Ideas and Help Needed.

Meh!Meh! Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited December 31, 2010 in People
Hey guys, I have been a lurker to this site for YEARS and admire the work done here. I have now joined in hopes that you can help me out. You guys are amazing.

I am a perfectly amateur photographer who has a Nikon D50 that I got for college graduation 5 years ago. I love taking pictures, but the more time goes on, the more I realize how important it is to take pictures of your family and loved ones.

That being said, I just don't feel like my pictures are as 'memorable' and good as they could be. I am hoping that you all can help give me some guidance to help me to that next level.

As stated above I have a Nikon D50 and I normally shoot with a Nikon DX 18-55 lens, but I also have a 30-80 and a 70-300 that I pull out ocassionally. I do not have an extra flash, and do not see myself being able to get one anytime in the near future.

Here is a variety of shots I have taken the past year or so to give you an idea of what I need help with. (actually it is just one file, it seems it will not let me upload any more.)

Any help or tips is appreciated.

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Welcome aboard first of all....
    And it sounds like you have shot quite a bit as I have of my family.
    I see you only posted one example as I think that's all you can attach to a post.
    Perhaps you have a site where you upload to that you can link here?
    Would give me a better idea of how to advice you :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • tmelotmelo Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    I've lurked on this site for a long time as well. Plenty of folks that are happy to answer questions or offer guidance. I'm not sure where you from a learning and research point of view so I'll start with what I did....

I really only started shooting with a dslr 3 years ago, primarily used a P&S on auto prior to that. The first thing I can suggest is to not use a mode that does not give you at least some control over camera settings.

Having said this, now you need to make sure you understand most if not all of the functions and features your camera has. If you don't you will never use anything other than Auto.

When I upgraded to my DSLR I went with the Volume 1 of the Kebly - Digital Photography Books. Not sure why I went with this but I was glad I did. For me it was useful because it go me started fast. I also purchased a book to walk me through using my camera, I think it was the Field Guide series but I'm not positive.

However, I really needed more understanding of my camera settings and how each played a part in exposure. For example, how changing aperture can slow shutter speed, or conversely increase ISO to increase shutter speed. I learned most of this from this Dgrin thread and a site called Digital Photography School.

Again, this is what worked for me so YMMV.

Good Luck!
  • Meh!Meh! Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 31, 2010
    try this link. I am having trouble uploading more than one picture at a time.

http://picasaweb.google.com/wysiwyg412/DropBox?feat=directlink
    edited December 31, 2010
    Meh! wrote: »
    try this link. I am having trouble uploading more than one picture at a time.

http://picasaweb.google.com/wysiwyg412/DropBox?feat=directlink

Cool
    I think you can only attach one file at a time here
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited December 31, 2010
    Looking at your album I would suggest trying to shoot without the on-board flash for starters...
    Set the camera yo A mode and bump your ISO and shoot at the widest aperture possible while indoors.
    Utilize window light as often as possible.
    I say this because you mention that a dedicated flash is not within your reach right now....

Also don't be afraid to shot candid style, it will teach to to capture moments vs having people pose for you all the time.

If you can spare 100 dollars, pick up a nifty fifty (50MM), it's a great little lens for shooting in low light.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited December 31, 2010
    2010%2012%2011%20daniel%20xmas%20party%20%2824%29.JPG

2010%2002%2003%20tim%20in%20the%20snow%20after%20the%20rain.JPG

2010%2012%2024%20xmas%20eve%20plv%20blake%20and%20chili.JPG
    edited December 31, 2010
    Thank you! My husband has shown me how to upload some pictures so I feel more comfortable with that. Thank you for your tips, I will try to upload more as time goes on.
  • SurfdogSurfdog Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    My suggestion would be to move your subjects outside. Use the on-camera flash for fill if you need, but getting folks outside with some distance between them and the background will focus more attention on the person. Blur out the background by using a wide f-stop. It will also not look as "snapshot" as the shots of your subject in front of a living room wall or fireplace. Here are a couple of samples of what I mean:

RachelMark_450h.jpg

Gibbs_450h.jpg

Post some of your photos afterwards. I would love to see them.
    http://www.dvivianphoto.com

Don't worry. I can fix you in photoshop.
  • tmelotmelo Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2010
    Meh! wrote: »
    I do not have an extra flash, and do not see myself being able to get one anytime in the near future.

Just an after thought on flash. I'm not sure what flashes you are looking at price wise but if you want a decent budget flash you can try these:

Vivitar 285 HV
    - You can find them for sale used between $40 - $70 depending on condition.

DealExtreme also has some cost effective flashes that seem to be fairly effective.

In my earlier post I forgot to mention strobist.com and lightenupandshoot.com . Strobist is a great place to learn about flash and gear. But be careful it can lead to "gear envy".