Sony A55 - Any Users ?

NoCountMuleNoCountMule Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited January 15, 2011 in Cameras
I notice that there is no discussions on the Sony cameras. Just wandering why. I have a A100 that I love but want to upgrade. Should I look toward Canon/Nikon instead ?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 29, 2010
    I notice that there is no discussions on the Sony cameras. Just wandering why. I have a A100 that I love but want to upgrade. Should I look toward Canon/Nikon instead ?

What is it you are hoping to accomplish with the upgrade?

What type of photography do you do?

What type of photography do you "want" to do?

How vested are you in Sony lenses and accessories?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NoCountMuleNoCountMule Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 29, 2010
    Sorry Ziggy, I knew as soon as I posted I should have been more specific. I love finding a picture in everything I see. Don't know why ,I just do.I'm not anywhere near the photographer that most all you folks on here are I'm sure but, I'm trying to learn. My budget is pretty limited. I have a 50mm 1.8 , 18-70mm 3.5-5.6 and a 75-300 4.5-5.6 . I can get pretty good pics out these but I want to be able to do some indoor sports and other action shots. Wildlife is my favorite subject and I enjoy landscapes. Mabey I just need another lens ? Thanks for the reply Ziggy !
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    I'd get more lenses first.... It's the same with all brands, good glass is more important than good bodies. You have a good body, and yes, the A55 translucent mirror is cool, and probably useful, but is it going to help you take better photos? Perhaps, in a few cases. Is using that money on a new lens going to help you take better photos? Yes, definitely. And quite a bit more often than the A55 would. It's up to you, I'm just saying you have a good body, get some really good lenses.
  • davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Welcome
    wings.gifWhile its true there are not a lot of Sony users writing on these boards, there are still many current and former users on the forums, as well as some really good photographers. I have 2 @900's, but I have to agree with the previous poster, essentially good glass is forever, and bodies come and go. If you get the really good glass, your pictures will improve right away, and as the years go on, and the bodies come and go, the better bodies will make your good glass even more productive. thumb.gif
    Dave
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 29, 2010
    Sports/action and moving wildlife (specifically birds in flight) are among the most difficult types of photography and generally require the very best lenses and bodies for consistent accuracy and quality.

A better lens is definitely a good start and you really can counter the inconsistencies of an entry level body by just taking more photos. You will be rewarded with more "keepers" just by increasing the captures.

You can try renting a sports or wildlife lens to determine its suitability before purchasing your own copy.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ValderValder Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    OK I'm going to be one to say go with the A55. The 50/1.7 you have is a good lens and the 75-300 either the Big Beercan or the newer model is
    the same glass and stopped down decent glass. So with the improvement in the ISO capabilities of the A55 over the A100 you will be able to stop
    the lens down more to f8 or 11 where the lens is best and still get sharp pics with less noise. The new kit lens on the A55 is also a better kit lens
    than the 18-70 you have so there is an improvement.

I know you said indoor sports, but the AF on the A100 is not all that great for that so even if you bought a Sigma 70-200/2.8 you might still be
    fighting the camera for action shots.
    edited December 30, 2010
    Thanks everbody ! You folks are more helpful than you know.
  • HawkinsHawkins Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Valder wrote: »
    OK I'm going to be one to say go with the A55. The 50/1.7 you have is a good lens and the 75-300 either the Big Beercan or the newer model is
    the same glass and stopped down decent glass. So with the improvement in the ISO capabilities of the A55 over the A100 you will be able to stop
    the lens down more to f8 or 11 where the lens is best and still get sharp pics with less noise. The new kit lens on the A55 is also a better kit lens
    than the 18-70 you have so there is an improvement.

I know you said indoor sports, but the AF on the A100 is not all that great for that so even if you bought a Sigma 70-200/2.8 you might still be
    fighting the camera for action shots.

I second that, especially when you can get used to the EVF of A55.

Sony has just improved its cameras' ISO and focusing capability. And the kit lens of A55 is superb.
    Nikon D3s, N14-24, N24-70, N70-200 VR II
    PC-E 24, SB-700, SB-600, Sony A55, TC-20E III
    Sigma 500mm f4.5, Gitzo GT3530LS+GH2780QR
    edited December 31, 2010
    A55 + 18-55 SAM kit lens.
    edited December 31, 2010
    A55 + 18-55 kit lens.
    edited January 1, 2011
    Wow ! Thanks Hawkins. Very crisp and clean pics.
  • Silver ThunderbirdSilver Thunderbird Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 1, 2011
    Nice to see other Sony shooters here! I was lucky enough this holiday season to invest in my main hobby, and upgrading from my trusty A100 was first on my list. I was a Minolta shooter back in the film days, so there was little chance I'd jump to Cannikon. I really wanted to go full-frame with either the A900 or A850, but I also debated the cost of Zeiss glass to upgrade from my legacy Minolta lenses.

Long story short, I decided to wait for a future full-frame Sony with improved high ISO performance, but spent roughly the same money combined for a A580 and Sony 70-200 G. I haven't regretted the decision so far. The lens is wonderful, and I even sold my 70-210 Beercan after receiving it. And I loved that lens. I can only hope that the G lens gives me as many years of good service as the Beercan. Glass trumps body.
  • WaterfallRichWaterfallRich Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    I have an a55 - shoot landscapes mostly
    Wanted to upgrade from the Sony R1 to a DSLR with video - tired of carrying both camera and camcorder. Waited to see what Sony was going to come out with and decided on the a55 after also looking at Canon and Nikon. Didn't have any glass, so switching camera brands wasn't a problem. Ordered the CZ16-80 and Sony 70-300G to go with the body and have the Tokina 11-16 on the way. Been really pleased so far.

Some pictures can be seen at this link starting on page 34 near the top.
    http://www.pbase.com/waterfallrich/2010

This is kind of a picture blog I keep to compliment my main web site, so I post good, bad, and ugly pictures. Also have posted some videos taken with the camera. Here are a couple, but if you go to my main YouTube page you can see a few more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xgvuXECB9w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RtjnQu_oE
  • m a r km a r k Registered Users Posts: 8 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    I have recently upgraded from an a100 to an a55.

I was prompted to upgrade after two very different yet disappointing days out.

The first was a trip out to a place called The Deep in Hull in the UK. Essentially a huge aquarium that you walk through. Very dark with lots of glass.

Simply put, whilst the a100 did OK, I found that the high ISO capability was lacking and left me disappointed.

The following weekend a trip out to some local woods with my family saw me trying to take some photos of my son hiding amongst the trees etc. Very little contrast so the auto focus really struggled and the camera just felt very slow.

These 2 events made me question if it was time to upgrade especially as I had owned my a100 for 4 years.

Having now made the switch, I am confident that the new camera in the situations above would have not had a problem.

My next move is to review the hotch potch of glass I have.

I love my Tamron 18-250 which makes an awesome walkabout lens. On the a100 it was always a bit slow on focus but on the a55 it is transformed. My 50mm 1.7 will always have a place in my kit bag. The kit lens however I am torn.

Optically it is good. But it feels cheap and isn't very smooth when zooming etc. As such, it has seen little or no use since I got the camera.

If you can afford it, the a55 has a lot going for it and don't forget there is an a33 as well but don't dismiss the a100. I have captured some amazing images with mine over the last 4 years.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    Or save up for the A77mwink.gif Seriously, isn't there suppposed to be one soon? Not saying wait to buy a camera, I'm sure the A55 is excellent.
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Not an owner
    But I'll join those voices saying "go for it".... Why? Well Sony really have got their act together on the sensor side of late (see the Nikon D7000 and Pentax K5 which probably have the same sensor). So, with the A55, not only do you get superior sensor and a greatly updated imaging system over your A100, but you also get this in a smaller body with a big, bright EVF that for many* is nicer to look through than the small OVF of low end DSLRs. If it wasn't for my new year resolution to be less profligate with cash, I'd have one out of curiosity already :D.

Like them or loathe them (I'm undecided), I think Sony is only going to get bigger and better in the digital imaging business (especially at the pro end which perhaps they didn't fully understand at the start) so unless you need specific capabilities of the CaNikon systems (i.e. lenses Sony just doesn't cover), I don't see a reason to move systems if you already have a small investment.