Blessings from the camera gods. :)

jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
edited December 27, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
The camera gods must be happy now that I am practicing photography again after a 10 year hiatus. Just weeks before Christmas I saw an ad posted on a pole line that says "MOVING SALE - All Items must go". Though I need to run some errands at that time I took a U-turn and followed the sign. I was in for a surprise. This guy must be a bookworm! From floor to ceiling he has this huge collection of hard to find books about cars, to history, literature, and almost everything. I saw no photography books, though. :cry However, I asked who's the owner. I introduced myself and asked him if he by any chance have some photography books "for sale". He replied: "Oh yeah, it's on the 2nd floor room to the right of the stairs." I hit the jackpot! :clap Unfortunately I only have $20.00 in my pocket. One guy took most of the other books. This is what I got and I am quite happy with them. :thumb

5297239871_2b45d7da87_b.jpg
gift from the camera gods by jiro bau, on Flickr

1. From One China To The Other - By Henri Cartier Bresson
2. Moments - The Pulitzer Prize-Winning Photographs - By Hal Buell
3. NG - Eye of the Beholder - The Photography of James L. Stanfield
4. Time Eyewitness - Collector's Edition - By Richard Lacayo and George Russell.

Lots of new things to see and learn. :barb
Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/

Comments

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Hey Jiro,

Looks like you got yourself a pretty good haul for just $20.00 I was more than a little interested to see that one of the books was by a guy named Hal Buell. That's not a real common name, but one shared by a friend of mine.

The Hal Buell I know was a much-decorated naval aviator during WWII. In fact, he is the only aviator known, either Japanese or American, to have participated in all five of the major aircraft carrier battles fought in the Pacific theater. He, also, is the author of an acclaimed book..." Dauntless Helldivers "....which is named after the two type aircraft he flew in the war. Hal is one hell of a guy and I'm real proud to call him a friend.

Just a kind of coincidence to see another book by another Hal Buell.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Hey Jiro,

Looks like you got yourself a pretty good haul for just $20.00 I was more than a little interested to see that one of the books was by a guy named Hal Buell. That's not a real common name, but one shared by a friend of mine.

The Hal Buell I know was a much-decorated naval aviator during WWII. In fact, he is the only aviator known, either Japanese or American, to have participated in all five of the major aircraft carrier battles fought in the Pacific theater. He, also, is the author of an acclaimed book..." Dauntless Helldivers "....which is named after the two type aircraft he flew in the war. Hal is one hell of a guy and I'm real proud to call him a friend.

Just a kind of coincidence to see another book by another Hal Buell.

Take care,

Tom

Tom, I think you are luckier than I am because you have an exceptional friend like Hal. Yeah, I guess I really got a pretty good deal for $20 with these very fine photography books. Henri Cartier Bressons' images are really "eye candies" for me right now. :D
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/