Very Large Array

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited December 30, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
1138866119_b7na4-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Wow! I believe you perfectly nailed this one. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif Good Job! clap.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • JoemessJoemess Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    kdog wrote: »
    1138866119_b7na4-XL-1.jpg

That is gorgeous...

I took a few minutes to look at your gallery.... Some of your images are so saturated with color, unless you have had a chance to see the desert in its full splendor you would not believe how well you nailed it!
    “Tug at a single thing in nature, and you will find it connected to the universe.
    [John Muir]
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 27, 2010
    What a cool place the VLA is.

Did you go inside as well?

I would love to see it with a summer stormy sky for a background sometime.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Very nice clap.gif

T remember our visit there just a couple years ago.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Shimon told me you guys stopped here. Very cool indeedclap.gifclap

Bring on the Bosque shots:D
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Cool shot -- I'm going to sound a little out of the loop with this question, but what are they used for?
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2010
    Wow, love this! So Crisp!
    Canon Fan
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 27, 2010
    jiro wrote: »
    Wow! I believe you perfectly nailed this one. thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif Good Job! clap.gif
    Thanks very much, Jiro. I was pleased with the way it came out.
    Joemess wrote: »
    That is gorgeous...

I took a few minutes to look at your gallery.... Some of your images are so saturated with color, unless you have had a chance to see the desert in its full splendor you would not believe how well you nailed it!
    Thanks for the nice compliment, Joemess. The desert is really a wonderful place to photograph.
    pathfinder wrote: »
    What a cool place the VLA is.

Did you go inside as well?

I would love to see it with a summer stormy sky for a background sometime.
    Hi Jim, a stormy sky would have been super. It's hard to get a good comp there because almost the entire area is restricted. (In fact, Shimon got busted for getting too close to an antennae. But I'll let him tell the story.) The only building we went inside was the visitor's center. There was absolutely nobody in there, so we did the self-guided tour. The technology and equipment is really amazing.
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Awesome! it came out great - I'll get to mine hopefully by end of week. It was really fun shooting with you buddy.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 28, 2010
    That is very cool indeed. It looks like it could use just a bit of CC rotation, but that's really a nit. I wonder if it would be possible to get a full moon shot there--what direction are we facing?
    edited December 28, 2010
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Very nice clap.gif

T remember our visit there just a couple years ago.
    Thanks, Aaron. I remember your visit there and it was part of the reason I made it a point to stop by.
    dlplumer wrote: »
    Shimon told me you guys stopped here. Very cool indeedclap.gifclap

Bring on the Bosque shots:D
    Workin' on it. naughty.gif

Dogdots wrote: »
    Cool shot -- I'm going to sound a little out of the loop with this question, but what are they used for?
    Those are very large telescopes, Mary, which are used to look at deep space objects such as galaxies, nebulae, etc. I guess celestial objects throw off radiation in the radio-wave spectrum, as well as in the visible spectrum. So these extremely sensitive antennae can see objects in the sky, much as your eye can. But because each dish is 85' across, they can see very well. The multiple dishes are arranged in a huge Y formation, and the results from all the antenna are correlated. I haven't seen a simple overview of the correlation algorithms, but from working on similar systems, I believe it allows greater sensitivity and noise reduction, as well as precise location of objects through triangulation.
    Wow, love this! So Crisp!
    Thanks! :D
    edited December 28, 2010
    Richard wrote: »
    That is very cool indeed. It looks like it could use just a bit of CC rotation, but that's really a nit. I wonder if it would be possible to get a full moon shot there--what direction are we facing?
    Richard, that's actually the weight of that large foreground dish pushing the right side of the image down a little. Besides, that front foreground train track tie is exactly horizontal, so the image must be as well. :D Ok, you got me. I'm normally a real stickler for horizons and can't believe I missed that. I did square that front railroad tie as I mentioned and probably threw the horizon off. That's facing south I believe, so a moon shot there should be very doable. Cool idea!
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Those are very large telescopes, Mary, which are used to look at deep space objects such as galaxies, nebulae, etc. I guess celestial objects throw off radiation in the radio-wave spectrum, as well as in the visible spectrum. So these extremely sensitive antennae can see objects in the sky, much as your eye can. But because each dish is 85' across, they can see very well. The multiple dishes are arranged in a huge Y formation, and the results from all the antenna are correlated. I haven't seen a simple overview of the correlation algorithms, but from working on similar systems, I believe it allows greater sensitivity and noise reduction, as well as precise location of objects through triangulation.

Neat concept of setting them all up in a Y formation. Never would of thought of it being done that way.

Would be really interesting to see photos taken with these big things.

Thank you for the information :D
    edited December 28, 2010
    Oh, I should have mentioned, here's the home page for the VLA. http://www.vla.nrao.edu/
    Images links here: http://images.nrao.edu/
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Great shot. I think I have another place to add to my places to go shooting.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    That is pretty cool. Are there no restrictions to going there?
    edited December 28, 2010
    Great shot. I think I have another place to add to my places to go shooting.
    Thanks! It's pretty much just a quick stop if you're in the area. I wouldn't make it a destination on its own.
    That is pretty cool. Are there no restrictions to going there?
    Oh yes, it's heavily restricted. You're only allowed in a few narrow areas and I don't think you can get near any of the dishes at all. At least I didn't see any place where you could. As it was, the spot I took my picture was probably slightly over the line.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited December 28, 2010

Hi Jim, It's hard to get a good comp there because almost the entire area is restricted. (In fact, Shimon got busted for getting too close to an antennae. But I'll let him tell the story.)

I am waiting with all ears to hear that story for sure.

Interesting, we got to walk all around the base of several antennae about 6 years ago dressed in motorcycle riding jackets and pants. I guess everything changes with time??

This frame was shot with in 2004 with a 10D and a 28mm lens at f4
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Nicely composed and presented!thumb.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited December 28, 2010
    sgonen wrote: »
    Awesome! it came out great - I'll get to mine hopefully by end of week. It was really fun shooting with you buddy.
    Thanks, Shimon! It was great shooting with you too. Can't wait to see your shots, especially the one you got busted taking. You know I'm just waiting to post a shot of your "arrest", don't you. rolleyes1.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Neat shot--and yours is so much better than the shots in the link!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited December 30, 2010
    pathfinder wrote: »
    I am waiting with all ears to hear that story for sure.

Interesting, we got to walk all around the base of several antennae about 6 years ago dressed in motorcycle riding jackets and pants. I guess everything changes with time??

This frame was shot with in 2004 with a 10D and a 28mm lens at f4
    Very nice. One could probably still get a comp like that with a long enough focal length. Shimon got a nice close wide-angle shot with a great perspective before he got "busted". It really wasn't a big deal. Some roustabouts just told him he was where he shouldn't be.
    NeilL wrote: »
    Nicely composed and presented!thumb.gif

Neil
    Thanks, Neil!
    redleash wrote: »
    Neat shot--and yours is so much better than the shots in the link!
    Thanks, Lauren. :D
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Howdy Joel,

What a wonderful image, love the Endless Sky and great

Composition.

Looks like a stunning place to see, not to mention shoot.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas