Need a non Mac laptop

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited January 8, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
I say non mac because my desktop is non mac. No desire to switch.

I just the ability to run LR3 and catalog and sort images from event shoots. And do light processing. I want something small and with a good battery life. Looking at them reveles a sea of computers that seem Ehh. Nothing I see I am really digging. The Alienware 11" one sound appealing due to an 8 hour battery life and a 1gig graphics card. But it is THICK. The ASUS thin ones look pretty good. But, will they have enough power for LR3?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    I am using a Dell Studio 1745 (17 inch screen) ......right now it is a desktop replacement....their service has been great and I just a notice that I have approx 1 month to purchase their 3yr warranty.........I like that about Dell a lot.

I had a few probs in the beginning ...it seemed thay must have gotten a ton of BAD DVD writers in and I kept getting them....after 3 returns It has been right now for the last 9 months.....all returns were on their dime and they even sent all the needed packaging so I have dell laptop boxes stacked in my storage area......
    I bought a current refurb, by current I am referring to the fact that it was a model that was in the current Dell Lineup not any out of production model......it is what I use when traveling to process my work on.....it run photoshop 2, 4 (32 and 64 bit) and LR 3.3 64bit with out a prob....I do not keep the 32 bit software on it but ran several tests with all open and working different pix at same time.....I also do not have any games or junk on the system......the C drive only has software loaded that I am currently actively working with.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    I am currently using a Dell e4300. I do most of my LR3 work using an external monitor that covers 100% of the sRGB color space (I am too cheap to buy a wide gamut display). When I first got the laptop it was too slow for LR3, but I added a solid state drive (SSD) and now it is plenty fast.

I am not recommending that laptop, per se, but I am recommending you get an SSD. It has made such a difference in my performance.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    I am currently using a Dell e4300. I do most of my LR3 work using an external monitor that covers 100% of the sRGB color space (I am too cheap to buy a wide gamut display). When I first got the laptop it was too slow for LR3, but I added a solid state drive (SSD) and now it is plenty fast.

I am not recommending that laptop, per se, but I am recommending you get an SSD. It has made such a difference in my performance.

Which one do you have?? Are they upto the 500gb size now??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 26, 2010
    I have a 120gb version. I use an external HD for

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk
    edited December 26, 2010
    Oops hit the wrong button on my tablet.

I use an external hd for LR storage and catalog, but cache files are on the SSD. I have the normal delay in loading the preview, but once in the develop module it is plenty fast.

In general, having an SSD in my laptop has been like getting a new computer. Win7 x64 cold boots faster now than it used to come back from standby.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2010
    Czech it: Here

I bought an i5 this past year and it works fine. Thing I noticed is there are tons of core-2-duo's around and i3's but no i5's....

Just make sure it is a core-i and preferably an i5 or above.

Add an SSD like MileHighAko mentioned and you're moon-walkin~

Cheers,
    tom wise
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Thanks for the replies! So i5 or more and SSD sounds good. Dell does have a few good options but all the good ones seem bigger. I want smaller for sure.

Anyone have any luck with Asus or HP?
  • NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Anyone have any luck with Asus or HP?

Probably more with an ASUS. See page 6...

http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/SquareTrade_laptop_reliability_1109.pdf

Caveat.... a lot of people in various forums scoff at this survey stating it is statistically flawed. I say that in light of the lack of statistically correct reliability surveys, this is the best we have so take it into consideration.

I had thought that an OEM division of ASUS made the Sony laptops and until recently, maybe still, the Apple Mac Books. I can't find the link atm that backs that up but have found other interesting links on the subject. It is likely a fluid situation year to year.

Btw... I use a basic ASUS (N80 with dual core P8600 2.4Ghz CPU, 4G RAM) that is now a year old. It goes away on trips regularly. Nothing fancy but it is noticeably faster than the gaming desktop I built 3 years ago and which I do all of my post processing on. The ASUS has a few flakey OS issues related to using sleep mode but I have read that this is a common issue with both laptops and desktops and a reboot always clears things up for a week or two.

edited December 29, 2010
    Interesting link. 1 more good reason to look at the Asus and Toshiba.
    edited January 4, 2011
    So I made up my mind. I went with a Lenovo Thinkpad X201. After looking at lots of reviews seems like a killer little machine.

12" screen
    almost 10hr battery life
    i5 processor
    500gb 7200RPM HD
    8gb ram
    PC card/ expansion slot will let me use a compact flash card adapter! No extra cables or devices needed.

So for what I am doing I am hoping this thing will be fit the bill. Basically it will be my sorting machine. And be able to display some shots at an event to get people buying. In the end if it needs more speed, I will pick up an SSD.
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    edited January 4, 2011
    Ric Grupe wrote: »

Those are no doubt awesome machines. The dual SSD would make it scream for photo sorting. But they are $600-$1200 more than the one I bought. And the battery life is not as high on the sony.
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    Zerodog wrote: »
    I say non mac because my desktop is non mac. No desire to switch.

I just the ability to run LR3 and catalog and sort images from event shoots. And do light processing. I want something small and with a good battery life. Looking at them reveles a sea of computers that seem Ehh. Nothing I see I am really digging. The Alienware 11" one sound appealing due to an 8 hour battery life and a 1gig graphics card. But it is THICK. The ASUS thin ones look pretty good. But, will they have enough power for LR3?

Any ideas?

The Alienware m11x's have notorious hinge-breaking issues and Dell isn't really addressing the issue after THOUSANDS of complaints. Everybody stay away from that one.

I bought an asus ul80vt recently, which has a lot of power but can go from 6-12hrs battery life as well due to hybrid CPU and graphics. Its a 14" laptop and spec-wise with battery life and features, its basically the next best all around laptop, at least in its price range. BTW some i3s are faster than i5s in the equivalent price range... it comes down to processor model which needs comparing. Sometimes the labels of i3 and i5 don't really mean anything since some overlap the other. Its odd.
    edited January 8, 2011
    I looked at the alienware 15" model. It looked like the ass end of the batmobile! And it nicely fits into the toy category in look and feel. Why are we so inclined in America to settle for disposable crap? This is why apple is killing it right now. You pick up any of their devices and it feels well made and like it is a quality item. It might not be better, but it sure feels and looks better.

In the end what I came up with was Lenovo, Asus, and Toshiba. They all seem to get the best reviews and have great specs, including battery life, all around. Just a bit more $$. The sony's are killer. Just too much $$ for me and not enough battery life.

My Lenovo should be shipping next week. I can't wait to get my hands on it to try it out. Now I get to figure out WiFi. I have never needed it until now.
    What is good and easy?
  • OverfocusedOverfocused Registered Users Posts: 1,068 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    For $850 I got a Gateway P-7805u 2 years ago when I bought the 5D Mark II. Its like this laptop was made just for editing the photos; the specs are just right for handling them quickly and efficiently. Its capable of dealing with 2.5GB panorama PSDs as well that come out of 8-12 raws from the camera :)