Options

Photovoice

aquaticvideographeraquaticvideographer Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
edited December 29, 2010 in The Big Picture
I came across something interesting and I thought I'd seen if any DGrinners have experience with it. This is a little different, bear with me please...

A local university is holding a symposium on the use of the Photovoice technique/methodology in some of their research. I'm planning on going to find out more, but I was wondering if anyone here had ever helped out with a project that uses Photovoice. If you have, I'd be curious to hear about your experience.

I was completely unfamiliar with the term "Photovoice" when I was emailed the flyer for this symposium. So for others who may not have heard of it, it's a participatory action research methodology, where people are given cameras to document various aspects of their lives (typically in the context of some project of social change). To quote one of the articles I found and read,

"Photovoice is a process by which people can identify, represent and enhance their community through a specific photographic technique."
(link/citation here: http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/2027.42/67790/2/10.1177_109019819702400309.pdf)

I'm in the process of doing more research on Photovoice to see what I can learn, but it's interesting enough that I thought people here might be interested, too.

If anyone is or will be in the Portland, Oregon region and wants more info about the symposium, I'm happy to email you what I got. Just PM me with your email. Forgot to add, the time/date of the symposium is January 26, 2011, 12-1pm @ PSU.