Options

Speedliter's Handbook

Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited January 29, 2011 in Technique
I just received my copy of Syl Arena's Speedliter's Handbook. I'm just scanning it, but there is tons of info in it. After reading the TOC, starting to read the beginning, and doing a quick scan of the whole book it looks great. Ton's of pictures to show how different lighting setups work. Lots of foundation stuff so you can figure out how things actually work so you do things you own way. It's strictly about Canon cameras and flashes so it loaded with specifics that I can use.

If I didn't have some other job commitments to finish I just go through it non-stop... but I can't right now but wish I could.

Comments

• Options
    bbeck4x4bbeck4x4 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    When you get a chance I'd like to hear more about it, this book is on my list of books to get, when I last visited the book store they didn't have it in yet.
    Brian Beck
    Spanish Fork, Utah 84660- 360 Virtual Tours - Landscapes
    Google + Facebook Website
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    The books starts out with lighting and color in general, not specific to Canon, and how images are affected by it.

Then it goes into the detail of Speedlites in particular. There are so many details and not all of them are in the Canon manuals, but in any case it was easier to understand them all the way Arena explains it.

Arena's big on doing off camera flash using a long sync cord for one speedlite, and then using that one to sync up all the others. But he also covers all the wireless ways of working with speedlights too.

It covers equipment from stands to flags and everthing in between. He goes through specific recommendation to use with Speedlites.

A big chunk of the books goes over specific lighting techniques, for example portraits with a single speedlite, with actual shots and how they were setup and things to watch out for. I'm just beginning to go through that part but, at least for me, it the part I like the best. My plan is to try out each technique.
    bbeck4x4 wrote: »
    When you get a chance I'd like to hear more about it, this book is on my list of books to get, when I last visited the book store they didn't have it in yet.
  • Options
    bbeck4x4bbeck4x4 Registered Users Posts: 159 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2011
    Thanks, I definitely want to add it to my collection.
    Brian Beck
    Spanish Fork, Utah 84660- 360 Virtual Tours - Landscapes
    Google + Facebook Website