's what I thought of. This is my six-year-old gransdon iloveyou.gif who was kind enough to model for me while I fiddled around with a two light portrait setup. Other than some PS work to get rid of a big ol' grapejuice moustache (I left the chapped lips) it hasn't had any massaging. Is it too dark, or does it work like this? Thanks for your time.

no it is not too dark, it does work for me.........but a 3rd light for the bg would be nice to produce some separation or taking the 2nd light to behind the grandsons head and shooting into the head to place a halo around him.......just ideas for separation from bg.......

My models (my Kids) all learned to be invisible when I dragged out the lights and camera (talking 30+ yrs ago when I was teaching myself to shoot)....so I found a wig head at a Goodwill store...it had a hole in the bottom of the neck...that is where I shove a light stand...no more complaining models (kids) when I want to try something new or just play around....it is bright white tho and that does play havoc sometimes.......has detoured a few vehicle break ins also when it sits in car on a really short bg light stand......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    I like it the way it is. Pretty image, though ... you had my heart jump a bit higher when I saw the title ... one of my favorite paintings ...
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    What a resemblance. The lighting fits perfectly. Even without your title, I would have thought of the painting.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    Thanks, everybody. Angie, I agree with you. It is a sublimely beautiful painting. Wish we knew more about Vermeer. My grandson is a beautiful child. Almost too beautiful. He's often taken for a girl. He is now getting to the age where that might become an ego issue for him. I love his long hair, but maybe it's time . . . Nah. He'll just have to deal with it :D.
    John :
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    I love that Old Master Approach. Not that you're old mind you! :D Very nice work, Icebear. thumb.gif
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    for reference

Girl-Pearl-Earring-Veemer-L.jpg
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    I hope everyone goes to this painter and study the lighting. It is what you should strive for. Watch the light to shadow portions.

John, keep the grapejuice, you can blackmail her later in life. Gotta love little girls.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    I don't think "too dark" is the issue. It's the balance of tones, and especially the relation of the subject to the background, in both of which I think Vermeer has been more successful.mwink.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Icebear wrote: »
    My grandson is a beautiful child. Almost too beautiful.

With respect, I find this an odd and even dangerous remark! That a boy could be too beautiful?!

Reminds me that beauty was also a "problem" for the ancient Greeks, but of quite a different kind. Physical perfection of any kind, for them, was something of a liability, since it belonged in the realm of the Divine and was likely to be reclaimed into that realm sooner than later, as was the case with Ganymedes (etymology = 'pride in boyhood').

Beauty, responsibility and logic are things that can never be disclaimed by "too".

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Gorgeous child, lovely photo, great lighting, but it is too dark for my taste - since you asked.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Thanks Sara. I haven't done anything more with this image, but may yet. It just looks a bit dull to me, but I think that's more an issue of the clothing, and not his face & hair. Maybe I should bring up the black point some to add some dynamic range?
    John :
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    This is fantastic just the way it is and the only thing I could think of that would enhance is a third light on the background but other than that....well done!

P.S. My grandson got mistaken to for a girl all the time as he had hair down to his waist until recently when he donated a good portion of it to Lochs of Love
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Nice image...nice lighting as well.