Question about shipping by B&H

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited January 4, 2011 in Cameras
:barb:barb

A friend of my dad is coming from USA, and i am planning to get 70-200 2.8 L IS mark 2!. The package should reach him before 9th January. my question: if i place order on 2nd or 3rd Jan will it reach before 9th to address in Michigan? i saw there are various shipping options i may go for next day shipping option if these really work.

I hope stocks don't run out, current rebate is awesome need to take advantage of that!

And i wonder if Quality control of canon has improved or not, just cannot afford to receive wrong piece in far away land:D.
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    It should reach there no problem...usually. Right now there is heavy snowstorm in NYC (where BH is) so a lot of flights have been cancelled. I should think by Jan 2nd everything should be running on time again.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    In my experience, all the major online retailers are reliable when it comes to delivery dates. Just remember that overnight delivery does not include weekends or holidays, and if you place your order too late in the afternoon (by the seller's local time) it may not get shipped until the next business day.

I don't know if B&H or other American retailers will be open on Monday January 3, since New Year's Day falls on the weekend. If you put in an order on the morning of Tuesday January 4 with delivery by UPS Next Day Delivery or FedEx Overnight, I would expect it to arrive on January 5, assuming the item is in stock.

Qarik makes a good point about current weather conditions, though.

I've never had a problem with Canon's quality control, but I suppose not everyone is that fortunate.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 28, 2010
    Between the weather problems out east and the New Year holiday you need to allow as much time as possible. I would set up a backup plan just in case the package is late in delivery.

I doubt if a USA warranty will work for your region of the world so be aware of that for your purchase.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    For me I've found that B&H always ships on the day you order, as long as you place the order by about 2:00PM NY time. If you place an order on the Saturday or Sunday it won't go on a UPS truck until Monday. And because of the holiday if you order this weekend it won't go on a UPS truck until Tuesday.

I've also found that with next day UPS, even when UPS messes up, it comes within two days. If it takes more than one day to arrive you get your shipping costs back.

So for next or 2nd day shipping I don't see you having a problem getting it to Michigan by Jan 9th. Make sure that where ever you are having it shipped there is someone to sign for it when it arrives... B&H will ship that lens with signature required.

As far as weather goes you not only have the watch the weather in NY (which looks to be fine for the next week or so) you have to watch the weather in Kentucky too because all UPS flights go through there... which looks for for the next week too.

The pictures you are taking with the lenses you already have are amazing! I can't even imagine what you will do with the 70-200MkII. thumb.gifthumb
    wings.gifbarb

A friend of my dad is coming from USA, and i am planning to get 70-200 2.8 L IS mark 2!. The package should reach him before 9th January. my question: if i place order on 2nd or 3rd Jan will it reach before 9th to address in Michigan? i saw there are various shipping options i may go for next day shipping option if these really work.

I hope stocks don't run out, current rebate is awesome need to take advantage of that!

And i wonder if Quality control of canon has improved or not, just cannot afford to receive wrong piece in far away land:D.
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2010
    wings.gifbarb

AWAIS, DO IT! DO IT!! Definitely do a faster shipping option if he goes before the 9th! I would place the order right now, if he is at that place so he will definitely have it by the time he goes! Can't wait to see what you do with this beast!

And if you worry about QC, I will test it for you. ;)
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Thanks guys for valuable information!

Ted, i hope it was possible in this short time, now i think i should pray for good copy of bad boy :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    FYI, Every time I order from B&H package usually is here in 2 days and I'm guessing it would be the same for MI, well, depending on where in MI.. Ground UPS always says 3 days but makes it here in 2. That being said, I agree with the crappy weather on the east coast if you want to make sure it's there, opt for a low cost 2 day shipping. That way you'll be sure it makes it there..
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    I usually opt for 2nd day shipping. Not quite as expensive as 1 day, but you get it in a reasonable time. I've had free shipping take up to 2 weeks - no thanks.
    - Bill
    edited December 29, 2010
    Thanks guys, just placed the order... i hope it arrives safe to new home :)

My Gallery
    edited December 29, 2010
    Thanks guys, just placed the order... i hope it arrives safe to new home :)

I hope you put my address in right! :D
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited January 3, 2011
    LoL Guys i am too close to my package yet tooo far.... both attempts by UPS failed to find anyone to receive the package at destination, today is going to be 3rd and last attempt. I read packages are sent back to b&h if no one receives on 3rd attempt. Wanted to know if it possible for UPS to keep it at their store for pickup? BH website says no re-routing or pickups available from UPS. I have asked dad's friend to call UPS and make whatever arrangements that suits him.

praying and hoping for the best :D

My Gallery
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    A few years ago UPS made a big deal about how you can re-route packages in their system on the fly, but only the shipper can re-route a UPS package. My guess is that B&H has no way of knowing that the person requesting the re-route is not just scamming them... that's a pretty expensive lens.

http://www.ups.com/deliveryintercept?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=reroute&WT.svl=SRCH

LoL Guys i am too close to my package yet tooo far.... both attempts by UPS failed to find anyone to receive the package at destination, today is going to be 3rd and last attempt. I read packages are sent back to b&h if no one receives on 3rd attempt. Wanted to know if it possible for UPS to keep it at their store for pickup? BH website says no re-routing or pickups available from UPS. I have asked dad's friend to call UPS and make whatever arrangements that suits him.

edited January 4, 2011

Nooo!

If he has the missed delivery slip, he can call the UPS location that it will go back to to pick it up in person. I don't know if BnH has a special request with UPS/Fedex on holding items.

..should have sent it to me, man! [translation- I hope it makes to you in time.]
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com