Options

Adobe CS5

Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
edited January 9, 2011 in Finishing School
I want to get Adobe CS5 for Windows and would buy a used copy or as a friend suggested a educator or student copy.
If anyone has one to sell please contact me by PM or Email.

Frankly I'm not sure if I will even like the program so I'm trying to save a few bucks rather than buying a new copy. :thumb

Thanks and if this is posted in the wrong forum I apologize but I could not find another it seemed to fit into.

Spinner

Comments

• Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    If you are not sure you will like Photoshop go to the http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/whatisphotoshop/ and download a trial version. All features in work the same a purchased version, but only for 30 days.

I want to get Adobe CS5 for Windows and would buy a used copy or as a friend suggested a educator or student copy.

Frankly I'm not sure if I will even like the program so I'm trying to save a few bucks rather than buying a new copy. thumb.gif

Thanks and if this is posted in the wrong forum I apologize but I could not find another it seemed to fit into.

Spinner
  • Options
    jtalericojtalerico Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited December 30, 2010

Frankly I'm not sure if I will even like the program so I'm trying to save a few bucks rather than buying a new copy. thumb.gif

Spinner

Students cannot re-sale the product.
  • Options
    Spinner of TalesSpinner of Tales Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    jtalerico wrote: »
    Students cannot re-sale the product.

Good to know, thank you.
    I'll give the trial version a run and thanks for the help.

Happy New Year

Spinner
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Hm!

I bought the CS4 Web Standard Suite (without PS) and got a free upgrade
    to the CS5 Web Premium Suite (with PS) en lieu of the introduction of CS5.
    I got the Education version for 300 bucks which is fully commercialy usable
    and upgradable ... that saved me almost 1k. Maybe you can still find such a
    deal somewhere?
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited January 1, 2011
    Good to know, thank you.
    I'll give the trial version a run and thanks for the help.

Happy New Year

Spinner

If you have some kids or know somebody in education, you can "ask" them to get it for you.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 7, 2011
    If you have some kids or know somebody in education, you can "ask" them to get it for you.
    Or you could just go to your nearest retail outlet and steal it off the shelf for that matter.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Or you could just go to your nearest retail outlet and steal it off the shelf for that matter.

Interesting... Paying a EDU discount is the same as simply stealing from retail. headscratch.gifrolleyes
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 7, 2011
    If you are not eligible for the discount, I suspect Adobe would say yes, it is.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    Some reading, that is if you want to educate yourselves.

http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacherlicensing/

http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacheredition/eligibility.html

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/index.cfm?loc=en_us&term=eula

http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacheredition/eligibility.html

It isn't like you get full access with the Student/Teacher edition. if you guys have read the EULA, you would know you cannot use it for commercial use, simply personal. So, no, it isn't like highway robbery. Guess some of you guys feel it is.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    S if you guys have read the EULA, you would know you cannot use it for commercial use, simply personal.

Where did you find that? AFAIK that has not been true for a very long time.
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    I have not seen an EULA, but this is currently on the website:
    Q: Are there any restrictions on student, faculty, and staff purchases of software through the Adobe Student and Teacher Licensing Program?
    A: Yes. Students, faculty and staff may purchase only one copy of a particular product within a 12-month period. They may purchase software for their personal use only and may not resell or distribute the software.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    jtalerico is incorrect. Adobe clearly makes the following statement at the site cited below, which is directly connected to the student/teacher purchase pricing. It is full access and may be used for both personal and commercial. Period.

http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacheredition/faq.html

Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?
    Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use.

Do Adobe Student and Teacher Editions have restricted functionality?
    Student and Teacher Editions have all the features and functionality of the commercial versions. The software may be used only on a privately owned computer, and the user may not transfer or resell ownership of the Adobe Student and Teacher Edition license

FWIW, I am both an educator and a parent of Master's level students who own the CS5 Premium Design
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    hgernhardtjr -
    good to know, must of changed since CS3 when I remember reading and keeping a copy of this:
    What are the restrictions in using education versions of Adobe products?

A customer may only purchase one copy of any product. Education versions of Former Macromedia products only (Studio 8, Dreamweaver, Flash, etc.) are intended for instructional and administrative purposes only and may not be used for any commercial purpose.
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    hgernhardtjr -
    good to know, must of changed since CS3 when I remember reading and keeping a copy of this:

Correct, that was very true for the Macromedia product line Adobe aquired, but not the Adobe products of the day. My students (and daughters) have been getting PhotoShop with the same right to use commercially for the past several years ... am not sure if it predated CS or not, though, but I think it did.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    I bought it while I was in college and bought CS5 while my wife attends grad school.
    Correct, that was very true for the Macromedia product line Adobe aquired, but not the Adobe products of the day. My students (and daughters) have been getting PhotoShop with the same right to use commercially for the past several years ... am not sure if it predated CS or not, though, but I think it did.