Coyote on the move

Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
edited January 5, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
1141850208_3ZCVA-L.jpg

and where is she off to one wonders.
to the beaver lodge, of course!

1141850436_9opdZ-L.jpg

Found these on a sunrise shoot at one of my favorite marshes in NH's Bear Brook State Park. Funny thing is that I heard them far off when I approached the marsh. Given the wind we had yesterday and two days before that, these tracks must have been left last night or very early this morning. I'm kinda bummed we didn't see them, but that's how it goes.

Shot w/the Olympus E-30 and the ZD 12-60mm lens, a polarizer and a travel tripod up to its 3rd segment in snow. :D

Comments

• AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Coyotes are one of my most favorite critters. You might check you histogram the pictures seem a little flat to me. I like both shots........:D
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    really? hm. there isn't a lot of range there, but the hist does hit both sides without clipping.
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    They look good to me, and I love shots of tracks in snow. I don't think of NH as coyote territory so I was surprised by these. I guess they're everywhere!
    Nice shots! I'm glad you and your tripod were able to get out of the deep snow!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    redleash wrote: »
    I don't think of NH as coyote territory so I was surprised by these. I guess they're everywhere!

Lauren
    Coyotes east of the Mississippi are a really interesting story. http://rsbl.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2009/09/23/rsbl.2009.0575.abstract
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Good shots. It was nice of the coyote to walk with such an artistic curve.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
    edited December 31, 2010
    thanks guys. yeah, wasn't that path a stroke of luck. nice, doggie.
    good info kolibri, I knew coyotes were incredibly resilient and adaptive, but that's a new one on me. I had no idea such differences between populations existed.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Howdy,

Really like both shots, and really like the look and feel of the second one.

Love the softness the Light gives the image, a nice warm glow, although
    I doubt it was very warm out there:D
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited January 3, 2011
    thanks Panther. sunrise makes for such glorious light. I only wish it came later in the day. ;D
    edited January 3, 2011
    Hi Wicked--

I just looked at your blog and I really enjoyed reading your assessment of your efforts in 2010 and your goals for 2011. You summed up most of what is in my own mind for 2011 to improve my craft and processing. Sometimes, I go out on a shoot with some images in mind and with a more disciplined approach in mind, part of which includes that walking around part you referred to from your film days. Once I get to the site, I often end up making those spontaneous shots and end up abandoning my plan. As you wrote, sometimes we end up with good and usable shots anyway--but I do believe I would have more quality keepers if I would be more methodical and disciplined. Since I shoot mostly landscapes, it seems like there is no reason to hurry as the scene is seldom going anywhere! :D

Best of luck with your shooting in 2011. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited January 3, 2011
    thanks Lauren for those kind words and having a read on the blog. I do the same thing sometimes, get caught up in the immediate shots and forget my plan. I think both approaches are important (the spontaneous and the methodical), but sometimes I look back on images and dope-slap myself for missing potential. Both of the images in this thread were me acting upon a happy accident at a shoot I planned specifically. I had no idea the tracks would be there, but if I'd shown up at say, noontime, they wouldn't be nearly as wonderful in a photo. I hope we can both fulfill our goals for 2011.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Nice works. Very thoughtful compositions and exposure control in the snow.
    I like the attributes of both. :D
    Would have been bummed to not see the wolves also. Am supposing the beavers had no problems the wolf.
    Michael
    edited January 4, 2011
    Thanks Michael. Glad you liked them, thanks for the compliments.
    edited January 5, 2011
    I'll look forward to seeing your posts as you progress through your shooting efforts this year. I'll keep an eye on your blog too.

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com