Trying Something different

RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited December 27, 2010 in People
Had some time to kill and had just recently finished painting my attic black.

Threw a couple of speedlights on stands, coupled with umbrellas and set an AB800/Giant Softbox out front. The Intention was to try and separate the subject from the back ground.

Details: Subject 4' from BG, 430EXII on stand camera right bounced from umbrella about a Foot behind subject. Light 2 580EXII in stand camera left shoot through half covered umbrella. AB800 with Giant Softbox behind camera to the left. 430 set to 24mm@1/4th, 580 set 24mm@1/8 while AB set to 3 1/2 stops below full. Shot at 1/125th 160 ISO f/4.5 nifty 50 on a 7D.

My mom came up to see what i was up to on Christmas eve so she got utilized

1136984556_qcL8T-M.jpg

So i let her get to feel what its like "behind the glass"

1136984320_owSpi-M.jpg

C & C always welcome and appreciated
Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
Canon speedlights and Alien Bees

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    Randy, you created a lighting situation that would never exist in nature. Your lighting is brightest on opposite sides of your models. I can't honestly say that I like the effect. I'd dial those speedlights waaaay back Bro. As is, it just screams FLASH!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    I agree with turning down the speedlights a bit. The back of your neck looks overexposed.

But I disagree with never seeing this situation. Its a studio, you create whatever you want. You have ultimate control over everything. I see images like this all the time done by commercial photographers for sports stars and the like.

If you want to improve this, I would dial back the speedlights, move the one on the right so its more of a hairlight than a rim light. And turn up the b800, it seems like its not bright enough.

Just my $0.02, and take it with a brick of salt because I'm looking at the images from my smartphone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Jer
  • RacinRandyRacinRandy Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    Thank you, Both Icebear and Jeremy, I have some friends coming over this evening for some "Modeling" practice and lighting practice. Gets really really boring shooting a 24" tall teddy bear all the time! I will try toning down the speeds and bumping the bee.

I'll repost with some better shots soon.... I hope!!

P.S. Jeremy, I have a female friend that's attending college in EC. She is rather good looking and loves to model! If your interested in a nice looking model that's willing to pose for prints let me know.

Do you have facebook?
    Randy

EOS Rebel XS Digital/ EOS 7D/ EOS 6D
    50mm f1.8/ Tamron 70-200 f2.8 is/ 24-105 f4L
    Canon speedlights and Alien Bees
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    RacinRandy wrote: »
    Gets really really boring shooting a 24" tall teddy bear all the time!

:D I hear you! I'm always chasing down some reluctant family member every time I want to try something new. Looks like you're off to a good start!
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    Gets really really boring shooting a 24" tall teddy bear all the time! [/QUOT]

I will agree with this statement .....

however......

my favorite model is a wig head / w wig.....she never complains, never asks for potty breaks or wants me to buy her lunch or dinner and NEVER complains about the compensation and I have never had to have her sign a model release.........

Maybe you just need a bigger teddy bear :D:Drolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    P.S. Jeremy, I have a female friend that's attending college in EC. She is rather good looking and loves to model! If your interested in a nice looking model that's willing to pose for prints let me know.

Do you have facebook?

Sweet! http://www.facebook.com/jwinterberg
    Jer
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    Randy, I sort of like this style of lighting. Not necessarly for mom but for sports players, cheerleaders or others for an edgy look. I think you did a good job on exposure. This lighitng is not supposed to be perfect. You said you were trying to separate the subject from the background. I don't see that happening. If you have an extra light hit the background with it and you will get the separation. You did a really nice job on these.
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    I like it. I do agree that you could dial back the rear flash but I like the style.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 27, 2010
    I think the photo with the lady - the light is to harsh and such light makes all the wrinkles and textures stand out. I would use a beauty dish or a soft box. Now in photoshop you have to work on the skin colour. Look on my blog I have put some easy tutorial on skin tones http://tomnovy.co.uk/blog/
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me