Unstable

MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited January 2, 2011 in Holy Macro
First time taking a macro shot - looking forward to learning from this group. Happy New Year!

Unstable
1143279466_Wr27H-L-1.jpg

Comments

• Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    I like the idea, and it's a refreshing change to bugs and snowflakes (not that there's a problem with that).

I struggle only with the lack of DoF which is always an issue with macro, of course. Do you have the means to take shots with different points of focus, and then stack the images? I would think it'd stack very nicely with the clean lines of the pills on the black surface.
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Thanks for the feedback. Yes I have the means to stack, I just don't know how... at least I've never done it, but now is the time. :) I'll give it a shot today and post an update. It will be a good learning experience! :)
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    What method have you got? I tend to stick to Photoshop, but others swear by CombineZM, others by Zerene Stacker.
    I haven't had much luck with the last two, but I think it's because I don't have steady enough equipment. I'm after a focus rail to do it properly...

Good luck, and look forward to seeing what you get.
    edited January 1, 2011
    I'm using Helicon. I'm new at this, and wow, it's harder than it looks, but WOW it's fun!

Turns out the white pills are really clipping and aren't the best subject for me to start learning this stuff. Going to find some different subjects and keep going.

Thanks...
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Good start - does make an interesting change.
    I would just get used to the DOF and focus problems with single shots with macro first before plunging into focus stacking.

I did a macro hints and tips thread you may find useful on another forum here
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=807056

Brian V.
    edited January 2, 2011
    Thanks for the link. This is helpful.