This place Is Old....I mean OLD

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited December 31, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
1141636663_Mmmzy-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Nice! This is what I can call "A rustic juxtapose!" rolleyes1.gifMe likey very much! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Almost "older than dirt", huh?!?:D
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    I can't argue with that assessment, Jiro. Thanks for the kind words. Where was this scene when they had a window and/or door challenge going on?

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited December 30, 2010
    Almost "older than dirt", huh?!?:D

I tell you what....it would give dirt a real run for the money.:D Right in front of this old building, there are some tabby ruins dating back over 200 years.

Thanks for looking in.

Tom
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Wow...I love it...where is this? That door would make some nice photo ops.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    You did a great job on this one, Tom..... You even got rust in it for us rust junkies...
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    I tell you what....it would give dirt a real run for the money.:D Right in front of this old building, there are some tabby ruins dating back over 200 years.

Thanks for looking in.

Tom
    What' a tabby ruin look like? A pile of aged cats...... rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

I like this shot! thumb.gif

Including the rust! mwink.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited December 30, 2010
    Seneca wrote: »
    Wow...I love it...where is this? That door would make some nice photo ops.

Glad you liked it. It was shot in the quaint little coastal Georgia fishing village of Darien. The town is full of such photo ops.

Tom
    edited December 30, 2010
    Azzaro wrote: »
    You did a great job on this one, Tom..... You even got rust in it for us rust junkies...

Thanks for the compliment, Gary. You know me....I'm going to throw some rust in the pot for us Rust Junkies to feed on every chance I get.

Take care,

Tom
    edited December 30, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    What' a tabby ruin look like? A pile of aged cats...... rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

I like this shot! thumb.gif

Including the rust! mwink.gif

Don

A " pile of aged cats ". rolleyes1.gif

For those who have never seen tabby construction, take a look at the following shot. These particular tabby ruins are over 200 years old and were once the walls to some water-front buildings. These walls are about 18 inches thick.

Tabby is formed when you mix oyster shells ( and other shells as well ) in with a cement-like substrate. It's durable as all get-out but God help you if you got flung up against it. As you can see, there's a gazillion shells waiting to shred you.

Take care,

Tom

1141807988_6Ywvi-XL.jpg
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Tom, you should make a photo story about this location. Now, that would be totally interesting! For the first image I am already imagining it at almost sunset with a very "orangey" glow on the cement wall and a lovely model near the rustic window... awesome! rolleyes1.gifthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Tabby - man made coquina like at the Fort in St Augustine, FA.

Thanks for explaining. Had not heard of it before. Glad I made you laugh!

thumb.gif

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited December 30, 2010
    DonRicklin wrote: »
    Tabby - man made coquina like at the Fort in St Augustine, FA.

Thanks for explaining. Had not heard of it before. Glad I made you laugh!

thumb.gif

Don

Hi Don,

There's a bit of colloquial definition at play here.

A coquina wall, for instance, is made up primarily of coquina shells....which are typically small....and the cement-like substance. If the shells ( and pieces of shells ) run a little bit larger than coquina, then it is most often called " shell dash ". If you move up to shells of the oyster size ( or large fragments of other shells ), then it is called tabby.

In essence, we're talking about very similar construction....shells of some size mixed with the adhesive substrate. You, obviously, see this kind of stuff all over Florida.

Remind me to tell you the story of the night I got chained to the moat gate at the fort in St. Augustine with me wearing only diapers.

Tom
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    Howdy Tom,

Really a neat shot, love all the details and wonderful colors of the
    Rusted Shutters.

I hadn't heard the term Tabby before, really interesting type of
    building materials. I'd bet it keeps it cool in the Summer months.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Being a certified door/window/rust nut, I'll give this image a thumb.gif

Now Tom, if I had a nickle for every story I've heard about you being found only in diapers, at some strange location... :lol4
    Randy
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Great shot, Tom! Perfect comp and color, and just the right amount of shadows to add interest, IMO. I never confessed to being a rust junkie . . . but I am. I love this one!!

Thanks for the building materials lesson. My first thought was also cats, so I'm glad you explained. :D

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • wfellerwfeller Registered Users Posts: 2,625 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Cool shot. It has a nice look.
    Anybody can do it.
    edited December 31, 2010
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

Really a neat shot, love all the details and wonderful colors of the
    Rusted Shutters.

I hadn't heard the term Tabby before, really interesting type of
    building materials. I'd bet it keeps it cool in the Summer months.

Yo Craig,

Thanks for the comments.

These shell and cement-like walls were a reflection of the materials available to early settlers. I don't know what sort of R-rating insulation factor they would test out at but I'd bet it would be pretty high.

Happy New Year to you and Karen,

Tom
    edited December 31, 2010
    rwells wrote: »
    Being a certified door/window/rust nut, I'll give this image a thumb.gif

Now Tom, if I had a nickle for every story I've heard about you being found only in diapers, at some strange location... :lol4

Well, Randy, an endorsement like that is all one needs to start the new year off on a good foot.

As for this other issue....I'm going to vehemently deny anything you bring up about me and diapers.:D

Happy New Year to you, Teresa, and the bunch.

Tom
    edited December 31, 2010
    redleash wrote: »
    Great shot, Tom! Perfect comp and color, and just the right amount of shadows to add interest, IMO. I never confessed to being a rust junkie . . . but I am. I love this one!!

Thanks for the building materials lesson. My first thought was also cats, so I'm glad you explained. :D

Lauren

Thanks, Lauren, for the kind words.

I'm really glad you have decided to come out of the closet. wings.gif I always suspected that you were a Rust Junkie but it's great to have you join our group officially.

Happy New Year,

Tom
    edited December 31, 2010
    wfeller wrote: »
    Cool shot. It has a nice look.

Thanks for your support, Walter.

Happy New Year,

Tom
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Thanks, Tom. Do I get a t-shirt? mwink.gif
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com