New Canon!

AdrianRVAdrianRV Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited January 11, 2011 in Cameras
Hey everyone, I just got myself a new Canon Rebel T2i.:barb It's not a professional camera but boy is it packed with some neat features and awesome quality. I am still getting used to it and finding new things as I play around with it. I got the 18-55 kit, I was thinking of purchasing some glass for it and had my eye on two, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and the Canon 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS. I need some insight from people who have actually paired the 18-135 with the T2i and used it for and extensive period of time, is it worth purchasing it to replace my kit lens? The 50mm is a no brainer:rolleyes and will actually be my next purchase but I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions as to what to purchase to pair with my new camera. I have absolutely no gear at all as I got rid of my old Canon and gear to be able to afford this one, so I have to restart my kit. I do mostly portrait and landscape photography so suggestions on that field would be great. I am open to any suggestions and advice, thanks to everyone for all your help:thumb

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    The 50mm f/1.4 USM is a very good lens, well worth the price, and on a camera like the T2i it makes a very nice portrait lens. The 18-135mm gets rather mixed reviews. The current version of the 18-55mm kit lens is actually pretty good aside from the slow maximum aperture at the long end (the 50mm f/1.4 will make up for that, anyway), but if you want to widen the zoom range a bit, I would suggest the EF-S 15-85mm rather than the 18-135mm.

You might find a flash helpful too. The Canon 430 EX II is a good mid-range choice, less expensive (though also less powerful) than the 580, but more flexible than the 270 (the 270 can tilt but not rotate, whereas the 430 does both).
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    AdrianRV wrote: »
    Hey everyone, I just got myself a new Canon Rebel T2i.wings.gif It's not a professional camera but boy is it packed with some neat features and awesome quality. I am still getting used to it and finding new things as I play around with it. I got the 18-55 kit, I was thinking of purchasing some glass for it and had my eye on two, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and the Canon 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS. I need some insight from people who have actually paired the 18-135 with the T2i and used it for and extensive period of time, is it worth purchasing it to replace my kit lens? The 50mm is a no brainerrolleyes1.gif and will actually be my next purchase but I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions as to what to purchase to pair with my new camera. I have absolutely no gear at all as I got rid of my old Canon and gear to be able to afford this one, so I have to restart my kit. I do mostly portrait and landscape photography so suggestions on that field would be great. I am open to any suggestions and advice, thanks to everyone for all your helpthumb.gif

Glad you are happy with the new camera, it looks great on paper.

I sometimes wonder whether these type of questions should not be sponsored by the camera brands. There is so much else to buy besides glass - flash, tripod, lens cap, filters, studio lights and backgrounds, editing softwares, new display, even a new pc, web-site, etc, etc.

I skipped the kit zoom when I bought my 40D and went straight for the f2.8 17-55 IS USM. This is my workhorse lens and it is really nice to have f2.8 for these aspects. Still, my daughter has an 18-55 on a Rebel and she takes great pictures with it. By the sound of it, your "awesome quality" is also being delivered by the 18-55.

I look forward to opinions from people who actually used the 18-135. It looks like an awesomely ambitious lens. I would find it very convenient for walking around, although I would be missing my f2.8 and I would still need my telephoto and my macro.

Welcome to the world of dslr - so many trade-offs, so many choices.
  • AdrianRVAdrianRV Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions thumb.gif I actually picked these two lenses as my top choice mainly because of their price, I am on a strict budget and some of these lenses you guys suggested are up there considering their price. I thought the 50 1.4 would give me those extra sharp portraits with a nice kick of bokeh, and the 28-135 would be a good multipurpose lens, but I want to hear from someone that actually owns this lens to make sure it's worth buying. I was also thinking of investing on a decently priced tripod and flash. I was even considering buying used online (lenses), has anyone had any past experience with this?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 27, 2010
    From your first post:
    ... the Canon 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS. ...

From your last post:
    ... the 28-135 would be a good multipurpose lens...

These are 2 very different lenses.

Regardless, neither is spectacular but both are fine for general snapshots and moderate enlargements. Beyond maybe a 5" x 7" I would consider other lenses. Not that all subjects would be excluded but simple subject matter would tolerate greater enlargement.

As usual it all boils down to what you want to shoot and how you want to shoot it. At large apertures neither of the above is all that sharp, but stopped down they can be better.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited December 28, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    From your first post:

From your last post:

These are 2 very different lenses.

Regardless, neither is spectacular but both are fine for general snapshots and moderate enlargements. Beyond maybe a 5" x 7" I would consider other lenses. Not that all subjects would be excluded but simple subject matter would tolerate greater enlargement.

As usual it all boils down to what you want to shoot and how you want to shoot it. At large apertures neither of the above is all that sharp, but stopped down they can be better.

I'm sorry, I meant to say the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS from the beginning but I was also looking at the 18-135 as well. What do you think about the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM? What lower priced glass would you suggest for my style of shooting (mainly portrait and landscape)? I know the lower priced lenses aren't going to be extremely sharp but I want to go as low as possible with some decent output.
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    It is a hard choice. Personally, I'd ditch the kit lens and go for the 17-55 2.8. But it isn't all that cheap (about $700, I think). If you want cheap and good, check out the fast primes, like the 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 100 2.0, etc.
    - Bill
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Bit surprised you are now looking at the 28-135 - I would advise you to think carefully about sacrificing the wide angles (18-28) which I find handy on a 1.6 crop camera like the Rebel.

billytheks idea to check out an f1.8 prime is a good one - these lenses are relatively cheap, especially the 50mm. Then you can see how fast primes compare with your 18-55 and help figure what you value most in your glass.

When you are on a tight budget and just starting out it is not worth paying the extra for f1.4. You can get good bokeh on the cheaper lenses, even on the zooms once you figure out depth-of-field and manual mode.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 28, 2010
    I'm sorry, I meant to say the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS from the beginning but I was also looking at the 18-135 as well. What do you think about the 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM? What lower priced glass would you suggest for my style of shooting (mainly portrait and landscape)? I know the lower priced lenses aren't going to be extremely sharp but I want to go as low as possible with some decent output.

The Canon EF-S 17-85mm, f4-5.6 IS USM is an OK lens but not really suited for portraiture and it lacks that crispness that help landscapes to pop as well.

The least I recommend is the Tamron AF 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di-II LD SP ZL Aspherical (IF). For a standard zoom it is one of the better lenses with an extremely sharp center and middle 2/3rds. The Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM is considerably better at the edges and corners and it adds a very usable IS, but it's a lot more money. The constant aperture of f2.8 on these lenses is terribly important to your goals.

The next lens I would add is the Canon EF 85mm, f1.8 USM. For head shots and head-and-shoulders (if you have the room) it's a very capable lens and not terribly expensive.

Make sure to budget for a capable and appropriate flash as well. Proper lighting is more important than lenses and both are more important than the camera.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    + 1 on the Tamron 17-50 - for the price, it's hard to beat!
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    I'd go with some nice primes or a Tam 17-50. Some primes to consider are: 20 2.8, 24 2.8, 35 f2, 50 1.4(or maybe the 1.8), 85 1.8, and 100 f2.
    All of these are ~$300-$400.

For what you're looking for the 17-50 is right in your price range. The non-VC version is about the price of any of the primes I mentioned.

But if you want faster apertures then there are some really nice primes out there. For what you want I say the 20 2.8 (although it's not as good optically as the 24mm, it'll be wider on the 1.6x sensor) and the 85 1.8. And the 50 1.8, or save and get the 50 1.4.
    edited December 28, 2010
    Now I feel like trying that Tamron 17-50 on my camera :D I was thinking of going for the 50 1.8 instead of the 1.4 because of the price, but I would be sacrificing the quality as well, the 1.4 would probably be a better bet as it will last longer because it's better built than the 1.8 and I think that's worth the price increase. Would you guys suggest the Canon 28-135 f/3.6-5.6 as a walkaround multipurpose lens? I've found some nice deals on it, and it looks good on paper but not sure of the reviews i've seen. Would you guys advice buying used with my cheapo budget?rolleyes1.gif.....and once again thank you all for this great advice bowdown.gif
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The least I recommend is the Tamron AF 17-50mm, f2.8 XR Di-II LD SP ZL Aspherical (IF). For a standard zoom it is one of the better lenses with an extremely sharp center and middle 2/3rds. The Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM is considerably better at the edges and corners and it adds a very usable IS, but it's a lot more money. The constant aperture of f2.8 on these lenses is terribly important to your goals.

I agree with all of this, I started with the 17-85 and had to move on to the 17-55 when it came out. The 17-85 had too small of a maximum aperture, only made worse by the lack of constant aperture, making it a slow lens in general and mediocre for portraits. The 17-55 not only has f/2.8 but it will maintain it all the way up to 55mm...much better depth of field for portraits, and crisper image quality overall. I haven't tried the Tamron.
    edited December 28, 2010
    For me, the f3.6 on the 28-135 would be a dealbreaker even before considering that it's not terrible wide on a crop camera - nothing like fast enough in low light for me, or offering enough background-blurring-bokeh for portraits, but YMMV.

I think the Tam 17-50 and 50 1.8 would be excellent additions for somebody starting out, and well within the budget you've implied by your original suggestions. The 50 1.8 is a GREAT lens - yes, it's plastic, but it's also lightweight and optically fantastic; in some ways I preferred it to the 50 1.4 I have now. Both of these lenses are generally easy to sell on the used market if/when you decide you want something else, so you aren't taking a big risk with either of them. If you're willing to buy used (keh.com if you want it backed by a store, or reputable sites such as here at dgrin or fredmiranda.com if you don't mind buying privatel), you could get both of those lenses for well under $500 (used price for the Tamron Mk I is usually ~$325, and the 50 1.8 about $75-90).
    edited December 29, 2010
    Yes, I'd buy used, it helps you get more out of your budget. There are risks, like no warranty. Your choice.
    Would you guys suggest the Canon 28-135 f/3.6-5.6 as a walkaround multipurpose lens?

If you don't mind 28mm (not very wide), how about a Tammy 28-75? It's 2.8 and probably better quality than that Canon 28-135. $500, a little more, but the 2.8 is worth it. Check it out.
    edited December 31, 2010
    I'm thinking the best way for me to go is to buy usedne_nau.gif Oh no I definitely don't mind the not very wide angle of the 28-135, I was planning on using this for basic walkaround, at the zoo, amusement parks, etc. and with the advantage of the image stabilizer and some extra zoom that my 18-55 can't do....Oh yes "ThatCanonGuy" I will definitely look into that Tamron 28-75 sounds like it might be better than the 28-135 in low lightthumb.gif
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    The 50 F1.8 is a very good lens. At the price point, you could buy 3 of these compared to 1 50 F1.4.
    So even if you throw your camera around, that lens can be replaced easily and without much pain.

I'll third the statement that the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 version I ( no VC ) is another good lens for the price.
    I used to have one ... until I let the wife use it. Now she has one and I don't.

As for the popular "walkaround lens" I have a couple that work very well, but not at your price point.
    I have a Canon 28-300is that takes very good shots, but the weight of it holds me back from carrying all the time.
    Another one for a crop camera is the Canon 15-85. Great lens. I keep it with when I'm out and about.
    But, it's $720, about what your budget is. So that one is out.

Starting out as you are, this is my opinion.
    Sell the kit lens, get a Tamron 17-50 without vc, get the 50 f1.8 so you have something for low light,
    and then I'd get a Canon 55-250is for those times you want more zoom. (and those times will come)

My suggestions will keep you under budget, get you two quick lenses that will work well with todays cameras
    that can be used at iso 1600 and get very good results, plus you'll have the zoo/park/outdoor lens with the 55-250.

Use these lenses for a year. After that amount of time, you'll have a great feel about what's working, and what isn't.
    At that time, figure out what part of your kit is holding you back, and replace it something more to your liking.

A lot has been said about the build quality of lenses.
    I own and have owned quite a few lenses over the past 6 or 7 years, I've taken over 100,000 shots in that time.
    I can't remember ever having a lenses failure.
    I will say that many of my lenses are "L" lenses, but I'd guess that at least a third of shots were with consumer or 3rd party glass.
    If you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Good luck in your quest for the perfect kit, I'm still trying to figure out what should be in my kit.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited January 1, 2011
    Dave has some good suggestions. Another option for the telephoto zoom is the 100-300 USM. It's really good for its price, but since Canon doesn't make it anymore, you'll have to buy it used. They go from $150-$250. I've never used the 55-250, but the 100-300 USM has really fast AF and good IQ.
    edited January 1, 2011
    +1 Dave. I also happily used the 55-250 until it became clear I was going to need 2.8 across the board (at which point I sold it for only a little less than I paid for it.). It's the telephoto equivalent of the thrifty-fifty and a great lens at the price. thumb.gif
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Hey everyone, I just got myself a new Canon Rebel T2i.wings.gif It's not a professional camera but boy is it packed with some neat features and awesome quality. I am still getting used to it and finding new things as I play around with it. I got the 18-55 kit, I was thinking of purchasing some glass for it and had my eye on two, the Canon 50mm f/1.4 and the Canon 18-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS. I need some insight from people who have actually paired the 18-135 with the T2i and used it for and extensive period of time, is it worth purchasing it to replace my kit lens? The 50mm is a no brainerrolleyes1.gif and will actually be my next purchase but I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions as to what to purchase to pair with my new camera. I have absolutely no gear at all as I got rid of my old Canon and gear to be able to afford this one, so I have to restart my kit. I do mostly portrait and landscape photography so suggestions on that field would be great. I am open to any suggestions and advice, thanks to everyone for all your helpthumb.gif

I'll agree with the 18-55IS and 55-250IS suggestions - two sharp lens for the money
    edited January 2, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    +1 Dave. I also happily used the 55-250 until it became clear I was going to need 2.8 across the board (at which point I sold it for only a little less than I paid for it.). It's the telephoto equivalent of the thrifty-fifty and a great lens at the price. thumb.gif

Thrifty-fifty. That's a new one:D I'll add it to my ever-expanding list...
    Nifty Fifty
    Fantastic Plastic
    Thrifty Fifty

And I know there are more I just can't think of them right now:D
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    You already have a lot of advice. I'll throw in my 2 cents:

--buy very little at first. (Someone else said that too.) Until you have some experience, you won't know what will be good for you. Unless you have a huge amount of money, buying lenses is a matter of tradeoffs, and you won't know for a bit what tradeoffs are most sensible for you.

--at the risk of overgeneralization, be wary of zooms with large ranges. The best-performing zooms usually have zoom factors of about 3 -- e.g., all the Canon 70-200 lenses, and the Tamron 17-50 and 28-75 f/2.8. (BTW, I have the latter, and it is a very good performer on a crop sensor camera, particularly for the price.) The next step is zoom factors of around 5 or a little more, which usually involves some price. E.g., the Canon 15-85 (not 17-85) is generally considered a very good lens, but it has some problems from the large zoom factor, such as barrel and pin-cushion distortion and vignetting. I have a copy of that arriving in the mail today, but I bought it recognizing those issues. Lenses with zoom factors larger than that often get worse reviews.

-- You mentioned that you already feel that you need some additional reach. Rather than replacing your kit lens, which is pretty good and has the short end covered, you could consider an inexpensive telephoto, such as the 55-250. Yes, you would have to change lenses now and again, but that is the point of an SLR. You mentioned an interest in the Tamron 28-75. I love my copy of this. It is superior in optical quality to the 55-250, and it will give you a faster lens. However, it overlaps a lot with the kit lens and does not go all that much longer.

I suggest you play around with your kit lens, taking the shots you most like, and see how often you (1) go shorter than 28, and (2) want something longer than 55. Depending on that, one of the two Tamrons might be a good substitute, or adding a zoom might be a better alternative. But again, practice first.
  • piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    richy wrote: »
    The 50 1.4 is a great lens for the price but suffers from copy variation quite a bit. This means you may get a great copy and you may get a dog or anywhere inbetween. Now if you get a dog canon will sort it out, but it may be a lens to buy over the counter rather than online so you can test your copy before you pay (which is what i did, but I think I lucked out). Wide open its fairly sharp in the center and dross in the edges which can be ok anyway. By 2.0 its much sharper and by 2.8-4.0 its extremely sharp (not canons sharpest but very good anyway) in the center and good in the corners.

This is the first I have heard of problems with this lens. I have one. What should I do to test mine to see if it is flawed?
    edited January 5, 2011
    paddler4 wrote: »
    You already have a lot of advice. I'll throw in my 2 cents:

--buy very little at first. (Someone else said that too.) Until you have some experience, you won't know what will be good for you. Unless you have a huge amount of money, buying lenses is a matter of tradeoffs, and you won't know for a bit what tradeoffs are most sensible for you.

--at the risk of overgeneralization, be wary of zooms with large ranges. The best-performing zooms usually have zoom factors of about 3 -- e.g., all the Canon 70-200 lenses, and the Tamron 17-50 and 28-75 f/2.8. (BTW, I have the latter, and it is a very good performer on a crop sensor camera, particularly for the price.) The next step is zoom factors of around 5 or a little more, which usually involves some price. E.g., the Canon 15-85 (not 17-85) is generally considered a very good lens, but it has some problems from the large zoom factor, such as barrel and pin-cushion distortion and vignetting. I have a copy of that arriving in the mail today, but I bought it recognizing those issues. Lenses with zoom factors larger than that often get worse reviews.

-- You mentioned that you already feel that you need some additional reach. Rather than replacing your kit lens, which is pretty good and has the short end covered, you could consider an inexpensive telephoto, such as the 55-250. Yes, you would have to change lenses now and again, but that is the point of an SLR. You mentioned an interest in the Tamron 28-75. I love my copy of this. It is superior in optical quality to the 55-250, and it will give you a faster lens. However, it overlaps a lot with the kit lens and does not go all that much longer.

I suggest you play around with your kit lens, taking the shots you most like, and see how often you (1) go shorter than 28, and (2) want something longer than 55. Depending on that, one of the two Tamrons might be a good substitute, or adding a zoom might be a better alternative. But again, practice first.

Thank you very much Paddlerthumb.gif But I was considering the Tamron 28-75 for the image quality and low light abilities as it seems like a great portrait lens on paper, and you just reinforced my thoughts with the positive comment on your own Tamron:D I did hope for a little more zoom for those unexpected occasions and was considering the Canon 28-135 over the 55-250 over the fact that the 28-135 is more flexible and would allow me to carry just one lens to say an amusement park or something of that sort, whereas the 55-250 wouldn't be wide enough to allow full body family portraits...
  • GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I have a 50D but here are my thoughts
    divamum wrote: »
    + 1 on the Tamron 17-50 - for the price, it's hard to beat!

First off +2 on the Tamron 17-50 (mine is the older non-IS version). I use it for walking around/landscape and some indoor group captures.

The 50mm is a no brainerrolleyes1.gif and will actually be my next purchase but I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions as to what to purchase to pair with my new camera. I have absolutely no gear at all as I got rid of my old Canon and gear to be able to afford this one, so I have to restart my kit. I do mostly portrait and landscape photography so suggestions on that field would be great.

Yes the 50 f/1.4 is a very nice lens and I have one - but I just do not use it very often. I recommend you set your kit lens at 50mm for a while and shoot like it was a prime.

For me the 50mm is too short portraits - (I prefer the 85 or 70-200) and too long for landscapes. So based on the areas of interest you mentioned above I am not sure that a 50mm prime is the way to go.

Andy
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
    edited January 11, 2011
    I've reached a decision after some research and almost ready to purchase, I've decided to go with the Tamron 28-75 2.8 and the Canon 50 1.8 for the moment, I picked these two for their prices as I will also be investing in a decent but economical light set-up....What do you guys think? Should I lock this deal down? Any advice or suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated:D
    edited January 11, 2011
    Lock it down, as long as you don't need the extra wideness of the Tamron 17-50. If you'd rather have the extra 25mm at the long end then go for it!