Entry level DSLR

konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited January 2, 2011 in Cameras
Got my K-x for Christmas, but haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it, although I do have some ideas for the challenges :wink.

Now my daughter has the bug - she has a 14 mp p&s and is looking for an inexpensive DSLR. She's looking at the Rebel EOS XS, but I'm thinking she won't be happy with a 10mp camera.

She loves macro photography. Any suggestions??

Thanx
--- Kono ---
Pentax K-x and assorted lenses

Comments

• GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Don't get too caught up in megapixels. Has she made prints from photos on her p&s? If so, how big? 10MP is adequate for up to 20x30, and software for enlargements is readily available for some reason a larger print was required.

In my (limited) experience, macro photography requires specialized lenses, a good tripod, and great technique in regard to focus and lighting. I don't know that any one brand or system has a specific advantage in that regard.
  • TheCheeseheadTheCheesehead Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    I'd pick her up a used 40D before a Rebel. You can find them very reasonable.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    First, I'd suggest Pentax if that's what you have, you two can share lenses. But if you want to get serious about macro (spending a lot on it) then you should do the Canikon thing, they if more complete systems.

I agree with you. I doubt she'll be happy with the Rebel XS. But not because it has 10mp. 10mp is enough, unless 1) she's printing really big, or 2) she likes to crop a lot. The XS is Canon's very bottom line of Rebels (there's only one camera in that linemwink.gif) and you'd be better off getting her either a XSi (an XS is just a stripped-down XSi, but they both go for under $350 today) or a 20D/30D. Yes, those last two are only 8mp, but they're a lot higher quality. The XSi has 12.1mp.

Macro photography is expensive, but Tamron has a 60 f2(I think it's f2) and there's the EF-S 60mm and the MP-E 65mm. The 100 macro, the 100L macro, and the 50 2.5.

Does she NEED that 14mp? My guess is no. If she's doing huge prints or cropping, then yes. Just look at how her current equipment limits her, and choose accordinglythumb.gif
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    But if you want to get serious about macro then you should do the Canikon thing, they if more complete systems.

I don't know that that is the case... Pentax isn't lacking in options for 1:1 macro lenses (35, 50, 100, plus Sigma and Tamron offerings), and there is a Pentax macro ring flash available. The crazy-expensive Canon MP-E is probably the only uniquely Canon thing in the macro world.

Furthermore, macro is often a manual focus endeavor anyway, and backwards compatibility means a huge number of older K-mount lenses can be purchased at a very low cost - the A50mm F2.8 and M100 F4 come to mind.

One thing to consider for macro shooting is the usefulness of live view and even moreso, an articulating LCD.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    actually mp's do not really relegate image size....remember you can alwaus uprez using something like Genuine fractals...I have taken
    less than 8mp to 40 x 60 inches with no problem ....If you get a cam with 6mp that is enuff mp's to work with and not have a problem.....
    If your shooting pentax then get her a pentax so you can share lenses.....take a look at Sigma Lenses...been shooting them for over 30 yrs
    and have no complaints....any good lens with an extension tube set is great for macro work and less expensive than a 1:1 macro lens.....
    remember taht unless the specs say the lens is 1:1 (1 to 1) then it is only close focus not true macro......but keeping your daughter into
    the same system you have is a financially prudent way to go........or find her a used 8mp Konica Minolta A2 with a macro 28-200 lens
    permanently attached(again I have taken an sold 40x60 inch images of this cam)....it is a great cam...........but still a p/s even tho it
    was considered prosumer........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited December 31, 2010
    BTW I meant they have more complete systems.

Good point about the live view, and yes Pentax has a huge selection of older K-mount lenses. I'm talking mainly accessories like macro bellows, extension tubes, TCs (although there are plenty of 3rd party ones) etc. Pentax does have a huge selection of lenses and that is one good thing about them,
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    << She loves macro photography. Any suggestions?? >>

Somewhat depends on the subject matter, imo.
    If static, still-life stuff then some things are more useful than with other situations, eg tripods, live view, stopped down metering, bellows, macro rails, reversed and MF lenses etc.
    Dynamic, outdoors / real-world situations with live, mobile subjects is a rather different matter - and at some stage you may well have to consider some flash eqt (a std flash rig (+ arm) being more versatile for non-macro work and less expensive that dedicated macro lights)
    If you can swing it, I'd suggest a dedicated macro lens - eg Tamron 90 to give her the results she wants without any 'unnecessary' messing about - ie framing/composing the pic at max aperture before taking it - without having to be concerned about anything else :)

<< I'd pick her up a used 40D before a Rebel. >>

Would agree - not just because I also have one, but because the main controls are separate and this is useful / convenient for macro when working in manual mode.
    I've only used live view with cam on a tripod, btw - and not for macro.

Be aware of the true working distances of macro lenses - ie the distance from the subject to the front element (some mfrs give distance to sensor plane) ... and whether the front element is at the front of the lens barrel, or inset slightly (so a hood is less necessary) ... if a hood is added, this affects wd and can have lighting implications too esp @ max mag.

pp
    edited December 31, 2010
    Does the 40D have live view? I know the XSi does. Not saying that I'm for the XSi, but LV is important for macro work. The thing is, the 20D/30D don't have LV. You'll pay twice as much for a 40D than for a XSi. It's a LOT better, yes, but do you want to drop 600 bucks on someone who's an unproven photog... that reminds me, does she know manual mode/DOF/ISO/the basics? That's very important, and I suggest she learn that on her P&S before getting a DSLR.
    edited January 1, 2011
    << Does the 40D have live view? >>
    Yes

<< but LV is important for macro work.>>
    Curious re what circumstances / setup / subject matter you have used LV for macro - and been satisfied with the results?

pp
    edited January 1, 2011
    Not the mobile kind you mentioned. Just still subjects where you're using a tripod, it can be helpful.
  • Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Manually focusing is much easier using LV at 10x than the viewfinder. AF for macro often doesn't work all that well.
    << Does the 40D have live view? >>
    Yes

<< but LV is important for macro work.>>
    Curious re what circumstances / setup / subject matter you have used LV for macro - and been satisfied with the results?

pp
    edited January 1, 2011
    I suggest that this has returned to my first comment in post #9 ... re likely subject matter.

pp
  • konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Thanx for the replies everybody. My daughter is pretty much convinced that she wants a canon or nikon - and is looking for something that she'll want to keep for a while. She doesn't plan on living at home forever and doesn't want to worry about the availability of lenses (and yes, I am more than willing to share). She is going to explore her options some more before deciding, but you guys definitely gave her a lot to think about.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Dan7312 wrote: »
    Manually focusing is much easier using LV at 10x than the viewfinder. AF for macro often doesn't work all that well.
    Agree with Dan on LV with Macro - I think it is a "must have" feature as many shots are difficult to compose using the view finder unless you have super fit knees and back.