Beginner DSLR question.

oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
edited December 30, 2010 in Cameras
I'm new here, and to DSLRs. I've gotten thousands of wonderfull pics out of my Canon A610 p&s but I'm ready to move on to a camera more "engaging" and get more serious about my photography. One of the features of my 610 I've found helpfull in learning about aperture and exposure is the way it behaves in Manual mode:

On my 610, if I set my aperture to say f2.8, then move up or down through the exposure speeds, the camera adjusts the light on the lcd view to give what I assume is an approximation of the amount of light that the final picture will have. For a newb I have found this a life saver. I don't know if I would want to live without this feature just yet. I'm not quite sure what the terminology for this is either.

So....do DSLRs do this as well? Or do you just guess, shoot, preview, etc. I'm looking at cameras like the D3100, T2i, E620. Any help would be much appreciated.

Here's something to look at while you ponder my question. An HDR shot (free Photomatix trial version) taken with the A610 of a coworkers stall. Packrat?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited December 29, 2010
    Modern dSLR cameras have very sophisticated exposure systems and you can choose to allow the camera to control exposure or you can have some control of the camera (for instance where you set the aperture and let the camera choose the shutter speed) or you can set the exposure in purely manual mode giving you full control, and full responsibility. You can generally also set an exposure bias (darker or lighter than the measured exposure). You can also control the extent of flash contribution compared to ambient light.

It's an awesome amount of control and it can take a lifetime (or longer) to master.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    That feature is known as ExpSim LV (Exposure Simulation Live View) and I'm not sure if all DSLRs have it. I know some Canons do. I'd go Canon or Nikon, they have the most extensive systems... that's the whole reason you buy a DSLR, for the system.
    Read this.
    http://www.bythom.com/iceberg.htm
  • oldovaloldoval Registered Users Posts: 456 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2010
    Canon guy, thanks......ExpSim LV Exposure Simulation. Now I know what it's called.

My little Canon has quite a few features for such an inexpensive model: Tv, Av modes as well as full manual mode and exsposure compensation. I find this "ExpSim LV" has really sped up my leaning curve. I can see what I'm doing with my adjustments before I even take the picture.

Thanks for the link as well.
    edited December 29, 2010
    No problem thumb.gif

I like that feature, I wish my 1D2 had it, but it's an old camera, released before they started putting it on DSLRs:cry
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Can't say I have seen a similar feature on Canon dSLRs. BUT, on the other hand...its digital, so just take the shot, nothing to lose. Then, look at the LCD, view the image you just took, examine the histogram, and then adjust. Repeat as necessary.

Don't forget that a dSLR sensor has tons more sensitivity than does a PnS, so you can generally get a wide range of post processing exposure changes also.

EDIT: I am incorrect. It seems the Canon 60D at least has something called "Exposure Simulation" in its Live View Mode.
    edited December 30, 2010
    I know the 5DII has it.
    edited December 30, 2010
    If you're looking at the T2i, it says in the specs that yes, in live view you do have an exposure simulation option. I just found it by googling "canon t2i exposure simulation."
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    I did a little poking around, and found that both the 40D and 50D also have live view exposure simulation. As that Canon guy known as ThatCanonGuy pointed out, the T2i also has it, which leads me to believe that Canon will be including it as a standard feature on all of their DSLRs with live view from now on.

If you're interested in the T2i, here is a link to Canon's page of downloads for it, where you can find the camera's operating manual in PDF format. I sometimes find it helpful to look at the actual manual for something before I buy it, so I get an idea of exactly how it will work.
    Canon EOS T2i Brochures and Manuals page
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
    edited December 30, 2010
    Excellent, thanks for all the info guys. It looks like I may want to stay in the Canon family then......although I see cmason's point about just taking the shot and then reviewing it on the LCD. Nothing to lose really.

The T2i has been at the top of my list for a body but also at the high end of my price scale. It's higher price will cut into my accessoreies budget for sure. EOS XS maybe?
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    It seems to me that Olympus does as well since when I use live view to compose, I see the exposure adjustments in the screen when I make them. I use the screen quite a bit because it tilts and swivels and saves my aching back a lot.
    edited December 30, 2010
    The T2i has been at the top of my list for a body but also at the high end of my price scale. It's higher price will cut into my accessoreies budget for sure. EOS XS maybe?
    NO. The XS is different from all other Rebels. During the XSi generation, Canon introduced the XS as a cheaper, stripped-down version of the XSi. It made sense for people stepping up from p&s's. It wasn't as good as the XSi, but for its intended market, that was okay. But now, they're both about the same price (under $350).
    So how about an XSi? It has ExpSim LV.
    edited December 30, 2010
    Canon guy.....that's interesting. I hadn't noticed the "i" before. Looks like they dropped the "i" to make the newer "XS" and changed the camera significantly in the process. B&H shows the XSi discontinued but looks like some places still have them.

Your right Wicked Dark.... it looks like the Oly E-620 I've been looking at has a Live Preview which can be asigned to one of the buttons. Choices, choices.

You folks are proving invaluable, thank you.
  • helloyo53helloyo53 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    The exposure simulation live view is actually a pretty nifty feature. I have the 500D (T1i) and it's on there too. It's very useful, especially since I don't have to take as much test shots to see if I need to make the shutter speed faster or slower. Not exactly sure if the XSi has it. I know it has Live View, just not sure about the exposure simulation.
    -Brandon

Flickr
    My Gear