Options

Breaking into a new area

ADMIT PhotographyADMIT Photography Registered Users Posts: 431 Major grins
edited January 1, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
Hey all I'm moving to the Hampton, Virginia area in about 25 days and I'm trying to come up with some ideas how I can market myself and get my name out. Anyone have some suggestions?

I was also wondering if there were any DGrinners in that area that would be interested in shooting sometime?
Facebook - Twitter
Nikon D200, D80, SB600, nikon 50mm 1.8, nikon 18-135 3.5-4.6, nikon 70-200

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Magnetic signs on vehicles....have shirts printed with company logo....get into public places and shoot like crazy....let it be known in your church and friends churches that your a photog....30 yrs ago when I started I picked up prospects at bars, concerts ans such places....hand out cards like there is no tomorrow.......
    Take wife or girl friend (depending on your martial status) to the parks and other places people congregate and do shoots...get friends to pose for family portraits in the same kinds of places and NEVER EVER be without your business cards......my wallet is full of my cards, my CF wallets are stuffed with my business cards in the extra holding area, my camera bags have business cards in them and my vehicles glove box has 1 full box of b-cards ......when you get down to your last 1k order more.....but get your presence known...........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Magnetic signs on vehicles...

Personally i would be pretty careful with the Vehicle signage.

Everyone I know that has put signage on their Vehicle has had the thing broken into seemingly every time they walked away from it.
    Maybe magnetic would be better in that you can remove them easily and decide when you want to publicise yourself and when discretion may be a better idea.

As for getting started, I'd first do some research. Find out what is on offer in the area and where the market is saturated and where teh opportunities are. If there are 50 shooters doing wedding withnin a short distance from you and you don't or can't offer anything particularly different or outstanding, then your going to be in for a tough time no matter what you do.

You may find that there is a gap in the market and if you can then research that that you can create a demand if one dosen't exist, then you would be better off going to the paddock that's empty rather than where all the other cattle are trying to graze.

You would also do well to search Guerilla marketing on the net for some different low/no cost ideas for marketing and promoting yourself.

Having a great folio is helpful but not at all a nessicity to being a successful shooter.
    Being an excellent marketer is.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Glort wrote: »
    Everyone I know that has put signage on their Vehicle has had the thing broken into seemingly every time they walked away from it.

Never been broken into due to signage....but it seems I have had a hard time with people taking the signs.....now i add a spot of superglue to all 4 corners (tiny spot) and the alarm helps a lot also...........but I never keep equipment in my car...if I am going to shoot, when i get to location all gear comes out of car and I have no trunk (Izuzu Trooper) so everyone can see there is nothing in it when I am not in it.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website