Save for a 7D or Used 1D2?

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited December 31, 2010 in Cameras
Seriously debating. I haven't researched the 1DII at ISO 1600 yet, which I'm sure the 7D will prolly cream the 1DII, however, I shoot a lot of sports with strobes, so just a usable 1600 is all I need. Not perfect 1600.

SHooting basketball with a 5DII now and a 70-200 is close, too close sometimes, so the reason I'm a bit hesitant about the 1.6 crop on the 7D vs the 1.3 on the 1DII. Just haven't used them enough.

GUessing what I really should do is borrow a 1D2 from a friend and see how it compares to what I'm using now... I know there will be a huge speed diff in FPS, which I don't really care about (would probably set drive to low anyway) but just image usability is going to be the key... My 5D which I believe came out around the same time as the 1DII is usable at 1600, but 3200 it's not.

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2010
    I try to keep my 1DII at 800, but I will go to 1600 if I really have to. Then again, I don't do any noise reduction in PP. To sum it up, the 7D has bells and whistles like video and the big LCD, and the 1DII has the high-quality build and really, REALLY good AF. 8mp doesn't give me much cropping room, though. That's the only thing I wish were better.
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Jim, I'm just curious so if you don't mind me asking do you make a living with these shots? If so, what's your max print size?

The reason I'm asking is if your using strobes maybe a 1D(4MP) could work for you with the 1/500 sync. I've managed images without flash @ISO 1000 that my Prof. at the time refused to believe came from a 2001 body. Heck, at todays prices one could almost consider them disposables.

If you weren't about 1000 miles away you could give mine a go.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    The 1D is very good for 400 bucks, but the 4mp is too prohibiting for me. The 8mp in my 1D2 isn't always enuf for me...
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    The 1D is very good for 400 bucks, but the 4mp is too prohibiting for me. The 8mp in my 1D2 isn't always enuf for me...

Granted for long tele stuff the 4MP is rather limiting, but in regards to courtside it wouldn't be an issue. Given Jim states the 70-200 on FF is sometimes to close.

As far as lenses go I've seen a fair amount of praise for the lowly 28-135mm(I should probably give mine a chance now and again) on the 1D, at least it would absorb the crop factor while opening up the framing for those to close shots.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Yeah, debating right now to be honest. Though a 1/500 sync would be nice! :) I shot a couple HS Basketball games down at Purdue last night. Bright enough I could use my 20D @ 800 (missing those incremental stops of the 5DII, 640 was perfect.) ANyway, had my 70-200 on the 20D and 24-70 on the 5DII for under the basket. 1.3x would had probably been good, but I think 1.7x might had been better. Wide was too wide and 70 was close enough when players were outside the paint (far outside) So I might just have to play with my 24-70 on the 20D next time I'm in a bright location (didn't even think about it last night) and see if that's too much magnification, or just right....
  • FreezframeFreezframe Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    7D is probably your best bet!
    Mk2 is just to old- you will be out dating yourself even before you start. Now if your thinking a MK2n that's not that bad. The upgrade in screen size and Digi upgrade keeps this camera in use with most pros. The 7D is a good camera,great features especially focusing - Digi Quad. Not to sure about 18mp - may be a little over done for 1.6 crop.ISO performance is good so far in my experience. If you choose the 7D it won't be out dated in a year.

That's my 2 cents: Bradyne_nau.gif
    Dad/Photograher:ivar
  • TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    I shoot hockey with the 1DIIN and a 2.8 70-200 IS, and above 800 the shots blow. I use NR @ISO 500 and up. The AF is great, and the FPS is great (7D the same) but your prolly better off with the 7D. I got a good deal on my IIN, so that's why I have it. I only shoot a small bit of hockey too, most of my stuff is family stuff or creative garbage I do on my own.