Nikon P7000 ?

Daddy0Daddy0 Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
edited December 31, 2010 in Cameras
Does anybody have one of these and/or what do you think of it? I would like to stick with the Nikon line and I would like to have a pocket camera to take with me everywhere. I can't count the number of times "the shot" just pops up out of nowhere with no camera close by. If not this one, what do you guys recommend?:D
Jimmie D.
www.focusedonyourmemories.com

What you see depends on what you're looking for.

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 28, 2010
    I got a P7000 in November and so far, I love it. Keep in mind, it won't fit in your shirt pocket. The fit and finish is good and I find the controls are easy to use. The built in flash is a joke that's only good for about 8 feet or so. There is a huge hot spot in the center with the light falling off around the edges. Here are a few samples of shots taken with my P7000. They are right out of the camera...no post processing.

1093719062_wkLQf-M.jpg

1104377143_Ak7gb-M.jpg

1106179587_K4Etw-M.jpg

1121606505_vdhMo-M-1.jpg
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Have you considered a micro 4/3 camera, such as the Olympus E-PL1 or a Panasonic GF1 or GF2? They are both small(er) sizes, and with a pancake, will fit in a larger pocket (they take interchangeable lenses). They have 2x crop sensors (the same size as the ones used in Olympus' DSLRs) and take great pics. I have an E-PL1 and love it. It has a stabilized body and is a low-light champ when combined with a fast pancake such as the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. (The lens lineup is pretty decent and growing.) I take mine with me most places I go with a Luma LoopIt. It's very convenient and you-and others-hardly know it's there.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    Why do you want to stick with Nikon? I'm not saying this because I'm a Canonite, I'll be the first to tell you the D3s beats the 1DIV. But does it matter with P&S's? Unless you like Nikon's RAW files.... I'm not saying don't get a Nikon, just saying that if you'd consider other brands you'd have a bigger selection.
    Check out this review...
    http://www.bythom.com/compactHQ1.htm
    edited December 28, 2010
    Oh I forgot to mention that Nikon has issued a firmware update for the P7000. The new version is 1.1 and according to Nikon, covers these issues:

• Image recording time at image quality settings that include NRW (RAW) has been reduced.
    • Lens control has been optimized to reduce the frequency with which the “Initializing lens. Cannot focus.” message is displayed.
    • An issue that, in some rare cases, prevented zoom operation has been resolved.
    • An issue that caused the monitor display to exhibit a loss of detail in highlights (blown highlights) when the shutter-release button was pressed halfway with Active D-Lighting enabled has been resolved.
  • Daddy0Daddy0 Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Have you considered a micro 4/3 camera, such as the Olympus E-PL1 or a Panasonic GF1 or GF2? They are both small(er) sizes, and with a pancake, will fit in a larger pocket (they take interchangeable lenses). They have 2x crop sensors (the same size as the ones used in Olympus' DSLRs) and take great pics. I have an E-PL1 and love it. It has a stabilized body and is a low-light champ when combined with a fast pancake such as the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7. (The lens lineup is pretty decent and growing.) I take mine with me most places I go with a Luma LoopIt. It's very convenient and you-and others-hardly know it's there.

Sorry about taking so long to reply, but I've been busy at work trying to get year-end reports, etc done and the kids have been staying up too late to get on the computer when they pass out.

Anyways, I have been looking at the Panasonic GF's. I have seen pics from several very good photographers that use the GF's and it is remarkable what that little camera can do.

I looked at the P7000 originally because I have a D90 now and was curious as to how the P7000 stacked up to the competition.

I would like for this camera to last for several years, so I want to get the most bang for my buck now. Problem I have is that I am such a gadget geek, I will be wanting to upgrade in a couple of years just like I want to upgrade to a D700, D300 or D3 now(one of each preferably).

Whichever I get, I would like to be able to shoot in Raw format and I would like the camera to be pretty good at shooting low-light photos.

Thanks for the input. I guess I just need to get my hands on some examples of each and try them out:D
    Jimmie D.
    www.focusedonyourmemories.com

What you see depends on what you're looking for.
  • aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Daddy0 wrote: »

Anyways, I have been looking at the Panasonic GF's. I have seen pics from several very good photographers that use the GF's and it is remarkable what that little camera can do...

I would like for this camera to last for several years, so I want to get the most bang for my buck now. Problem I have is that I am such a gadget geek, I will be wanting to upgrade in a couple of years just like I want to upgrade to a D700, D300 or D3 now(one of each preferably).

Whichever I get, I would like to be able to shoot in Raw format and I would like the camera to be pretty good at shooting low-light photos.

Thanks for the input. I guess I just need to get my hands on some examples of each and try them out:D

This review: http://craigmod.com/journal/gf1-fieldtest/ convinced me to get a m4/3 camera. I am so glad I did...it's an amazing, fun tool and it takes a lot more pictures than my DSLR does-because it's with me a lot more. I'm sort of rediscovering photography through this tool, and man, I forgot how much fun it can be!

I think the beauty of the GF1 and the other m4/3 cameras is that you can upgrade the body and still use your existing m4/3 lenses, or most any legacy lenses you can think of with the proper adapter. At least one of the growing number of native lenses-the 20mm f/1.7 pancake-is a gem.

As far as the technical requirements you mentioned, I typically shoot in RAW + JPEG on my little E-PL1, and like I said in my previous post, the 20mm combined with the E-PL1's IBIS make for a great low-light combo.

People rave about the GF1, it is sort of an instant classic with many of the m4/3 crowd, and as it has been phased out for a newer model, it can be had CHEAP right now-$300 for the body from Amazon.

Anyway, I love my E-PL1 (can you tell? rolleyes1.gif) and would recommend that anyone who has technical proficiency with a DSLR who also wants something smaller seriously consider a m4/3.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    I bought my son an Oly its waterproof to 10 ft and shock resistant, of course he wount let me see any pics he takes with it.

waterproof sounds like a great feature to have in a P&S.

Happy Hunting
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
    edited December 30, 2010
    time2smile wrote: »
    I bought my son an Oly its waterproof to 10 ft and shock resistant, of course he wount let me see any pics he takes with it.

waterproof sounds like a great feature to have in a P&S.

Happy Hunting

The G12 and P7000 are a bit more than a point & shoot. They can be set up as a P&S camera w/everything in auto but then why spend the $$ if all you really need is a $179 Best Buy Special.
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010