A Stunning Ride Through Majestic Live Oaks

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited January 4, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
From your point of view, this dirt and gravel road continues on for another unbelievable one and one half miles....just as you see it here. The ride under the Live Oak canopy is breath-taking. It leads you to Wormslow, which is just south of Savannah proper.

James Oglethorpe and a small cluster of settlers landed at the far end of this road in early 1734. Among the group was a man named Noble Jones. He and his compatriots intended to establish the first permanent settlement in Georgia. Times were tough and Noble and his family were the only ones of the original group to survive the venture. He ultimately built a substantial tabby home on a large tract of land overlooking the coastal waters and he called this place " Wormslow ". Over the years, it also came to be spelled as " Wormsloe ". The tabby ruins of his home are the oldest known in the Savannah area.

Jones went on to become a very principal character in the development of Georgia as one of the original colonies. He died in 1775...right before the War of Independence broke out. All evidence indicates that he would have been proud of the outcome of the war.

1143542063_wa5kd-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• jeeprjeepr Registered Users Posts: 95 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Looks like a beautiful place...thanks for the history of it as well. I love to learn the origins of people/places.
    Please don't edit my images or use them without my permisson.
    Amanda's | Photocreations
    http://amandasphotocreations.smugmug.com/
  • jackiejayjackiejay Registered Users Posts: 714 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2011
    Thanks for the history and the pic its a very pretty place:)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    jeepr wrote: »
    Looks like a beautiful place...thanks for the history of it as well. I love to learn the origins of people/places.

Thanks for looking in.

It was a very interesting 2 hours we spent there absorbing all the sights and history of the site. It really brought home the realization of just how daunting it must have been for these initial settlers to come to a new land and try and carve out an existence.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Hi Tom ..... Wish I had a drive like that leading to my home...... Nice picture and interesting story........ thumb.gifgary
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Howdy Tom,

Happy New Year.

Looks like another stunning place, KK and I keep talking about getting to that
    part of the Country, looks like Savannah and Charleston are two
    wonderful places to see and stay.

Give our Best To D and The Mousers!!!
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited January 2, 2011
    jackiejay wrote: »
    Thanks for the history and the pic its a very pretty place:)

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for your looking in. This beautiful drive has been used in several movies. I'm pretty sure it was used in " Forest Gump ", as were other Savannah sites.

Tom
    edited January 2, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    Hi Tom ..... Wish I had a drive like that leading to my home...... Nice picture and interesting story........ thumb.gifgary

Yo Gary,

Beautiful drive for sure....but I'd hate to have to rake all the oak leaves.:D

Take care,

Tom
    edited January 2, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

Happy New Year.

Looks like another stunning place, KK and I keep talking about getting to that
    part of the Country, looks like Savannah and Charleston are two
    wonderful places to see and stay.

Give our Best To D and The Mousers!!!

You picked two winners, Craig, when you picked Savannah and Charleston. Both are right at the top of my list as places in which to spend some time....very similar in many regards, yet distinctly different in others.

Take care my friend,

Tom
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Yo Gary,

Beautiful drive for sure....but I'd hate to have to rake all the oak leaves.:D

Take care,

Tom

I have been in the desert for 30 years, I forgot about raking leaves:D I changed my mind about the drive:D gary
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    I have been in the desert for 30 years, I forgot about raking leaves:D I changed my mind about the drive:D gary
    rolleyes1.gifToo late. You remembered and thats enough. Might as well go and
    enjoy. Works work enjoyed no matter where your at. Nobody has told me
    that yet but I wish they would so I could say someone did.

Nice piece Tom thumb.gif Another very lovely spot on the planet. And the story sweetens it ever so much.
    Michael
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Beautiful drive

I'd guess that most people haven't had the opportunity to try and photograph such an image. This is a VERY difficult image to capture, too much latitude for our sensors. Even though you were shooting quartering into the sun, and therefore some flare is washing out the image, you did a very nice job with the exposure. I must admit that I was frustrated with my few attempts when I was in the area.

I'll be back your way some time and you can tutor me on it thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited January 3, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    Beautiful drive

I'd guess that most people haven't had the opportunity to try and photograph such an image. This is a VERY difficult image to capture, too much latitude for our sensors. Even though you were shooting quartering into the sun, and therefore some flare is washing out the image, you did a very nice job with the exposure. I must admit that I was frustrated with my few attempts when I was in the area.

I'll be back your way some time and you can tutor me on it thumb.gif

Hey Pard,

Well, you're absolutely right in your assessment of the difficulty in pulling this shot off. Had I been able to choose, I'd surely have picked a different time of the day. Had I been thinking properly, I would also have gone down the road a little ways and turned around and shot the scene from the other direction. That would have, at least, helped mitigate the flare issue. As it was, I just tried to make the best of the deal.

This scene is so striking in person that it demands I return and give it another go....and the next time I'll have my tripod handy in case I need to shoot several exposures and merge them.

I tell you, brother, we could have a ball in Savannah. Shootin' and eatin'.....it doesn't get any better than that.:D

Ride safe,

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Looks like a beautiful road to meander down. Certainly makes me want to take the drive.

Is any part of Nobel Jone's home visible?
    edited January 4, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Looks like a beautiful road to meander down. Certainly makes me want to take the drive.

Is any part of Nobel Jone's home visible?

Hey Mary,

A fair amount of the Noble Jone's home exterior wall structure is still there.
    You can also see a little bit of some remaining interior wall sections. The well for water, which is located within the exterior walls, is also evident.

Among his many traits, Jones was a master craftsman and his home was built to last. From various sources of evidence, they've been able to develop renderings of what the home looked like when it was first completed.....quite contemporary to my eye. Interestingly, some of the features remind me of a fort....which, in effect, it actually was.

Google up Noble Jones and you should find pictures of his house as it is and as it was.

Take care,

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Hey Mary,

A fair amount of the Noble Jone's home exterior wall structure is still there.
    You can also see a little bit of some remaining interior wall sections. The well for water, which is located within the exterior walls, is also evident.

Among his many traits, Jones was a master craftsman and his home was built to last. From various sources of evidence, they've been able to develop renderings of what the home looked like when it was first completed.....quite contemporary to my eye. Interestingly, some of the features remind me of a fort....which, in effect, it actually was.

Google up Noble Jones and you should find pictures of his house as it is and as it was.

Take care,

Tom

Googled it .. found this in case anyone else is interested. Interesting read.