OnOne's new Resize and Photoshop

r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
edited February 16, 2011 in Finishing School
I am having a heck of a time with the new Resize (old Genuine Fractals) in Photoshop on Windows 7, 64 bit. It works fine until I click on apply and then it crashes Photoshop. I am running on an Asus PC with 8 Gb of Ram. I have a ticket in OnOne tech support, but nothing they suggest has worked. I have reloaded everything including Suite 5.5, Photoshop and even have done a Windows restore. I have tested my RAM. My next step is to revert back to the previous version on the suite before they went "Perfect". I have to use Resize (Fractals) all the time and am SOL right now.

It also does the same when stand alone. At one time in my troubleshooting it worked in 32bit, but some change I made has created the problem in both versions now. As far as I can see all other Suite 5.5 plugins work OK.

It's probably something really stupid I'm doing. I'm stumped.

Comments

• Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    If you go to Windwos Control Panel->Adminstrative Tools->Event Log there my be entries in the application log that will give you some clues as to what happened.
    r9jackson wrote: »
    I am having a heck of a time with the new Resize (old Genuine Fractals) in Photoshop on Windows 7, 64 bit
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    So the previous version is working fine.........I have used GF since GF3. and I have never had a prob with an upgrade, glad I did not upgrade yet.....but I feel my GF is fine and no need to upgrade right now.....please do keep us informed......one reason I did not jump on the upgrade was I did not like them renaming it.......I am now wondering what happened to pxl smartscale and Liquid resize....hmm (all Onone software)
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    If you go to Windwos Control Panel->Adminstrative Tools->Event Log there my be entries in the application log that will give you some clues as to what happened.
    Dan, Thanks
    I have checked the Event log. Here is the relevant part:
    Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 12/30/2010 1:19:51 AM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: RandyASUS-PC
    Description:
    Faulting application name: Photoshop.exe, version: 12.0.3.0, time stamp: 0x4d035d7d
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16559, time stamp: 0x4ba9b802
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000c6df2
    Faulting process id: 0x754
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cba7f9d25e34e4
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 92a68ad7-13ed-11e0-8085-e0cb4ed5a7cd
    I have reloaded most everything now and will now check permissions (maybe something wrong there). Let me know if you see any clues in the log. I am about ready to take Arts advice and revert back to the older version (pays me right for upgrading before version 1.1).
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    This error indicates that the stack is corrupt. The stack is part of program used to move values from one place to another. It's a very generic error.

The error is occuring in ntdll.dll, which is a component of Windows. That doesn't mean there is a problem with Windows. The most likely culprit is that the Photoshop plugin is passing a bogus value around, which eventually corrupts the stack. The only people who can fix this is company that made the plugin. You should pass this info on to them. It won't help them all that much to figure out what the problem is, but at least it will let them know that they have something to fix.

r9jackson wrote: »
    Dan, Thanks
    I have checked the Event log. Here is the relevant part:
    I have reloaded most everything now and will now check permissions (maybe something wrong there). Let me know if you see any clues in the log. I am about ready to take Arts advice and revert back to the older version (pays me right for upgrading before version 1.1).
  • falyniiifalyniii Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 17, 2011
    had the SAME PROBLEM!!!
    that issue drove me crazy... but after days of messing around found a work around.

I reinstalled perfect resize but this time in (x86) photoshop folder. It will stilll appear as though the application doesn't work. Now heres the KEY! I go to C:\Program Files (x86)\onOne Software\Perfect Resize 7 Professional Edition and click on the Perfect resize (application) file. Then edit away!wings.gif
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2011
    Was just now reading this thread and would have suggested you have some x64 vs. x86 program incompatibilities going on. I often have troubles with some plugins when running 64-bit CS5 and calling out to a 32-bit plug-in.

Hopefully falyniii's work around will take care of your problem. If not, I hate to suggest this, but uninstall most of your stuff and reinstall paying close attention to which version (64 bit vs. 32 bit) you're installing.
  • r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2011
    OnOne Software problem fixed
    Updating this thread with good news. OnOne customer support rocks and found a solution to the problem. They did have to update the code in their suite of products. They sent me a beta version last week to test and it worked-no more Photoshop crashes. The have released the fixes to the world now.

Thanks to all you dgrinners for the ideas-you were right in thinking it was in the code. And a big thanks to OnOne Software for sticking with it to solve a random error in just one of installations. I've been in this business (computer software) long enough to know the random presenting problems are the hardest to find and fix.

OnOne's suite of products is indispensable to my photo work flow.