Nikon D80 Color & Contrast Question

travel&photolovertravel&photolover Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited December 30, 2010 in Cameras
I have a Nikon d80 and when I shoot in RAW the image on the preview screen is vibrant and more colorful than when I open it with photoshop to edit (the setting on the camera is on vibrant and it seems to take these adjustments away when opening with PS)

Does anyone know why this is or how to change it?

Comments

• travel&photolovertravel&photolover Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited December 30, 2010
    I have a Nikon d80 and when I shoot in RAW the image on the preview screen is vibrant and more colorful than when I open it with photoshop to edit (the setting on the camera is on vibrant and it seems to take these adjustments away when opening with PS)

Does anyone know why this is or how to change it?

Sorry i posted this in the wrong section and don't know how to delete it...
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Welcome,

Dont worry about the location, it will get moved...

I think when you shoot in Raw, what you see on the LCD is not what you are transferring over, because Raw is Raw. On the LCD you see your image and with Vivid on, you see that because the camera has modified it, but when you transfer you get the Raw, without the modifications.

I usually just do jpg and the files would be sent modified, and you see the same on the pc as the lcd. I will try it (Raw with Vivid) over the weekend with my D90 and see if i get the same results as you.

I know you will get faster response to this question, with all the Raw shooters out here.
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 30, 2010
    Sorry i posted this in the wrong section and don't know how to delete it...
    Moved to Cameras thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    When you shoot raw the camera does a quick auto-post-process to display how it might look after you're done editing it. It boosts the color and contrast usually, and corrects the exposure. Since the setting is on "vibrant," that's how it appears on the LCD. But it doesn't actually change the image, so when you open in photoshop you just see the original image, straight off the sensor.

Am I right?