Options

Light pollution

hioo1hioo1 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited December 29, 2010 in Technique
I was shooting some photos of our christmas tree and there seems to be this haze around all the close in photos of the ornaments, the only thing I can describe it as is light pollution. I tried adjusting the contrast and that helped a little but it is still noticeable.

1138258782_PZ4N7-M.jpg

I was thinking a polarizing filter would help, and if so, this may be the thing to finally make me get one. If not, is there any other ideas?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Yeah, the only thing that I can think of is back up and shoot long...it appears to be light coming into the lens and giving those hazy-halo's...which is normal. You basically are backing up to a distance that those lights lose their ability to throw light onto you sensor. I haven't tried it so that is all that comes to mind~
    tom wise
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 27, 2010
    This is flair from the light reflecting off the optical elements of the lens and/or the lens barrel itself.

I think the 5 second exposure is significant, and your choice of lens, may also play a role.

Try a much shorter exposure by raising the ISO, or the ambient light level - maybe try bouncing a pair of speedlights off the corners of the room to raise the ambient light.

I think a good prime lens will suffer with less halation than than the 18-200mm lens you used. I own and like that lens, and it is handy for walkaround. But it is not finest glass optically speaking.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    This is flair from the light reflecting off the optical elements of the lens and/or the lens barrel itself.

I think the 5 second exposure is significant, and your choice of lens, may also play a role.

Try a much shorter exposure by raising the ISO, or the ambient light level - maybe try bouncing a pair of speedlights off the corners of the room to raise the ambient light.

I think a good prime lens will suffer with less halation than than the 18-200mm lens you used. I own and like that lens, and it is handy for walkaround. But it is not finest glass optically speaking.

Alright...What the H plugin do you have for FF? Mine tells me almost nothing compared to yours!
    tom wise
  • Options
    BFauskaBFauska Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Exif Viewer 1.55 gave me squat... I want what pathfinder has.

If you go to the OP's gallery and view the image there the Exif is more useful.
  • Options
    hioo1hioo1 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Didn't think of that, maybe I will try to retake some with my 50 mm, and possibly try some shorter exposures. Thanks for the help, I'll post the retakes soon.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited December 28, 2010
    No secret. I just imported the image in this thread into CS5 to read the exif data.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited December 28, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    No secret. I just imported the image in this thread into CS5 to read the exif data.

! Right ! Got it!thumb.gif
    tom wise
  • Options
    BFauskaBFauska Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Now that I know he used CS5 I really want what pathfinder used :D or any version of the suite really.

If you want a plugin for firefox that reads Exif easily and quickly I use "Exif Viewer" and all you have to do is right click on the image and choose "View image Exif data" and it pops up a window with the information about the camera and settings. I don't know why I thought it didn't work on this image before, I just tried it again and it did work.

Sorry for the Hijack, post the results if you do a re-shoot. I like nice tight shots of Christmas ornaments on trees, I always think they look great as Christmas cards.