Options

Aperture 3 freezing issue

SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
edited January 4, 2011 in Finishing School
I use Aperture 3 a lot and am generally VERY happy with it. That said, I'm finding that it freezes up a lot on me and the only way out is to CMD + Shift + Delete and start over. it's both time consuming and annoying. Is anyone else having similar issues? Any suggestions?
Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
http://www.imagesbyceci.com
http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
Picadilly, NB, Canada

Comments

• Options
    T. BombadilT. Bombadil Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    I had some problems with Aperture freezing. It was before the release of 3.1.1 (though I think subsequent to 3.1 - can't remember for sure). iSTAT MENUS (a utility that tells you things about your system) would show memory in use growing steadily until it essentially maxed out and that seemed to be when Aperture froze.

The "Repair Database" database procedure seemed to clear it up. Haven't had a freeze since then.

Can't be certain whether the update to 3.1.1 or the Repair procedure was the fix, but I would try these if I were in your shoes.

(If you aren't familiar with Repair Database, the following is from Aperture Help. There is also a "Rebuild" option, but I haven't done that with Aperture 3)

Close Aperture, if it’s open.

Locate the Aperture library you want to fix, then hold down the Command and Option keys while double-clicking the Aperture library.

In the Aperture Library First Aid dialog, do one of the following:

To repair the permissions of the files within your Aperture library: Select Repairing Permissions.
    This option should be used when Aperture can’t access some of the image files within the database or Aperture is unable to open the library itself. The Repairing Permissions option reviews each file in your Aperture library and sets the read and write access of each file where appropriate, allowing Aperture to access the files again.

Note: This option does not relocate referenced images whose master image files are offline. For more information about reconnecting offline images, see Reconnecting Missing or Offline Referenced Images.

To repair your Aperture library file: Select Repair Database.
    This is the first option you should use if you believe there is something wrong with the Aperture library other than image file access issues.
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2010
    Thanks. It's gotten to the point where I do the Repair Permissions on a regular basis and the Repair Database periodically. It does help - for a while.

I noticed it got worse when I got a new 1DMKIV camera with larger image files. I wonder if that is contributing to the issue?
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2010
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Thanks. It's gotten to the point where I do the Repair Permissions on a regular basis and the Repair Database periodically. It does help - for a while.

I noticed it got worse when I got a new 1DMKIV camera with larger image files. I wonder if that is contributing to the issue?

How much RAM do you have in the machine? If larger image files are making it more frequent, maybe a little more RAM would be helpful. I usually don't have large files (was able to borrow a more modern camera once, but usually use a Nikon D80, which is only 10 megapixel).

Are you running the latest version of OS X (10.6.5 is it? - I'm away from my machine)? And do you have Aperture 3.1.1? I would update to those asap if you haven't already (I think stability improved with those).

I once had a corrupt image file, which caused a lot of aggravation until I tracked it down. My opinion is that Repair Permissions isn't usually critical (not nearly so often as it is suggested).

Beyond that, I would look at the RAM situation. I have 6GB, which would probably be enough although when I have VMWare Fusion running is when I ran into problems (windows will take whatever resources it is permitted).
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    edited December 29, 2010
    How much RAM do you have in the machine? If larger image files are making it more frequent, maybe a little more RAM would be helpful. I usually don't have large files (was able to borrow a more modern camera once, but usually use a Nikon D80, which is only 10 megapixel).

Are you running the latest version of OS X (10.6.5 is it? - I'm away from my machine)? And do you have Aperture 3.1.1? I would update to those asap if you haven't already (I think stability improved with those).

I once had a corrupt image file, which caused a lot of aggravation until I tracked it down. My opinion is that Repair Permissions isn't usually critical (not nearly so often as it is suggested).

Beyond that, I would look at the RAM situation. I have 6GB, which would probably be enough although when I have VMWare Fusion running is when I ran into problems (windows will take whatever resources it is permitted).

Yep - it's a RAM issue. Thanks, for some reason I didn't think to look at that. My software is all up to date so the RAM size is probably the problem. Now to find a MAC store - there are none near me so I have to buy everything on-line. The search begins. Thanks.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    WachelWachel Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Buy your RAM online and save lots of money! You don't have to buy from Apple.
    Michael

<Insert some profound quote here to try and seem like a deep thinker>

Michael Wachel Photography

Facebook
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    Wachel wrote: »
    Buy your RAM online and save lots of money! You don't have to buy from Apple.

Thank you! Will do.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    I have the same problem--Ap 3 seems to frequently freeze or shut down and I can't find any pattern. It has happened at various points in my file processing, and sometimes when moving image files within the same library, to different folders, etc. It sometimes happens in the middle of an edit. I also recently added a new camera with larger file sizes, although I was having these issues before I started with the new camera. I've had more troubles with this on my Macbook Pro but also occasionally on the iMac.

Where do I look to assess the RAM situation? If I need more, how much do you think is good to add? I've never added RAM to any computer, even in my PC days. Tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Try removing Flash
    This sounds completely crazy but Aperture 3 has been wayyyyy faster, more usable and more stable on my 2008 MBP (4GB RAM) since I disabled Flash for Safari and Firefox. Try the instructions here:

http://daringfireball.net/2010/11/flash_free_and_cheating_with_google_chrome

If it doesn't help, it's easy to re-enable Flash.

I know this seems completely random but I'm falling back in love with Aperture now that I've done this and am just using Chrome for Flash-based sites. My Mac is also running way cooler (I can keep it on my lap and it doesn't get uncomfortably hot, and the fan almost never comes on).

I'm not a Flash hater but it's hard to argue with results.deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    I have the same problem--Ap 3 seems to frequently freeze or shut down and I can't find any pattern. It has happened at various points in my file processing, and sometimes when moving image files within the same library, to different folders, etc. It sometimes happens in the middle of an edit. I also recently added a new camera with larger file sizes, although I was having these issues before I started with the new camera. I've had more troubles with this on my Macbook Pro but also occasionally on the iMac.

Where do I look to assess the RAM situation? If I need more, how much do you think is good to add? I've never added RAM to any computer, even in my PC days. Tips and suggestions are appreciated.

Lauren

Not sure Lauren. If you click on the Apple symbol at the top and then "About" - you'll see memory. My iMac only has a 2GB RAM - NOT enough by a long shot. There are no MAC stores in my area but there is a good computer repair shop so I'm going to go talk to them today to see if they can help (I don't do techie stuff). My MacBookPro has a 4GB RAM and things seem fine on there - so far. Like yours, I started having problems when I got the new camera and the huge files.

Never thought about Flash affecting performance. But, I do make sure that all other software is turned off before I open up Aperture. With only a 2GB RAM the poor iMac can't multi task very well.
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Snowgirl wrote: »
    Never thought about Flash affecting performance. But, I do make sure that all other software is turned off before I open up Aperture. With only a 2GB RAM the poor iMac can't multi task very well.

I'm pretty sure that the Flash plug-in for Safari and Firefox and other browsers goes away (temporarily) if you quit all of the browsers using it.

This isn't a huge issue for computers that aren't doing processor-intensive tasks. But even if your computer isn't doing anything very processor-intensive, getting rid of the Flash plug-in appears to save energy and heat, which can translate to longer battery life and less wear and tear on your computer.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    redleash wrote: »

Lauren

I like to use a small piece of software called istat menus. It causes some monitors to appear in your menu bar (you can customize, and eliminate those that don't interest you). One of the things it can monitor is the amount of RAM in use (it will show you a small graph of memory use over time). The software can be found here:

http://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/

You can get the same info a little less conveniently by using the built-in Activity Monitor (look in your Applications folder for a folder named Utilities. In there is an application called Activity Monitor). Activity Monitor will tell you how much memory is in use, and how much is being claimed by each running application - you can sort the list of applications by memory usage if you want. This is helpful because it will show you if, for example, Safari is sucking up all sorts of resources (seems to happen to me more often than a direct problem with Aperture).
    Bruce

Chooka chooka hoo la ley
    Looka looka koo la ley
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Thanks for the info, Bruce--very helpful.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com