New to Photography - My family

jason442jason442 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited December 28, 2010 in People
What do you guys think? I purchased a Canon Rebel after my son was born and my interest in photography has grown from there. I still have lots to learn, but I believe these to be my best so far:921468903_HcLAW-L.jpg724822284_DeFNo-M.jpg724823546_Xxv9E-M.jpg724815473_dg9EE-M.jpg906969185_6otmW-M.jpg

1026573781_rTNGY-M.jpg1060090818_ZQBd6-M.jpg

Comments

• jason442jason442 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 26, 2010
    Hi, I would be interested hearing any comments on composition & overall what anyone thinks. I need some constructive feedback to get better. Thanks!
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    my 2 cents of first observation

1 the eyes don't seem in focus

2 and 4 are out of focus. 4th one, baby is in focus but than it drops off on her, again with the eyes

3 - cut off the hand and fingers, good focus, not so sure about the crooked horizontal line tho, looks under exposed

5 and 6 are good, 6 would be better if he was looking at camera tho

7 seems like a snapshot
  • tomnovytomnovy Registered Users Posts: 1,101 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 27, 2010
    I think you have a good eye. You do the right things, but you need some more practice on the technical side. Like shutter speed to not make the photo blurry, or aperture settings so that you can separate the main subject from the background. On the beginning the best way to learn is to look on youtube and practice practice practice. Ofcourse you can ask some people on this forum for advice as well. Good luck!
    SmugMug Support Hero | Customizer | My SmugMug site - http://www.photom.me | Customization Portal - https://portal.photom.me
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    I see broken links and the side by side formating is throwing me off heh..
    overall not bad. one immediate tip is to fine the setting to allow for a single focus point and put that over the eye. In these type of shots hitting focus on the eye is everything. This can be a pain in the butt, but learn how to do it and do it efficiently..it will pay dividends. Also the shot wit hte child in the red costume..starighten it out.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • jason442jason442 Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited December 28, 2010
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

One thing that I am finding is that it's tough to learn the technical side when using my son (he's a toddler) as the subject). I am always in a rush to take the shot because he is always on the move - (parents, you know what I'm talking about)

What I need to do is try some landscapes, or other subjects to really hone in on what I'm trying to accomplish. After while, I'm sure it becomes second nature and I may be able to keep up with my son!

Thanks again!
    Jason