Thanks to our superior Aussie $$$ ... SHOPPING

FL00DYFL00DY Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited January 1, 2011 in Cameras
Hi everyone,

Well just yesterday the AUS$ against the USD hit a new high, was traded as high as $1.02. Sooo I want to go shopping :barb electronically of course from Sydney.

However, what do I buy ??? I've had a D90 for two years now, I have two kit lenses with it and have since bought a 50mm f1.8. I would like to get a 24-70mm f2.8 but my crop sensor worries me :dunno I've read a few things saying that the focal range on a crop sensor would be a bit of a waste, and I tend to agree. So if I wanted a decent FX lens on a D90 to use for portrait work mostly, what would be a good choice? I would like to start taking it a bit more serious this year, and maybe offer photo shoots to friends and family first. They're always saying how much they like my photos of their kids.

So best FX lens on a D90 body for portrait work?
Unfortunately going to a FX body is completely out of the question :(

Thanks for any help :thumb
Have a great NYE
“I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” - Jeremy Clarkson

My Blog: www.floody82.com
My Photos: floody82.smugmug.com

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2010
    I have shot a 24-70f2.8 on my crop bodies and have liked it once I got used to it being just a tad long....but for portrait work it is great and at a wedding I can just back up an extra couple of feet and no worries.....go Sigma...I have loved all my Sigma Lenses ........Sigma Lenses@Sigma ....good luck.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    I wouldn't worry about the 24-70 on crop, do you want to do wide shots? If not then go for it. Look at how your current equipment limits you, and go from there.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    FL00DY wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Well just yesterday the AUS$ against the USD hit a new high, was traded as high as $1.02. Sooo I want to go shopping wings.gif electronically of course from Sydney.

However, what do I buy ??? I've had a D90 for two years now, I have two kit lenses with it and have since bought a 50mm f1.8. I would like to get a 24-70mm f2.8

The 24-70 is a superb lens. If you're looking for a quality lens, this is it.

Truth is, if you ever shot film, you will never get a crop frame to act/feel like 35mm. When and if you go Fx, you'll get what I mean. Until then, just get a darned good/great lens and be Happy! there aint no magic lens or perspective. You know the rules for distance and so forth, which aint rocket science, so just get the glass that can deliver the goods...you nailed it!

Personally I think the 50mm you have is right on target...maybe just a touch short, but as I said This lens you chose is superb~
    tom wise
  • FL00DYFL00DY Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Thanks everyone thumb.gif

angevin1 I agree the 50mm is a fantastic lens, and might try and do some shoots with it. But I also want to take advantage of the $. Buying the 24-70 from a place like Adorama, gives me a saving of about AUS$800 over buying here.
    “I don’t understand bus lanes. Why do poor people have to get to places quicker than I do?” - Jeremy Clarkson

My Blog: www.floody82.com
    My Photos: floody82.smugmug.com
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    FL00DY wrote: »
    Thanks everyone thumb.gif

angevin1 I agree the 50mm is a fantastic lens, and might try and do some shoots with it. But I also want to take advantage of the $. Buying the 24-70 from a place like Adorama, gives me a saving of about AUS$800 over buying here.

W0Wwings.gif
    tom wise