For You Dad ....

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited January 3, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Every year I walk through snow to put a flower on my Dad's grave .. this time I took a photo for my Mom. Took some digging to find the headstone, but this is what I came up with. I know ... I didn't dig deep enough for the whole name or headstone to be visible, but I was over knee deep in snow and my boots were full of that beautiful white stuff. Ankles were freezing. Did selective coloring on it, but not sure I like it.

1142547741_fw3g9-L.jpg

Comments

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Howdy Mary,

This is stunning, really well worth the trudging through the Snow.

I know Your Mom loved it, and seeing the Rx Symbol was a Special
    Treat.

Know how this tugs at Your Heartstrings, but you've really outdone
    yourself with this one.

Fitting Tribute, Those that Are Loved, are Never Forgotten!!!

Kindest Regards,

CK
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Mary,

This is stunning, really well worth the trudging through the Snow.

I know Your Mom loved it, and seeing the Rx Symbol was a Special
    Treat.

Know how this tugs at Your Heartstrings, but you've really outdone
    yourself with this one.

Fitting Tribute, Those that Are Loved, are Never Forgotten!!!

Kindest Regards,

CK

Hi Craig ..

Thank you for your kind words.

I just sent it off to my Mom in an email .. so I don't know if she likes it or not. What I do know .. Dad would of thought I was crazy to do it, but would of loved it too iloveyou.gif
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    I love the idea, Mary and the high contrast between the rose and the snow. Maybe, just maybe... it would look stronger if the rose is lying and not standing. JMO. As is, it is still a very strong and heartwarming image. thumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
    edited December 31, 2010
    jiro wrote: »
    I love the idea, Mary and the high contrast between the rose and the snow. Maybe, just maybe... it would look stronger if the rose is lying and not standing. JMO. As is, it is still a very strong and heartwarming image. thumb.gif

Hi Jiro ..

I agree with you that laying the rose down would of been a much stronger image. When I took this photo it was just suppose to be a family photo. Showing my Mom the rose out there. I didn't even think about ways it would look better rolleyes1.gif

Next time I'll lay it down with hopes the headstone is peaking out of the snow.

Thanks for taking a look and commenting :D
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Hi Jiro ..

I agree with you that laying the rose down would of been a much stronger image. When I took this photo it was just suppose to be a family photo. Showing my Mom the rose out there. I didn't even think about ways it would look better rolleyes1.gif

Next time I'll lay it down with hopes the headstone is peaking out of the snow.

I like the rose standing up, as it symbolizes - to me, anyway - life/rebirth/resurrection.

Sometimes, without thinking, our subconscious is more intelligent than our later, rational thinking, and we do the best thing reflexively at the outset as I think you did by standing the rose up.
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Mary, very well done shot. More importantly how it ties back to your love with your father. I hope it brings back memories of all the good times together.
    edited December 31, 2010
    sara505 wrote: »
    I like the rose standing up, as it symbolizes - to me, anyway - life/rebirth/resurrection.

Sometimes, without thinking, our subconscious is more intelligent than our later, rational thinking, and we do the best thing reflexively at the outset as I think you did by standing the rose up.

Thank you for your kind words :D

I like how you symbolized the rose .. life/rebirth and resurrection.
    edited December 31, 2010
    bgarland wrote: »
    Mary, very well done shot. More importantly how it ties back to your love with your father. I hope it brings back memories of all the good times together.

Thank you Brad --

I have many happy memories to carry me into my old age iloveyou.gif
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Very beautiful its one of those pics you dont need any words for it speaks volumes
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    edited January 1, 2011
    jackiejay wrote: »
    Very beautiful its one of those pics you dont need any words for it speaks volumes

Thank you so much :D
    edited January 1, 2011
    Beautiful.

Thank you :D
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    A very poignant photo, Mary, to say the least. I like the orientation of the rose as it is. I don't generally go for selective coloring, but I think it's most appropriate here. I know this meant a lot to you....thanks for sharing the moment with us.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited January 1, 2011
    A very poignant photo, Mary, to say the least. I like the orientation of the rose as it is. I don't generally go for selective coloring, but I think it's most appropriate here. I know this meant a lot to you....thanks for sharing the moment with us.

Tom

Happy New Years Tom wave.gif

I'm glad you liked it. Never took a photograph in the past years, but for some reason it seemed it needed to be taken this time.

The first 4 letters of the last name is showing....HAAK ... My Dad was always called the "Hawk" for short. Seems kind of fitting too. Didn't do it on purpose. Saw it when I was editing. Granted only family members would know this, but thought I'd share :D Like Sara mentioned .. the subconscious is more intelligent.

Selective coloring .. my first time doing it :D Don't know if I'll do it again tho.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    That is and outstanding image, Mary......iloveyou.gif
    edited January 1, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    That is and outstanding image, Mary......iloveyou.gif

Thank you so much .. that means a lot coming from you :D
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Very thoughtful of your dad's memory thumb.gif

I like the image Mary!

Good comp with the negative space!
    Randy
    edited January 2, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    Very thoughtful of your dad's memory thumb.gif

I like the image Mary!

Good comp with the negative space!

Thank you Randy :D
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    I think it is wonderfully done, Mary. Clearly, you were moved to capture what you did by some instinct and you did so very nicely. I am honored you shared such a personal moment with us. It makes me think of my dad, whose 80th birthday would've been New Year's Eve. Memories are hard but comforting at the same time, aren't they?

Take care-
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited January 2, 2011
    redleash wrote: »
    I think it is wonderfully done, Mary. Clearly, you were moved to capture what you did by some instinct and you did so very nicely. I am honored you shared such a personal moment with us. It makes me think of my dad, whose 80th birthday would've been New Year's Eve. Memories are hard but comforting at the same time, aren't they?

Take care-
    Lauren

Thank you Lauren for the kind words. Your right .. memories are hard, but comforting too at the same time. Don't know why that is either....
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Thank you Lauren for the kind words. Your right .. memories are hard, but comforting too at the same time. Don't know why that is either....

A beautiful honor! It is A very emotional image to me.
    edited January 3, 2011
    Eia wrote: »
    A beautiful honor! It is A very emotional image to me.

Thank you Eia -- it is for me too.

Daughters and Dads .. we can be very close can't we :D
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    What select coloring? Doesn't look it a bit. Its a fine piece Mary. Well done.
    clap.gif
    Michael
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Mary it is a very good shot, if you hadn't mentioned the selective coloring, I probably would not have noticed it. Very moving and very clean.

Hope your Mom likes it.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
    edited January 3, 2011
    DaddyO wrote: »
    What select coloring? Doesn't look it a bit. Its a fine piece Mary. Well done.
    clap.gif

Thank you Michael -- :D
    edited January 3, 2011
    Mary it is a very good shot, if you hadn't mentioned the selective coloring, I probably would not have noticed it. Very moving and very clean.

Hope your Mom likes it.

Hello Brad --

I'm surprised more people didn't notice it. Glad you liked it ... Mom did too :D