Dgrin quiz- what caused this effect?

JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
edited January 1, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Anyone have any idea what caused this effect in my pictures?

I have to go get stuck in a couple of feet of mud now, but I'll come back tonight! Thanks for playing.
1)- zoom
1140502201_svGEX-M.jpg
2)
1140502776_HeGKK-M.jpg
Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.

Comments

• helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Looks kind of like scratches to me, either on the lens or, if you used a filter, on the filter. It doesn't really look like lens flare, so I would say hae to say it's scratches somwhere on your lens/filter.
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Agree it does look like scratches. Is it a repeating pattern in all the photos?
    Would probably never show up under normal lighting conditions.
  • konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Add me to the lens/filter camp - the same patterns appear in both pictures. Not sure whether it's scratches or something on the lens or filter. Looks like an artifact from cleaning - either smearing something, or rubbing grit around.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Ditto on the scratches. My guess is the front element may have been incorrectly wiped at some point, and the coating's been scratched. Also guessing the shot was taken with a very small aperature, which helped make the scratches more visible.

Otherwise.........a very scary set of spider web remains flapping in the breeze. eek7.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Hint-

1140519457_msaFL-M.jpg

these guys see it too.. I'm hard on my gear-but not that hard-not scratches
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 29, 2010
    Giant flying spiders? mwink.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    can't be scratches on the front element or filter..you would never see them so defined/clear. haha..they do look like spider webs
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Is it a time exposure.....Maybe something flying around a light...
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    When do we get the answer headscratch.gif
  • CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Spider web on the cable.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    They look like scratches to me, too, but they can't be on the front element or filter, because they don't occupy the same spot relative to the edges of the frame.

They seem to be consistent in size relative to the tower, leading me to wonder if they are not a photographic remnant or a lighting effect, but an actual physical object in behind the tower.

They're behind the tower. How far is not clear, but the size of the tower means that the tower is at least 50' from the lens, so the objects have to be at least that far away - meaning they're quite large.

In the hint pic, the two guys are standing behind the tower, and are still looking off to some distance, but judging by the angle of their heads relative to the tower, it kinda looks like the objects are close; say, closer than the far edge of the field.

I'm at a loss. I can think of a few things it might be, but none of them seem likely - cloud formation, aircraft contrails, balloon strings, insect swarm, windborne plant fibers (quite likely since the tower is part of some kind of harvesting machine)... But I'm at a loss.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited December 29, 2010
    aj986s wrote: »
    Otherwise.........a very scary set of spider web remains flapping in the breeze. eek7.gif
    Richard wrote: »
    Giant flying spiders? mwink.gif
    Qarik wrote: »
    haha..they do look like spider webs
    Cuong wrote: »
    Spider web on the cable.

ding ding ding
    Dogdots wrote: »
    When do we get the answer headscratch.gif
    Now! It's been a busy day in the field.

You guys are smart. This is gossamer. Apparently the original source of the word. Ballooning spiders- some big migration. The air was filled with spider silk, fairly high in the sky, it wasn't just floating around at eye level or tree level, it was pretty high, and pervasive.

Here is a shot earlier in the day with my p&s, unfortunately my hands were too dirty to even think about touching my bigger camera until later in the day when the threads had begun to bunch together and festoon everything. I couldn't really capture it with the camera, but early on it looked like Fresnel lens in front of the sun.

1141121255_hQTqp-S.jpg

another shot- you couldn't see these lines festooning the rig wire unless they were backlit- so the two drillers couldn't actually see the ones on the wire. And I didn't see the ones apparently attaching to my lens while I was shooting. headscratch.gif
    -with the big camera.

1140520710_tre5n-L.jpg
    Definitely one the harder things I have ever tried to capture (almost typed 'on film')

The after effects. I had spider lines all over me. I found at least a couple of spiders on my hotel bed after dumping all clothes on the bed.
    1140525019_EpjbX-S.jpg
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited December 30, 2010
    Holy s*#t, I thought I was kidding. rolleyes1.gif
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Wow! Nature is always gonna one-up us meager humans. rolleyes1.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    wow that was something Ive never seen nor will ever see great catch and set of pics
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    That's really cool. Would of loved to of seen it in person. Never heard of this before.
    edited January 1, 2011
    Thanks all- I'd heard of this phenomenon, but I'd never seen it. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. I just wish I'd been able to get a shot that better served the reality. It was almost worth all the creepy crawly feelings I was stuck with all afternoon. We had spiders all over.