New camera for Christmas!

helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
edited December 25, 2010 in Cameras
Yeah! I got my new camera for Christmas today! :D

Kind of funny though. The camera I got was the Canon 500D with an 18-55mm lens, 50mm f/1.8 lens, and a Speedlight 270EX flash. I ended up opening up the flash first, so it was kind of a huge giveaway that I was going to get a newer camera.

I know it's not the best lenses and flash, but since it's my first ever DSLR, it will be good for me. Yesterday at a Christmas party, I got gift certs for a camera store that's in Sarnia, so I'll be putting those to good use eventually. :wink

Expect some new pictures. I'm so excited to use it. :D

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!!
-Brandon

Flickr
My Gear

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    Congrats on the new camera. Any DSLR today is an upgrade if you've been using a point-and-shoot. The 18-55mm lens (presumably you have the current version with IS) is actually quite decent; its biggest limitation is the f/5.6 maximum aperture at the long end, which your Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 can make up for.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • snowman1snowman1 Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    Sure nothing wrong with that set up, Nice Lens and flash,
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 25, 2010
    Congratulations on the new camera. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JRSabaterJRSabater Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    Congrats on the new camera.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    Congratulations and a tip....
    Congratulations on your new camera and flash! I use the 270EX quite often and I have found that the addition of the Joe Demb Photojournalist Flip-It makes the flash more efficient and versatile.

I like to bounce my flash to obtain natural looking lighting. The 270EX has one slight problem in that while it tilts, it doesn't rotate. Therefore you cannot effectively bounce the flash off a ceiling when in the vertical position. The convenient small size of the 270EX also places the flash-tube very close to the axis of the lens. This can lead to red eye and "deer caught in the headlights look".

The addition of the Joe Demb Photojournalist Flip-It diffuser/reflector really helps to add versatility and to provide nice lighting to any image. It produces nice lighting in the vertical position, prevents red eye and generally improves the look of flash to a great degree.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/models/

The Flip-It is relatively inexpensive at about $25.00 yet it does a marvelous job in improving the capability of the 270EX.

I really like this little flash unit and carry it on my camera just about everywhere. It is light in weight and the recycle time is quite fast. I would suggest that you try using it as fill flash outdoors. That is one of my prime uses for the 270EX.

Here is a sample of shots from Hong Kong using the 270EX and the Flip-It:

860543991_WxysD-L.jpg

859065552_d8d4T-L.jpg

859065145_rTous-L.jpg

859063466_ebT2u-L.jpg

My Hong Kong Gallery was shot primarily using the 270EX with Joe Demb Flip-It. It can be found along with my other China Galleries (in which the 270EX was used primarily for outdoor fill) at:
    http://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/
  • helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    I've actually really enjoyed the 270EX flash so far. I've been taking various picture around the house for my brother out east, and I have been using the flash for most every shot. I love how I can bounce it off the ceiling (a little thing, I know, but coming from a camera with a flash that can't bounce off, I'm enjoying it). It doesn't give off those harsh shadows that usual flashes do. I am loving this new camera. :D
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    Nice! Learn it inside and out, and it can take some really great photos. Well, lemme change that, you can take some really great photos with it. The 270EX and 50 1.8 are good accesories that will be very useful. Have fun playing around with that 1.8 aperture. Post some of your best pics!