The Moon and The Tower in an Early Morning Moment...

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited December 28, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
5236449981_79cd4fee48_b.jpg
museum4 by jiro bau, on Flickr

Thank you for viewing. smile.png

Nikon D70, 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 Lens set at 60mm. Exposure at f11 at 1/100 sec, Manual Mode in Matrix Metering. Post-Processing in ACDSEE Pro 3.
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Shades of HyperionShades of Hyperion Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    Nice, I like this shot a lot. Well done
    Scooba Steve

Shades of Hyperion photography
    Extraordinary photos can not be had standing where everyone else is standing, looking where everyone else is looking
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    Nice, I like this shot a lot. Well done

Thank you for such a nice compliment. :D

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Simplicity ... works every time thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 27, 2010
    OK, so Christmas is over and I'm going to be the grinch for a moment.

This is nicely exposed and has good color and detail. There's nothing wrong with the image as is, but the title you gave it suggests that you considered the moon an important part. I would bet that you were surprised to see how small the moon is in the frame compared to your memory of the scene. While we can't exactly zoom with our eyes, our brains let us exclude large parts of what is in our field of vision and concentrate on what is of greatest interest. Cameras are more literal minded. As long as you are not doing photojournalism, the solution is to manipulate the image to make it closer to what we actually perceive. One possibility is to shoot two frames using a longer lens on the moon alone and combine the two. Another is to select the moon (plus a little of the surrounding sky) and enlarge it till looks more like the scene you remember. Don't push it too far, though, as you want it to be believable. thumb.gif
    edited December 27, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Simplicity ... works every time thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Thanks, Mary. Thank you also for viewing. :D

edited December 27, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    OK, so Christmas is over and I'm going to be the grinch for a moment.

This is nicely exposed and has good color and detail. There's nothing wrong with the image as is, but the title you gave it suggests that you considered the moon an important part. I would bet that you were surprised to see how small the moon is in the frame compared to your memory of the scene. While we can't exactly zoom with our eyes, our brains let us exclude large parts of what is in our field of vision and concentrate on what is of greatest interest. Cameras are more literal minded. As long as you are not doing photojournalism, the solution is to manipulate the image to make it closer to what we actually perceive. One possibility is to shoot two frames using a longer lens on the moon alone and combine the two. Another is to select the moon (plus a little of the surrounding sky) and enlarge it till looks more like the scene you remember. Don't push it too far, though, as you want it to be believable. thumb.gif

Thanks, Richard. I don't think you're the Grinch on your comment here. :D I like your idea of replacing the "moon" with a larger image to balance the composition. I have thought about that. I only thought that it's not allowed or polite to totally alter the original image by introducing a new object that was not literally captured by the camera. I can easily do that (remember, I used to be a photoshopper before I bought my used Nikon D70. rolleyes1.gif). I'll post another variation of this picture with the moon a little bit bigger later. Thanks for the idea. thumb.gif

edited December 27, 2010
    Would this suffice? mwink.gif

5296962264_f7243e38e6_b.jpg
    the moon and the tower by jiro bau, on Flickr

Thanks for the tip, Richard. thumb.gif

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 27, 2010
    I think that's much better. Whether it is allowed or not is a matter of opinion and the purpose of the image. For documentary work, it is certainly frowned upon and in photojournalism it can get you fired. In advertising, it's almost required. In fine art, anything goes, IMO, though not everyone agrees with this. On Other Cool Shots, it's no problem at all, but watch your step on Street & PJ rolleyes1.gif.
    edited December 27, 2010
    Thanks again for the advice, Richard. I almost forgot... we are in the "Other Cool Shots" section of DGrin. rolleyes1.gif

• Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Agree about the size of the moon. But I wanted to talk about your composition from another point of view. I will be talking about... saturation and whole impression... Moon and morning... For me you photo needs some mystery so to say... Its too natural .... May I recommend you one trick ... copy layer. Select 'Multiply' blending mode - colours will become saturated. Now add Blur->Gaussian Blur [4] to this layer. Now set opacity to what you want. Yes the image is loosing sharpness... but becomes ... not so natural... Thank you,... Yuri
    edited December 27, 2010
    Agree about the size of the moon. But I wanted to talk about your composition from another point of view. I will be talking about... saturation and whole impression... Moon and morning... For me you photo needs some mystery so to say... Its too natural .... May I recommend you one trick ... copy layer. Select 'Multiply' blending mode - colours will become saturated. Now add Blur->Gaussian Blur [4] to this layer. Now set opacity to what you want. Yes the image is loosing sharpness... but becomes ... not so natural... Thank you,... Yuri

Thank you, Yuri for commenting on my work. I did some editing based on your suggestion. Would this work? Thanks again for helping a newbie like me. :D

5297641572_5c268d135d_b.jpg
    the moon and the tower2 by jiro bau, on Flickr

edited December 27, 2010
    Wow .. I'm learning a whole lot from this one photo :D

Never thought about making the moon bigger or adding some 'mystery' to the photo.

Gotta ask .. how did you make the moon bigger?
    edited December 27, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Wow .. I'm learning a whole lot from this one photo :D

Never thought about making the moon bigger or adding some 'mystery' to the photo.

Gotta ask .. how did you make the moon bigger?

I googled "First Quarter Moon" and then look at some of the images on the net. I saw one without any copyright infringement note on it (meaning it is free to be used by the public) and then positioned it where I think it would make some balance with respect to its new size. Use a new layer for that inside photoshop and set the blending mode to "SCREEN".

Isn't DGrin, great? We all learn from one another. My humble respect to all you guys who are helping me. :Dbowdown.gif

edited December 27, 2010
    jiro wrote: »
    I googled "First Quarter Moon" and then look at some of the images on the net. I saw one without any copyright infringement note on it (meaning it is free to be used by the public) and then positioned it where I think it would make some balance with respect to its new size. Use a new layer for that inside photoshop and set the blending mode to "SCREEN".

Isn't DGrin, great? We all learn from one another. My humble respect to all you guys who are helping me. :Dbowdown.gif

Thanks for sharing how you did it :D
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    I like it better! Well done!
    edited December 28, 2010
    I like it better! Well done!

Thank you very much, Yuri. I am learning a lot about photography from my interaction with the members of DGrin. Thanks for the advice and approval. :D