Victorian Style (ALY)

silvereyesilvereye Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited December 29, 2010 in People
So I am back in the swing after not being around for a while. Here is Aly, shot with a simple 3 light set and a 70MM Canon lense.Comments are always welcome.

Thanks for looking

1138113945_4pFN8-L-5.jpg

1138106499_DqkLs-L-4.jpg

1138108782_P5ncd-L-3.jpg

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    they could be interesting but the processing is killing it for me.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Qarik wrote: »
    they could be interesting but the processing is killing it for me.

I have to agree, face really blown out to the point of the nose being gone. I don't know anything about Victorian tho, maybe that is how it suppose to be?
  • WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    wolf911 wrote: »
    I have to agree, face really blown out to the point of the nose being gone. I don't know anything about Victorian tho, maybe that is how it suppose to be?

Sorry, I have to agree. I like the photos but not the processing.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    #2 & #3 are better than #1 with respect to the "blown" faces. I like them. The images themselves are worthy of tweaking!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    You have some great ideas here. The model has the shape of face that can hold the flat lighting and look exceptional. However if you were to enter these in competition there would be alot of comments about losing detail in the face. The judges see that as a killer. Otherwise they create a mood that moves the viewer.
  • silvereyesilvereye Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Check out some images on old Victorian style and you will see the look.. I understand the concerns about "Blown out" faces and all that but it was the actual intent to do so... thanks so much for the feedback though :D
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    silvereye wrote: »
    Check out some images on old Victorian style and you will see the look.. I understand the concerns about "Blown out" faces and all that but it was the actual intent to do so... thanks so much for the feedback though :D

Your intention, yes, but I guess it was also your intention that people like them?ne_nau.gif Can you insist that they should?

#1 is the most interesting to me in terms of the stronger interplay between the costuming, processing style and dynamic between areas in the composition. In the other two my eye seems required to work at raising them above what they seem submerged under.

Is 3 lights "simple"? Lucky for you!mwink.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • silvereyesilvereye Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    NeilL wrote: »
    Your intention, yes, but I guess it was also your intention that people like them?ne_nau.gif Can you insist that they should?

#1 is the most interesting to me in terms of the stronger interplay between the costuming, processing style and dynamic between areas in the composition. In the other two my eye seems required to work at raising them above what they seem submerged under.

Is 3 lights "simple"? Lucky for you!mwink.gif

Neil

Very well said... of course I can't insist people to like them, I would like to see some sort of understanding as to the overall intent behind the post of the images.. In the RAWs.. all detail is there but I felt lacked a dynamic or better yet, dramatic effect.. I am going to re-look the images and try to find a happy medium
  • wolf911wolf911 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    silvereye wrote: »

That is why I questioned it, as I am not familiar with all the various styles out there. Thanks for clarifying it. :D
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    I like the color in the first, but I think you pushed just a bit too far. It is really hard to see her nose at all as her face to too close to blown. The others have a very subtle nose that is clearly visible even with the very washed look. However, I'm not a fan of the grey skin in the second and the very pink color in the third.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site